Why does my snake HATE uneven pavement?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never owned a car that hates uneven pavement so much. Man when you hit it the car drives you. Is it the tires, wheelbase, suspension or what. Makes you feel very uneasy at times.

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same car...same issue....I put eibachs on and then Sean Roes "brake cooling" lexan and it helped a lot...more down force and tighter ride with the springs...I also adjusted the stock Koni's to their stiffest setting....It reduced the "pucker" factor a great deal.....up above 100 on werbily roads was not fun

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having your alignment redone may help this problem, but this tracking problem is usually caused by the wide front tires. It is not very noticeable when the tires are new, but as they get down to the last third of the tread life, it gets worse. The tire companies used to call it "streetcar tracking," and it is a characteristic of all wide tires. The tread wants to follow cracks and gutters in the road surface, and actually steers in that direction so that you have to fight to keep it straight. It will likely go away when you get new tires. Some cars have steering dampening to help offset this problem.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, mine went away when I got new tires in the front. But after the wear starts, it tracks.. It would track the stripes in the middle of a two lane road the worst!

Gerald

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"Changing Tires makes all the difference in the World"

Very true when leaving XGT-z Gen-1 for any later Pilots.

Not so tru from MXX-3 to Sports. However, I feel you have an alignment issue. Your Viper comes aligned for maximum tire wear, NOT maximum handling. A good corner-weighting alignment, with proper toe adjusted to minimize rut and seam tracking should fix you up as far as that goes.

Our "snake dance" on rough roads especialy while cornering is likley a shock adjustment question. And, you COULD have something broken or loose! Eric Messley, EMI Racing, is down in your area somewhere, and should be able to settle your twitchy snake a bunch.

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem but this year is different; went back to stock toe and camber settings, added brand new Pilots and Eibach 1" lower Pro Kit springs((tirerack))..I don't know what peice did it but the road that used to bug the *** outta' me can be driven hands off now :)

By the way the Eibach springs handled quite well with stock Konis at the track a couple weeks ago.. In fact I immediately noticed the improvement in turn in and just the overall balance of the car in general under high speed cornering..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456