Will a jump start charge the battery from the underhood posts? (battery charger?) ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gotten slammed at work and haven't had time to change out the power steering pulley that broke on me last week.

The temps here have dropped from 55 to 25 ... and I am pretty sure I am about to deal with a dying battery.

My belt is not on the car right now ... and I need to get it to the shop less than 5 miles up the street.

To make sure my battery lasts the 5 minutes I need it to ... do you think I should add jumper cables to the underhood battery posts of the Viper , then to a running car for a few minutes? That should add a charge to the Viper battery, right?

How safe is it to try to charge the battery from the underhood posts using an actual battery charger?

This is my first time with a "remote battery" ... and jacking the car up, taking off the wheel, and taking out the battery are my last option before getting the car towed. I don't trust tow trucks with these cars ... they sit too low.

I don't want to put the belt back on with the broken pulley either ... it will just get thrown back off , and I don't have the time to do the pulley/mount swap myself for atleast another 2 weeks.

Thanks for the help and advice :) ---

Reaction score
Re: Will a jump start charge the battery from the underhood posts? (battery charger?)

You can for sure charge the battery with a trickle charger from under the hood, I think if it is dead you would be running it a long time to charge enough that when you shut it off it would start again, just put the trickle on it overnight.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Will a jump start charge the battery from the underhood posts? (battery charger?)

I was reading about the pcm issue with people using those Jump Start Boxes ... so should I stay clear of the "fast start"(12amp) setting and just keep the trickle on it (2amp)? ---

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Put the trickle on it overnight and then hope it has enough juice to make it to the shop. Maybe worth just waiting two weeks and doing the pulley yourself.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A 2 amp overnight charge should do it. Hookup under the hood! Never use the boost mode, low amps is always better.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

alwayscode390, I think that you'll find the main worry is not the portable, external battery packs (assuming that's what you mean by "Jump Start Boxes ")...but theextra "boost to start" or "engine start" setting found on many chargers. Some of the larger chargers deliver a 50-200 amp surge into the system...which has been noted to have a relationship with blown PCM's on Gen II Vipers ( and some Dakotas and Jeeps).

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I put my battery tender through the hood gill

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score

^^ Thats what I do.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks everyone, I will try the Trickle charge first, and go from there. I appreciate the advice :) ---

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would be more worried about trying to drive the car 5 miles with no belt and having the engine overheat. These things do heat up in a hurry. Not sure if its worth the risk.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you think it would overheat in 5 miles with 25 degree weather? Honestly that is a concern of mine too. This situation is ******* me off honestly. Its such a small thing to go wrong and is turning into a pain in my ass LOL. I may just get it towed ... but I am really worried about getting the car scraped up going on/off the truck ---

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if you have AAA, get them to pick it u and bring it to your mechanic or home, dont risk driving it. not worth the risk

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Driving a car 5 miles down the road is a long way.

Call a special towing company that deals with lowered/specialty vehicles....

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom & Plum are right, DO NOT DRIVE IT!! You WILL cook your motor in 5 miles! To flatbed her, tell the tow outfit to bring two 2"X10"X6' boards to break the angle at the bottom of the bed and tell them they will need two "R" hooks to be placed into the frame rail tie-down holes. DO NOT let them hook you lower control arms to pull her up onto the bed!! Charging from remote jump points 2amps ONLY!!
Questions....914-763-3136

Re-word to stop auto-links! :smirk:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

there you have it.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK guys, you talked me into a tow job ... waiting to do this myself ... or I just was recommended a "mobile car doctor" that will show up to the car and fix it on site.

This is a simple job so I don't think I need to worry about it being my main mechanic or not.

I really appreciate you guys talking me out of driving it , because I was going to try!!! ---

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

"or I just was recommended a "mobile car doctor" that will show up to the car and fix it on site.

This is a simple job so I don't think I need to worry about it being my main mechanic or not."

I HOPE you are kidding with the above statement !!

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No problem, you can find lots of mobile mechanics on craigslist to work on your viper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper