Whats the best tire pressure for the drags

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd,

Get my video on how to drag race your viper. It contains everything that you need to get the most out of your viper at the drags.

Your pressure is too high and your higher numerical gearing is aggrevating traction loss. The first 60' of the race is PARAMOUNT. Wheelspin equals slower elapsed time.

Take care and good luck,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd,

I think 29lbs is way too much. I have gotten 1.90 60' times with 22lbs in the rear. I personally think that any less than 20lbs is too little for the tire and you start to lose the benefit.

The 335 tire is actually kind of slim for a 13" rim - you can see it if you look at the tire - it's stretched onto the rim. You can go pretty low in pressure (20lbs) and not have to worry really about cupping.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd,
What you really want is the pattern on the pavement; the lower the pressure, the more likely you will have 2 rubber tracks at the width of the tires; the higher the pressure, the more likely you will have 1 rubber track, but not the complete width of the tires. Do some burn outs, and set the pressure to give the tire track that is closest to the full width of the tire. Then lower the pressure but be sure to maintain a contact patch that is full width. Remember, the bigger the contact patch, the more the tire is giving you traction. If the contact patch is light in the center, put in more air; light on the edges, let out some air. As you heat the tires, the pressure will increase, and the effects mentioned above will come in to play.
Good Luck,

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd,

I recently run 18 in the rears and 48 up front without much sucess hooking up either. I'll be trying 20 or 22 next time.

Tom,

I need that DVD! Are they shipping yet?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do as ruckdr suggested and do burnouts to determine the best pressure, but you're going to waste a lot of rubber and time to do this test... I'd say just set the pressures at 20psi and see how you do. Try 18 (I bet you wont like it), then 22 and I bet you will like 20-22 the best...

jusy my 0.02

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't seen tom's video but agree that U shouldn't have changed your gears.U can't hook with stock gears.Take em out ,get your money back,yea thats the ticket.? how U gonna hook on the street,average street has oils,antifreeze,ect.Now something personal,I ran 12.34@385rwhp,2.03 ave.60ft.115mph.I'll go teens next week and soon 11.99 or quicker with just tubes and K&N.40+IVCA witnessed.I ran tires at 30psi,the reason is safety,when your touling about U might run into a bike at highway speed,doesn't seem like a good idea going 120+ on 20psi.PS my wife didn't get post pardom,I did
You must be registered for see images