Why can't I use this Cometic Head Gasket?

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did a search but could not determine if this Cometic head gasket (part# C5814-051) is ok for the GEN 1 heads. Will it work? Are Gen 1 and Gen II head gaskets the same? Is a 4.060 bore gasket close enough? Please help, $120 is a great price. I have a 94'.

Open it and do a search in the PDF viewer for VIPER or go to page 28:
http://www.cometic.com/catalogs/AutoDomestic.pdf

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just call Cometic, I purchased some gaskets from them about a month ago. Excellent customer service and very quick turnaround. They also will make custom gaskets as well.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just call Cometic, I purchased some gaskets from them about a month ago. Excellent customer service and very quick turnaround. They also will make custom gaskets as well.

I just spoke with Mike from Cometic and he said I get to call you a liar. :) He said they never made nor will ever make a gasket for a GEN1 Viper. I don't know where this info about Cometic making custom GEN1 gaskets came from, but Cometic says no way, not ever.

So once again we're screwed into paying $1000+, and now that DC is being bought out and will now be known as CH or CCH, I don't think the parts situation will ever improve and I bet once Chrysler runs out, there won't be anymore GEN1 gaskets to buy and used ones will go for $2000. How's that for a rumor? :mad:

Last edited:

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why will Cometic "NEVER" make Gen1 gaskets? Is it a technical issue? Lack of demand? Just how different are the Gen1 and Gen2 gaskets? I'm really curious, as the gaskets will be unobtanium at some point, and without alternatives.....

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke with Mike from Cometic and he said I get to call you a liar. :) He said they never made nor will ever make a gasket for a GEN1 Viper. I don't know where this info about Cometic making custom GEN1 gaskets came from, but Cometic says no way, not ever.

So once again we're screwed into paying $1000+, and now that DC is being bought out and will now be known as CH or CCH, I don't think the parts situation will ever improve and I bet once Chrysler runs out, there won't be anymore GEN1 gaskets to buy and used ones will go for $2000. How's that for a rumor? :mad:

I think you must have "ASSUME"d that I purchased Gen 1 gaskets. I said, I recently purchased GASKETS from Cometic. I had Gen 2 gaskets made up at a non stock thickness. Like I also mentioned Cometic can make up custom application gaskets. Did you ask Cometic if they would make you a gasket for the Gen 1? Have a custom run made, group buy, etc. It's really up to you. If it were me, I'd buy a Gen 1 gasket and send it out to be reproduced and make a killing. Matter of fact maybe I should.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I gave up and took the plunge. I ordered everything separate and actually saved some money. I did not get the valve cover gaskets since they are reusable and I have less than 8500 miles. Total cost was $811 from Archer racing.

Here is their breakdown in prices:

Thermostat gasket $10
Intake gasket x2 $30
Exhaust gasket x2 $34
Water Passage x2 $12
180 Thermostat $60
Head Gaskets x2 $650
Total: $796 + $15 shipping

He also sells the valve cover gaskets for $60 each so really the total would have been $856 with everything (thermostat is not included in the kit)
MSRP on total kit is $1125 + tax at local dealer.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Factory kit includes other gaskets. You can get it for $900 from Tator.
And his advices are priceless.

What other few gaskets it comes with, I don't need, and they probably don't amount to $50 anyways, plus Chuck was my first choice, but he's sold out and Archer had it in stock.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously, when DC's stock is gone, what the heck are we gonna do for Gen 1 head gaskets???

Like I said, used gaskets from wrecks will go for $2000. I just don't see what the big deal is for a gasket company like Cometic to make it. I mean, that's all they do. It won't set them back thousands of dollars, they can even charge $300 a piece for them and people will buy them.

These parts issues are really making me consider dumping the GEN1 and just going GEN2. It seems like every Tom, Dick, and Harry supports the GEN2 but ignore the GEN1. I know there were more GEN2's made, but really, how many are left considering there are more wrecks involving GEN2's? I would say there are about half to a third as many GEN1's left as there are GEN2s, but GEN2 guys don't need the freaking head gaskets! Why make it for the GEN2 when they can get it cheap from Dodge anyways??? Chuck had two GEN1 Gasket sets in stock last week and now he's ordering two more because he sold them that fast. DC's warehouse doesn't even have them in stock as of today. I say there is enough demand for them.

Get this... You can still get Ferarri Testarossa head gaskets for $170 from Norwood Performance here in the US, for a foreign car with less than 10,000 units sold worldwide that went out of production before the Viper even came out! There is no excuse for this!:mad:

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What other few gaskets it comes with

The kit includes two throttle body gaskets and one IAC gasket. You don't necessarily need them, but to have them as spares doesn't hurt.

The kit also includes another two gaskets specific for early Gen1 (two parts exhaust manifold).

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you please take a high res shot of one of those head gaskets. I was embarrased to admit I spent over $200 on head gaskets. All the Chevy guys are laughing their a@@ off, and they are right! Seriously, I'd like to compare them with the Cometic gaskets I got. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R