Will SRT's without roll bars...

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will SRT\'s without roll bars...

Does anyone know if SRT's without roll bars be allowed at the track events during VOI?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: Will SRT\'s without roll bars...

I'll get that answer for you right away....but my guess is:

YES! YES! YES!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

YES! YES! YES!

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i would hate to get there and just be a spectator. plus, don't we need race ready documentation and forms filled out for races?

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would be totally pissed to get there and find out we (SRT owners without roll bars) are not allowed to participate in any of the track events!
Joe has said we will be allowed, I assume he checked it out and is correct.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure Joe is correct, and I don't see a problem with the AX, but I'd just be surprised if on the track, at 120-50+, that it would be okay. Hey, I am able to go on the track with my B.S. "Stock" rollbar on my RT/10. I pray everytime that nothing happens because I know I'd get soooooome haircut.

AC

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

VOI IS NOT A RACE. It's not really a lot of "track time" - you'll be with a Skip Barber instructor and only get 3 or so laps at a time. They will probably run a forced chicane on the front stretch like they did at Viper Days to keep the speeds down. You won't see anywhere near 150 MPH.

The track time at VOI is to let you get a TASTE of track driving - it's NOT a school - it's more of a "driving experience".....

Don't go to VOI for track time - you go for the entire experience! You go to Viper Days for track time.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I understand it is not a lot of track time and not a race, but still want to be allowed ON the track. Not going to drive for 4 days to get there and just watch ;)

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hope I'm not starting sh*t, because I am NOT opposed to letting the SRTs out there, but PLEASE, don't tell me it's not "a race". There are very few guys/women, that go out there and don't get a rush to go quicker. Instructor or no instructor, and the danger is there, and the speed is there. Besides, what happened to a couple of cars at VOI 7 ? I'm not looking to spend all kinds of money on installing a roll bar on my RT/10, but I can't beleive that they let RT's out there with the cross bar, calling it safe, at some of the events that are held year long. Let's be honest, we're getting away with keeping out fingers crossed.

AC

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Driving on the street is inherently dangerous. Leaving your garage is the same. While I do think there is certainly more risk at any track event, even the relatively slow speeds of VOI "demo" runs, I think it is minimal. The few wrecks I am aware of did not involve injury, including one of the more spectacular ones with an instructor at the wheel on some very low mileage 1993 tires (with matching RT/10). There have also been wrecks on the drag strip, despite the relatively simple nature of it. Again, no injuries that I am aware of other than bruised egos.

For you guys that road race all the time, you may not enjoy your laps on the big track. The Skip Barber instructors WILL keep you somewhat restrained - frustratingly so at times. As Janni said and I mentioned before: If you are going to VOI strictly for track time, save your money for the Viper Days events. If you are looking for a nice "get to know your car" session on the autocross, drag strip, and road course - this is a great venue for all. And with the first two there are no instructors in the car, so you can truly "feel your oats" if that is your desire.

Watch for at least black SRT out there!

Chris

PS. Knowing that they have a module that they can program to cap your speed on the SRT-10 for Viper Days (to run without a roll bar), I wouldn't be surprised to see it here...

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DC should have equipped the SRT with a roll bar in the first place...and a trunk liner :smirk:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The instructors at VOI's are more to instruct you on the proper line thru the course. If you are going to fast, they will try to rein you in, however they also have been known to encourage people to go faster if in their opinion they can safely do so. It is also the limited laps that tend to keep the ultimate speeds down, as you barely learn the track, and it is time to come in.
The instructors are very professional and fun loving, but no one wants someone to ruin their exprience by driving over their head.

While VOI track time is not a race, and no clock is used, the experience of driving your Viper on a track is not to be missed. It kind of wets your appetitite, and prepares you for the full ViperDays experience.

The full on driving experience is available at the autocross, where no instructor is needed, and you can drive as fast as you can keep it on the track.
The Drags are also run as fast as you are capable.
VOI's are very professionally run, and safety is stressed, so as to allow more VOI's to follow.

Under these circumstances the RT's & SRT's are probably safely up to the task.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I belive they are safe as well - the RT's have always been allowed on tracks, as far as I know, and I don't think they offer any more protection in a roll over than the SRT...am I correct?

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No?? The RT has more protection in a roll over than an SRT?? How?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave