Why did the name Viper was used on our cars?

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay I am trying to do a research paper but I can't find any info of why they picked out the name viper. I read that some marketing guys came up with it but never explained why this was the pick.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the archives of Viper Magazine. Pretty sure it was explained either there or in VCA Notes. Better to read the whole story than state it in a single sentence.

OP
OP
C

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
but is it in all the magazine? I only have it this year since I purchase the Viper last year.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lutz wanted a car that reminded him of his Autocraft Cobra. (a 2 seater concept car "the Big Shot" was being considered) A snake name was desired and Python and Sidewinder were rejected. Lutz believes he came up with Viper during an airplane trip.

OP
OP
C

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lutz wanted a car that reminded him of his Autocraft Cobra. (a 2 seater concept car "the Big Shot" was being considered) A snake name was desired and Python and Sidewinder were rejected. Lutz believes he came up with Viper during an airplane trip.

Thanks! That sounds just about right. btw, so you really have the very second viper produced?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And the concept car was named "Copperhead" I think.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a reference for the Copperhead named concept car that became the Viper by production time

Link - Dodge Viper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"This concept vehicle was originally named Copperhead because of its low, wide appearance characteristic of reptiles. All engines for the Viper have since been known as "copperhead." The name would later be changed to Viper. Public reaction was so enthusiastic, that chief engineer Roy Sjoberg was directed to develop it as a standard production vehicle."

from Wilipedia

Ted

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope concept was called Viper. Copperhead came out several years later and was similar to the Saturn Sky and brethren.

That is correct. It looked like a Sky with a very shallow front end. It had the Copperhead color. Unfortunately, it stayed a concept car.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a reference for the Copperhead named concept car that became the Viper by production time

Link - Dodge Viper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"This concept vehicle was originally named Copperhead because of its low, wide appearance characteristic of reptiles. All engines for the Viper have since been known as "copperhead." The name would later be changed to Viper. Public reaction was so enthusiastic, that chief engineer Roy Sjoberg was directed to develop it as a standard production vehicle."

from Wilipedia

Ted
Okay, Wikipedia must be correct. It is the end all of all knowledge. I guess I will eradicate my personal knowledge and replace it with Wiki's. Not!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Wiki is a little off. I'm pretty sure the orginal name was Viper and I know there was a Copperhead that came out some years later.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, that copperhead crap is wrong. I was just reading about this a few days ago in my Mopar Encyclopedia while chillin on the beach. Something about the translation of "Snake" from english to some other language resulting in "Vipera" then Viper clicked. When i get home i'll post the quote.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can make Wikipedia say the name Viper was the original code name for the K-Car if you give me about five minutes.

OP
OP
C

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As for being in my class, we were told to not use wiki because its not reliable source. And copperhead came out sometime in the mid-late 90's I thought?

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: " I think I came up with it on an airplane trip....what it was, you wanted a snake and we couldn't have Cobra. It was as simple as that. You didn't want sidewinder because it had military connotations ...Asp didn't sound too good. Python--they are big and they swallow pigs..So Viper seemed to be ..it rolls off your tongue easily." Bob Lutz quoted in "Viper-Pure Performance By Dodge" 1993.

If I had thought about it, I should have asked him in June.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets