Why doesn't D/C supply the better drivers for magazine testing?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why doesn\'t D/C supply the better drivers for magazine testing?

We know from reading so many threads that there are some really skilled driver's here on the VCA forum. And you see some incredible performance numbers in the 1/4 mile, and at the racetracks, with those better drivers behind the wheel.

I've read various magazine articles and comparisons of different supercars like the GT2, Enzo and others where the company (Porsche, Ferrari, etc.) provides top drivers to show off their cars in those tests.

But several tests with the Gen II and SRT-10 Viper have just left all of the test driving to various magazine editors, who usually are road testing Camrys, Echos, and Expeditions, and frankly can't drive the Vipers to the level that the car can perform. With some writer not even understanding the purpose of such a car as the Viper.

I just think that the D/C management/PVO team, who DO seem to be true car enthusiasts, should be taking a more active role in coordinating with the magazines, and maybe paying airfare to get somebody like Paul Mumford, or Evan Smith, or some of the well known superior drivers here on the VCA forum to test drive the Vipers in magazine face-off comparisons.

I would LOVE to see the SRT-10 Viper beat the Porsche GT2, Lamborghini Murcielago, and other European supercars on a full road course, as well as the 1/4 mile.

It would be a great boost for us current Viper owners, as well as the SRT-10 Viper's status as a supercar, and would help the perception of Daimler/Chrysler's cars in general.

-Dean.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why doesn\'t D/C supply the better drivers for magazine testing?

I have been to a few press events, and Dodge has NO SAY in which members of the press drive the car. The only thing they can hope for is that the driver they get has the SKILL to really move a Viper. And as someone who has driven with some of these drivers, in most cases that just ain't the case.

Expect to always see lesser drivers getting more out of cars that drive for them than out of cars they have to drive. It is a real shame but that is how the cards are stacked.

BTW, why to you think Dodge loves us so much! We go out there and TRASH the credibility of the Mag-Rags as well as the other makes!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Reason:

In theory, the car mags DON'T want the manufacturer to supply the driver because they want a "common" playing field for all tests (if John "SCCA King" Fernandez was used as a test driver for a Neon.... would that be fair to the other compact cars tested?)

The car mags assume the stats provided them from the manufacturer ARE the best that the manufacturer could muster with the car, with THEIR driver .... but then want "real time" tests..... done on a car that is hopefully not doctored with extra HP before it's given to the press.

I think the REAL question should be why doesn't the top car mags use REAL professional drivers (sorry writers and testers, but unless you're on the track every weekend, your experience is not enough to make you a true "maximum benchmark")?

Evan Smith is SO impressive with his skills (even on a car he's never been in before), that he truly is an example of a professional who can "max out" the specifications of almost anything, with just a few hours of seat time. That's why many publications use him (unfortunately, not enough!).

I'm sure there's many more (Paul M, Tommy Archer, etc) who could surely do the same.

The bottom line? You're right! It'll be one of our Viper Nation (or maybe Evan if he gets his hands on my SRT!) that once again will document the fastest times! ..... and then we'll have to defend that number...... every weekend!

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, I understand that there is a good reason that with the general press gatherings, the regular writers drive the cars.
And likewise it's reasonable that the cars need to be tested with pump gas and on factory street tires, so that a prospective buyer can get a fair understanding of how the car performs in real life relative to other cars.

But the part that I'm specifically talking about is the organized competitive events like Car & Driver's Supertuner test, where the entrants supplied their own drivers, and the stock cars were given factory supplied drivers (except the Viper).

And the recent GT2 test where they had a famous Porsche racecar driver to drive the GT2 against the GTS. Of course the Porsche racer preferred the GT2, and drove it much faster than the Viper, but it would be great to see a rematch with that same guy and Mumford in a SRT-10 Viper.
supergrin.gif

And there are other comparative magazine tests where they allow non-writers to drive the test cars as well.

My point is that the results of these few tests often define the performance perception of the Viper in America and the rest of the world. And right now the general perception is that the SRT-10 Viper is a car that is fast in a straight line, is expensive, and is too hot to sit in.
frown.gif

The press loves to run the Viper against other (less expensive)American cars like the Mustang Cobra and Z06, but it really needs to be run on a racetrack (with a really skilled driver) against Europe's best supercars to show exactly what the car is capable of doing.

-Dean.