Where to place jack stands?

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any recommendations? Haven't gotten a chance to look at the manual. My aftermarket wheels are taking longer to get back to me than I thought. I need to ship out my coupe wheels tomorrow, so my car will have to be on jack stands for the time being. Thx.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both suggestions are good ones, but they are for Gen I and II cars. Murci posted in the SRT forum, so presumably he has an SRT. What differences are there between jacking an RT/GTS and an SRT?

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After removing the panel with the splitters on it and the sheet metal panel, I put mine right here for the rear. I've never done the front.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
M

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both suggestions are good ones, but they are for Gen I and II cars. Murci posted in the SRT forum, so presumably he has an SRT. What differences are there between jacking an RT/GTS and an SRT?

Thx guys. Phoenix SRT is right, are there any differences? I really don't want to have to remove any panels.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have jack points on the car. A SRT has a front and rear, along the side sill, just lay down and look under car, you will see a small black traingle piece. I left mine on jack stands for a month while I waited for my wheels. We had just had a small earthquake a few weeks earlier. So I pushed and pulled on it. It wasnt moving, so nothing to worry about. Its pretty sturdy on those things.

OP
OP
M

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have jack points on the car. A SRT has a front and rear, along the side sill, just lay down and look under car, you will see a small black traingle piece. I left mine on jack stands for a month while I waited for my wheels. We had just had a small earthquake a few weeks earlier. So I pushed and pulled on it. It wasnt moving, so nothing to worry about. Its pretty sturdy on those things.

What was your starting point? Did you place the jack right in the middle between the two jack pts of one of the side sills & slip the pair of stands underneath the jack pts? And then do the same for the other side or just one at a time :dunno:

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Murci, here you go. On the front break loose your lug nuts on both sides. Jack the car up on one of the front jacking points. The entire front end will leave the ground as well as the entire side both front and rear of the side you are jacking up. Basically teetering on the jack and opposite corner rear wheel. Remove the front wheel on the side you jacked up and place the jack stand on the angled frame cross member just aft of the wheel. Slowly lower the jack and allow the car to rest on the jack stand. Go to the other front side and jack up the front again on that side (check the jack stand you had just place while doing so), remove the wheel and place the next jack stand. I wouldn't recommend placing the rear on jack stands at the same time the front is on them, but I am sure it can be done. When you jack up the rear you can easily place a jack stand on the rear frame rail between the control arms. Hope this helps. Good luck. I couldn't pass a banana seed when my car was teetering on the jack and opposite rear wheel. Just go slow and watch things as you do it.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What was your starting point? Did you place the jack right in the middle between the two jack pts of one of the side sills & slip the pair of stands underneath the jack pts? And then do the same for the other side or just one at a time :dunno:

I started on a front corner, lift hgh enough that I can get a jack stand under the rear on same side, then place a jack stand on fron frame, near fron jack point. Then I reposition jack at front frame and jack up just a hair to get the front jack stand back out from frame and under front jack point. Meanwhile doing all this, the other side of the will lift up, this car is stiff. Like mentioned above, even jacking just on one front jack point, say the l/f , your also able to raise the r/f and l/r as it teeters. Im sure there are many different ways.
My car is low, so I can really slide a jack under anywhere else but the jack points. Anyways, once your under there you'll figure it out, very easily.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is a lot more trouble than the RT/GTS, yet in several SRT threads, people have posted RT/GTS methods...

OP
OP
M

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx everyone. Was able to lift my car onto jack stands. Not that difficult at all. Will post some pics soon.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is a lot more trouble than the RT/GTS, yet in several SRT threads, people have posted RT/GTS methods...

My bad, I didn't check the forum and assumed it was GenII related. Please don't hate me for having a Viper that's easier to jack up. :D

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, no hating at all, it's just a lot of Gen1/2 owners don't seem to know the SRT is a PITA for jacking!

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen pictures of the SRT's being jacked in the center of the side, lifting both wheels off the ground at the same time. Many track rats know where this lift point is....Wish I did..

PBR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave