Who has spun their car?

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious how many of you have spun your car and lost control? Has anyone done a 360?

Reminder: The cold weather is here. The grip is not the same on the roads now as the summer time. I just want to remind everyone that you can't drive your car the same way now as you did in the summer if you live in the Northern part of the US. If your wheels break loose you may loose control!

Hope everyone has a safe fall season!

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two times around clockwise coming out from under the bridge at VIR then after I just about had it straight 1 time around counterclockwise.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never done a 360 before, but have had the backend try to come around on me a couple times. The 1st time was just a couple hours after I bought the car and it was my first experience of the TORQUE these monsters produce (aka Snake Bite) and the 2nd time happened when I was taking a friend for a ride and not thinking about my tires being cold and it being cold pavement as well. Luckily, didnt hurt anything except having to buy 2 new pair of underwear.

Cold weather is even here down south. Me and a friend were leaving a place Friday night and I decided to "punch it"..the backend didn't try to come around this time but my Kumho V700s broke loose and we spun (kept it in a straightline this time) until I came off the gas.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. Spun the 95 on the street twice. Once a 540 so I got to look at the traffic I just passed twice. That was the 1st drive one year. Cold tires still pumped up to 45 psi. Won't do that again :eek:

Never spun the 2003 on the street. On the track is another story.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Two 360's once in the snow [early 04 in Atlanta] in a z06. Lucky I didn't hit the side wall.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never a 360 but lost it to a degree twice. Signed up for Viper Days after the second and haven't had an issue since.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guilty. It was old tires that caused it as I was accelerating in a straight line.

GA 400 just out of the toll booths heading south (for the local GA people). spun all the way around and stopped 2 feet from the retaining wall. scared the pants off of me. this was 4 or so years ago. i replaced the tires the next week (and not b/c i'd flat-spotted the fronts... b/c they were old).

JD

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never lost control, the biggest spin I have done is a 180. Train, I was tired and decided to make a "quick turn" to go back the other way.

My truck is much more dangerous. With this cooler weather it is so easy to have the rear do things it should not.... This combinded with the extra mass and weight, bad....

Hey check out my post count :ooo:

OP
OP
R

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't think I was the only one, but makes you feel better when you know others had. I had to end a drive today early, go home and change my shorts. I always heard the term "Snake Bite", but didn't realize what people where referring to until I experienced it myself. There is no warning, it just snaps loose and then your hanging on for dear life! My hat blow off my head and got sucked out the window. I too got to see the people in traffic I had just passed up. I think they were more scared than I. You should have seen the horror on their faces!

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spun it out out twice at Heartland Park Topeka. Never on the street. (knock on wood)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a 720 pushing the Viper to its/my limit on an autocross. Was only fun because I knew I was in a controlled environment. If it was on the street.... :eek:

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spun mine twice. Partially because I'm used to a Porsche 911 that has gobs of rear traction and the other because of cold rear tires. I believe the Viper needs more time to warm the rear tires because of the huge size. In fair summer weather mine still needs more than 15 minutes of spirited driving to get them up to temp. A little longer if your taking it real easy. MGH

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have done 360's in empty parking lots before, does that count? :D

hahahaa! yeh, but I think those are called donuts

Five 360's in an empty parking lot with my right arm impaled by five sharp fingernails of my wife's left hand. :crazy:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never in any car or truck on the street.Have gone 180 a couple of times,held it there,driven backward,then stopped,on ice with an suv,pu truck,car.360+ a couple of times in a single seater,heavy rain,slicks,Lime Rock,Nelson Ledges.Yep the Viper has tried to spin me a couple of times on the track and street when dry.Correction must be automatic without any thought to it.Never spun even 180 so far.I don't know.Correction is automatic for me like stability control?During the process I usualy say out loud why you sneaky Bastaxd you!Anyway I practice all winter every day getting my jollies driving sideways on snow and ice in a pu truck.Yep a Viper will try and bite you more than a Buick but it is not unmanagable and part of the fun of driving one. GTS Bruce

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only on the track at englishtown after hitting 2nd gear. car turned left on me pretty hard but i kept with it and got it straight. it was a fun ride... :)

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spun in a hill climb event coming out of a little twisty turn from on camber to off camber got the rear unsettled a tiny bit and the rear came around. slow motion to me, fast motion to my passenger. glad there was no cliff near by.

G

grcforce327

Three 360's taking off from a stoplight and then hammering the accelerator during winter with old hard michelins, while everyone else at the light watched!Waited for the car to finally point straight,and kept going.Seemed like it was in "slow motion"!

:headbang: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :headbang:

D

dano

Granted, I am a new owner and have only put 1500 miles on my '97 GTS. However, when considering selling my Z06 for a Viper, manay, many people said that I would lose the car easily under full throttle and hard shifts since there is no traction control or active handling.

In all actuality, I have found that the car stays straight better than my Z06 even with a super hard 2nd gear hit. It took me a while to really test this since I could just see spinning into a wall or worse.

Getting the GTS was the best move I have made...super car!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious how many of you have spun your car and lost control? Has anyone done a 360?

Reminder: The cold weather is here. The grip is not the same on the roads now as the summer time. I just want to remind everyone that you can't drive your car the same way now as you did in the summer if you live in the Northern part of the US. If your wheels break loose you may loose control!

Hope everyone has a safe fall season!

Be EXTRA CAREFUL if you get caught in cold rain.....

I Hydroplaned while putzing along at 65mph on my way back from the Indy VOI. Still remember every second of the 540 degrees of spin before stopping in the Interstae median, facing the direction I was coming from.

I still laugh when I think about sitting there in the median wondering if I damaged anything and looking down at the tach to see and the car was still idleing as I had instinctively pushed in the clutch.

With those "high floatation" XGTZ tires, I was able to drive right out! Note, if any of you are running original XGTZ's.... put 'em up for Concours competitions in 2020, don't drive with them on your car!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a 720 pushing the Viper to its/my limit on an autocross. Was only fun because I knew I was in a controlled environment. If it was on the street.... :eek:

Same here. Love doing that on the autocross track! Nothing like driving your car to the limit in a CONTROLLED environment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave