When will the convertible Gen5 be available?

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When will the convertible Gen5 be available? Any word on whether they will have a mechanical top or will it still be manual? I hope that SRT steps up to the plate and delivers something better than the old version and actually competes with what is out there. Thank you, in advance.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you want a $175k Viper convertible I'd settle for a manual top. IMHO a targa roof is the best option with a creative way to store the top in car. Lambo got it right with their roadster. The coupe rear end looks goofy on a convertible. It's a design error. The vert needs a unique rear

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Gen5 convertible does not exist....and is only a figment of your imagination....

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When will the convertible Gen5 be available? Any word on whether they will have a mechanical top or will it still be manual? I hope that SRT steps up to the plate and delivers something better than the old version and actually competes with what is out there. Thank you, in advance.
After owning two long term RT10's I can honestly say I absolutely think the Gen IV vert is perfect as is. Easy up easy down no heavy auto system needed. Targa and build it yourself soft tops were a pain, as well as a hard top that was either on or off and could not be stowed in the car. If SRT would have built the Gen 5 as a vert I would be driving one!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We saw the vet design last fall when Ralph gave a peak at VOI. It was basically the same as the current vert design. But it was unapproved at the time. There's been rumor its a surprise for the 2014 model yr, or that its coming as a model update in 2015. So all we have so far is a decent idea of the design but only rumor on when / if its coming. Frankly, to me I can't believe its not coming considering how popular the vert Viper is, regardless of current sales. But we'll see.

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the way the coupe looks but I would never buy one. If SRT wants me to trade up they need to build the convertible. I love driving my Viper with the top down and I'm sure many people will wait also for the vert. Until then I will enjoy my mint 2003.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This would be a great option ! Best of both worlds ! :D :2tu:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It will be a manual top like the the GEN III & IV's. One thing you could expect that is different is that there may be bifferent colors for the top material. But bottom like is it will be manual which is fine by me.

Unless you want a $175k Viper convertible I'd settle for a manual top. IMHO a targa roof is the best option with a creative way to store the top in car. Lambo got it right with their roadster. The coupe rear end looks goofy on a convertible. It's a design error. The vert needs a unique rear

The coupe rear in is what we are gonna get. While yes what we were shown at VOI was not approved I can't imagine they would stray too far from what we were shown. The car is gonna look bad asp with that coupe rear end.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be a manual top like the the GEN III & IV's. One thing you could expect that is different is that there may be bifferent colors for the top material. But bottom like is it will be manual which is fine by me.

The coupe rear in is what we are gonna get. While yes what we were shown at VOI was not approved I can't imagine they would stray too far from what we were shown. The car is gonna look bad asp with that coupe rear end.

Agree. This waiting is getting so old. I just managed to calm myself by buying a 2014 GT500, for something new, while I hang on to my 08 viper waiting for the vert or an irresistable coupe situation. Until I see the vert, I don't think I'd make any decisions in case it is truly the bomb .. hoping.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1992 till 1996 before the RT-10 morphed into the GTS, 2003 till 2006 till the Vert became the Coupe. Government regulations, crash testing, funding for an additional model, all in the equation, so if they get out a convertible by 2015 logic would say they are moving faster than in the past. Ralph showed pictures to give us all an indication of the future, but we have to realize the timetable for developing and approving new models, imho!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1992 till 1996 before the RT-10 morphed into the GTS, 2003 till 2006 till the Vert became the Coupe. Government regulations, crash testing, funding for an additional model, all in the equation, so if they get out a convertible by 2015 logic would say they are moving faster than in the past. Ralph showed pictures to give us all an indication of the future, but we have to realize the timetable for developing and approving new models, imho!

Yea, you're most probably right, as usual. My brain tells me '15-'16, my inner child screams that maybe it's a surprise addition to the '14 model year, but my inner child is goofball, lol. For me, I'd just like a timeline, if it were certain to be 2-3 yrs away, I'd probably move on a mineral pearl, silver, or red coupe base with TP only and call it my interim gratification.

I almost bought the new GT500 I'm getting in a vert & changed to a glass roof, not in love with the vert design on the mustang and the glass roof is just an insane option, adds only 20lbs and is crazy cool to drive around in. I know it's way out there, but if the viper came with a pano/glass roof, I'd be all over it.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given that SRT already teased the vert, I bet it will be a 2014.5 model. You'll see it next summer in the dealerships, if CAAP gets their act together.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stryker Green with Tan Top=Drooolllll.............but buy a built one...don't dare order it LOL

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost bought the new GT500 I'm getting in a vert & changed to a glass roof, not in love with the vert design on the mustang and the glass roof is just an insane option, adds only 20lbs and is crazy cool to drive around in. I know it's way out there, but if the viper came with a pano/glass roof, I'd be all over it.

6 months ago when I had missed out on ordering a Viper and thought there was no way I'd be able to get one this year (pretty funny now looking back at my anxiety over it how that mess has turned out for everyone) I looked long and hard at a glass roof GT500. Half of my cars in the past have been convertibles but fell in love with the glass roof. I'm with you, I think I'd take a glass roof Viper if it only added 20 lbs. Rigidity of a coupe, look and feel of a fighter plane cockpit.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given that SRT already teased the vert, I bet it will be a 2014.5 model. You'll see it next summer in the dealerships, if CAAP gets their act together.

You're kidding, right? ;)

I hope you're correct, but I'm with Bill. It takes these guys time to execute. I'm thinking 2016MY.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is no one out there that wants a convertible more than myself and Woodhouse, as there is plenty of interest in the product, but the realities of today are that the cars are twice as complex as they were back in the 90s , and to expect them to cut their normal turn around by 1/2 to 1/3 with the current build parameters, just doesn't seem probable. Ralph and crew slipped out pics since they are showing their passion too, and they realize the desire, but do not despair as Chrysler Corporation has the fastest model change over of anyone in the industry. Let's all sing Kumbaya and pray for 2015 !!!

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and meanwhile DV400495 as of today is still in frame status....

going with MY2015 as a guess on the vert.....perfect: I get rid of cars once the warranty is up anyway so Bill, put me down on your list of interested clients!!!!