Whistle/Whining Sound

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have noticed over the last couple of weeks when under initial acceleration from a stop or while moving I hear a whistle/whine noise could this be a sign of an upcoming P/S pulley failure?
any advice would be appreciated.
thanks Stew

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it increase when you rev the engine in neutral? Maybe a slipping belt?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never think of a mechanical shaft interface type joint failure to produce a whistling sound if it was failing. Grinding, squealing, clunking, popping, etc, but whistling sounds are usually reserved for the movement of air. Like intake leaks. Could be any number of things, as simple as your intake tubes or air box.

Whining sounds are bearings or your neighbors cat stuck in the wheelwell.

Also, as you have given yourself a self imposed heads up on the power steering, you should do the bracket and pulley just because. Give Dave at Big Brakes a call. He has the really sweet aluminum pulley.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a whistle/wheezing sound after I installed my smooth tubes. Ibuprofen solved that problem.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever since I've had mine I have heard a similar sound to what you're describing. Under accelleration it tends to get louder and higher in pitch. A buddy of mine with a 97 B/W GTS has the same sound. I believe as Dave pointed out, it is the movement of air. Does not necissarily mean there is a problem.

Did you just start driving with the windows down? If I remember correctly, if you are stopped and rev the engine it's not as noticable.:dunno:

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also have a whistling sound but only when driving slow maybe 5mph or so like in my driveway or through a parking lot. I had the viper dealer look at it and he said it was the e brake and it could be glazed or something but could still come back.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also notice a whistling sound, almost akin to the noise of a supercharger. I only notice it when accelerating. It's been there since I had the car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets