What types of spark plugs and wires to use on a gts?

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, as the title says what kind of sparks plugs and wires are to be used on a 1998 gts (relatively stock).

I know that the type of wires will be pretty subjective to people, but my guess is spark plugs alot of people will agree on. I guess some spark plugs run hotter, etc than others and there is likely a plug that is suited to how the viper runs. I plan on replacing my plugs for sure (in all my vehicles), but will be doing some tests on the wires before i spend the cash on them.

Anyways..about the plugs....NGK? Bosch? Champion? Other? :) (and yes I did use the search function before starting this thread, but the results i get always ****)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have AB's (supporting vendor and fellow Viper enthusiast ) wires. They are well spoken of on this forum. The OEM Mopar wires are good also; but, they do definitely degrade over time in that hot engine environment and should be replaced after *** miles, according to Chuck Tator.

As for plugs, consensus here and by the experts seems to be that you don't get any better performance by spending more than you would on the stock type copper core Champion RC12ECC (438)

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, as a rule of thumb, is it mileage or age of car (or some combination of both) that determines when wires degrade and should be replaced? Seems to me, that mileage would be greatest factor...my car only has 8,200 miles on it, but 5,200 were driven in Florida by original owner, pretty darn hot!

Yes, Quality Wires are the wires to go with according the many on here. For plugs, defer to the experts!

Any thoughts?

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike (99 R/T 10) was a great source of info when I wanted to change out the wires and spark plugs on both my Vipers.

I also spoke with AB. He was great to deal with and he even followed up with me after the sale.

Note that on my ’02 I removed the heat shields because I wanted to show off the Belanger headers and the wires. I opted for the hi-temp boots, added heat socks and tasteful heat strips to protect my plastic parts. If you’re thinking of doing the same then do the research since this is a mixed topic on the board.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you what not to use. Bosch Platinum+4. My son had them in his 300M and just had a $2,500 repair bill after cylinder 1 ate two of the four electrodes.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but are oem spec plugs champion, ngk, bosche? or doesnt matter? (EDIT: Sorry I didnt see all the other replies before i posted this)

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do wires have to be done the same time as spark plugs? or just when the wires degrade/crack, etc. This isn;t just information for my viper but also for my charger (50000miles...plugs and wires not done yet) and caravan (100,000miles...unknown when the plugs and wires were done last)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replace both at the same time. Also, make sure to replace one wire at a time so as not to cross any of the wires while replacing them.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, Dave!

By the way, anyone have a picture of engine with MoPar blue wires?

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for Ab's Quality Wires. Just put on a set when the Mopar wires quit after 5,000 miles. I guess too much heat under the hood with the TT put a quick demise to the stock set. I had a fouled plug on the #1 cylinder with the Stock Mopar set.

Bandit400

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for Ab's Quality Wires. Just put on a set when the Mopar wires quit after 5,000 miles. I guess too much heat under the hood with the TT put a quick demise to the stock set. I had a fouled plug on the #1 cylinder with the Stock Mopar set.

Bandit400

hmmm, I think I will go just for spark plugs now. Will do the night time spray test to see if the wires are bad, but if not I wont replace them.

On a similar note I ran the GTS and SRT on the champion website. I guess the GTS had copper top plugs and the SRT had platinum. Any real difference in quality? or just go with the SRT?

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought some Champion plugs, the Dodge dealer had them for less than $2/piece. Walmart didn't have the correct model number plug, but there Champions were selling for $1.30-$1.50/piece.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. thanks guys. Darth Menance, let me know if I can help in anyway.
i havent bought spark plugs yet, but i was wondering about the gts plugs (copper) vs the srt plugs... what model are the srt plugs and do you know how they are different than the gts copper plugs?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i havent bought spark plugs yet, but i was wondering about the gts plugs (copper) vs the srt plugs... what model are the srt plugs and do you know how they are different than the gts copper plugs?

If your car is stock or just basic upgrades, stick with the stock Champ copper plugs. They do a good job and they are cheap. If you get a set of wires from me, I will throw in a set of Champ plugs. I should have 1 or two sets left from the last promo I did.