Why does the Viper use 6 lug bolts?

grappa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most other cars use 5 lugs so what reason other than cosmetics require 6?

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque isnt the answer.

I've launched 1.3 sixty's 700+rwhp on 4 lug fox bodys mustangs... 5 lug setups are getting launched with over 2000rwhp and not breaking...

I'm sure there is another reason.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque isnt the answer.

I've launched 1.3 sixty's 700+rwhp on 4 lug fox bodys mustangs... 5 lug setups are getting launched with over 2000rwhp and not breaking...

I'm sure there is another reason.

Of course it's torque. If your 5 bolts can handle all that, then 6 will do even more, right? The few ounces gained gives you an exponentially stronger setup. Nobrainer there.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm ... Dodge Dakota has 6 lug, RAM SRT10 has 5 ... Though the stud diameters are significantly different, I don't think the "torque" argument stands up here. I'd like to hear the real answer from a Dodge Engineer. But I'll bet in the Vipers case it has more to do with strength in a smaller bolt circle ... Smaller lug pattern diameter / flange, less weight, and this is unsprung weight.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the reason Dave6666 has that screen name. If the Viper had 5 lugs he would be Dave5555, and if the Viper only had 3 wheels with 6 lugs he would be Dave666. Eureka!!!!!

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm quite sure Jerome is correct. Dodge had nothing else in the parts bin at the time that would have worked (i.e. - no rear wheel drive cars), so the Dakota hubs were used to save on development costs.

Plenty of cars with as much or more torque than Vipers never have issues with "only" 5 lugs. The # of lugs are only part of the equation, along with stud dia., material, and length, as well as the space between them in terms of having sufficient material for wheel integrity where it actually bolts to the hub.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jerome and Chimazo get the lolipop on this one. At VOI-10 you can meet the guy who refined the "parts bin selection" that took several items from Dakota, including the hubs.

You would be amazed at some parts bin stuff from AMC, Renault, Merkur, and more.

Snakemobile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that it was to prevent customers from putting 5 lug wheels on the car that may not be strong enough to handle the torque and power. Wheels seem to be stronger now-days...

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember well that it was as Jon stated....'cause way back when, they used Dakota hubs. And, any other number of parts bin goodies.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just si(e)xy!

viperGTS3.jpg

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had 6, since 05 has had 5 lugs

I will say it again, because the Dakota had 6. The hubs were the same when the Viper came out. Remember the car has lots of parts bin items on it.

You are exactly right sir....it is the same hub used on the dak in the early years.:2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever the reason... it IS technically stronger right? Granted there probably wont be a noticable difference unless the car was 3000lbs heavier and 2000hp's more.

The OCD in me likes 6 lugs because my wheels are 6-spokes. Now I suppose if I had a 5-spoker, I'd demand 5 lugs. :D

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i doubt the viper was given six wheel nuts for strength purposes. take a look at the rear wheels on a NHRA prostock drag car (2,000 HP?) or alchohol funny car (8,000 HP?). they all run five lug nut wheels. five wheel nuts appear to have plenty of strength.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does my F350 have 8 lugs with only 325 hp and 450 ft lbs of torque?

And a half ton has 6 lugs, and an 8000 hp funny car has 5 lugs?

I don't think any of us are really doing the equation correctly, but will point out in regards to the dragster... What is the bolt circle diameter? Stud diameter? How long do they need to last?

I can answer my third question. They need to make it 1/4 of a mile. What, about 1400 feet or so?

vipermech1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The rear bearing was a 6 lug dakota brg. Viper in it's early
stages was in the jeep/dodge pickup devolpment buildings that
were in detroit. And there used what was available.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62