Will SRT/10 Truck Calipers work on my Gen II?

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found a set of Viper SRT/10 Truck calipers at the junk yard. Considering buying but not sure if they will fit on my car. I'm upgrading to Gen IV wheels and want to do the big brake kit conversion but will those mammoth calipers fit? I think the truck has larger wheels, so I'm not confident.

Reaction score
No they are way to big and to heavy to want to use. Do you need new ones or are you just looking for an upgrade for your car?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you still have the OEM 13" setup ,an upgrade to 03 srT 14" brakes will be perfect with DBB kit , keeping your wheels. The truck rotor is 15" ,so you'd need 19 or bigger wheels.

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah looking to do the BB kit but need to get rotors for the front. The existing fronts will go on the back.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went with 03 srT 14"rotors and calipers all around that requires the srT 14" front rotors on all corners. You can do the srT 14" rotors and calipers for the front and use your 13" rotor/caliper setup for the rear. Make sure you specify this arrangement when you order the parts from JonB who handles the DBB kits that has 13" or 14" brackets and e-brake applications for the rear.With the smaller rear setup , don't get the proportional valve .Try removing the spring from the OEM unit first and carefully start the dial-in process by reducing the spring's length cutting off coil by coil to obtain best BIAS .

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with 03 srT 14"rotors and calipers all around that requires the srT 14" front rotors on all corners. You can do the srT 14" rotors and calipers for the front and use your 13" rotor/caliper setup for the rear. Make sure you specify this arrangement when you order the parts from JonB who handles the DBB kits that has 13" or 14" brackets and e-brake applications for the rear.With the smaller rear setup , don't get the proportional valve .Try removing the spring from the OEM unit first and carefully start the dial-in process by reducing the spring's length cutting off coil by coil to obtain best BIAS .

You must be registered for see images

did the spring cutting thing work for you w/o the manual valve? How much did you have to cut off yours?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since I have much more clamping power on the rear brakes now compared to the single piston OEM unit , it required keep cutting coils off three times to get the desirable BIAS .I did it a few months ago , so I'd have to remove and measure the length of the spring to give you proper info. I'm still contemplating to install the manual Wilwood valve that I got from JonB one day ,especially since it came with nice s/s lines.;)

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I have much more clamping power on the rear brakes now compared to the single piston OEM unit , it required keep cutting coils off three times to get the desirable BIAS .I did it a few months ago , so I'd have to remove and measure the length of the spring to give you proper info. I'm still contemplating to install the manual Wilwood valve that I got from JonB one day ,especially since it came with nice s/s lines.;)

Can you use the 14" rotors on the 18" Gen IV wheels in the front? Not sure how confident I am with cutting springs. I've done a brake job on the Viper once, but this may be over my head.

You hang on to those original wheels, they have history! :shhh2: :rolaugh:

I probably will Lee LOL! And just for that reason.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Frankly if that is a true Silver and Blue GTS I would leave it alone.There are so few of those actually built and the more stock the better the worth in years to come. Changing the system and everything will only devalue that rare a car in my estimation.

If it is an aftermarket paint on the stripes then go for it.

Bill Pemberton

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point Bill and I couldn't agree more. However, isn't the BBK reversible? If not then perhaps I should consider an entire new kit. I just hate forking out $5K for brakes on a car that isn't raced... anymore ;-) Yes, it's a true silver/blue but not ACR (121 total, 83 non-ACR I think).

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't hack it up man. You have to cut the rear spindle for the BBK. That is definitly my second favorite color combo, 1st B/W :headbang:

Beautiful car

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly if that is a true Silver and Blue GTS I would leave it alone.There are so few of those actually built and the more stock the better the worth in years to come. Changing the system and everything will only devalue that rare a car in my estimation.

If it is an aftermarket paint on the stripes then go for it.

Bill Pemberton

So dose that mean you want to buy my car back Bill ? ;)

Anyway, what are you going to do, keep it nice for the next guy?
I will see if I can find replacement castings for the rear before I cut them for the big brakes.

And I think there were only 23 non ACR's in "99".

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't hack it up man. You have to cut the rear spindle for the BBK. That is definitly my second favorite color combo, 1st B/W :headbang:

Beautiful car

Not if you are moving the front to the rears I believe. Cutting the rear is only required if you got 14inch in the rear...

Would the 15 inch truck brakes work if weight and wheel size wasn't an issue. Would it be a direct bolt on for fronts on a gen2?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
brakes are over rated.

if you are going to keep the car for a longtime, do it. if not dont sweat it. just keep the old parts.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is a true silver/blue stripe car .
I kept all the original parts [ will never need them ,because I won't sell the car;) ] to reverse the mild mod . The only expense to do that would be the rear knuckles that could easily be attained from X2builders .IMHO its more important to have brakes that stops the car than worry about the slight mod , it's your call .The DBB kit will clear the 18" OEM wheels/calipers on all fours . The rear wheel's spokes are fatter giving less clearance between the spoke and caliper but adding 1/32 thick washers between the DBB adapter and knuckle gives the desireable minimum clearence.My HID conversion didn't change any OEM system either .It's simply a plug & play .The halo lights can go back anytime.

Last edited:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point Bill and I couldn't agree more. However, isn't the BBK reversible? If not then perhaps I should consider an entire new kit. I just hate forking out $5K for brakes on a car that isn't raced... anymore ;-) Yes, it's a true silver/blue but not ACR (121 total, 83 non-ACR I think).

The kit is reverisble but you will have to replace the rear spindles because you cut the ears off to make room for the rear SRT brackets. After talking with Jon B and BBK Dave on the phone in regards to this adding the big brakes will not lower the resale value of your car since you are installing OEM calipers etc.