Windshield wipers not working as well as windshield fluid not spraying

2quik6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is on a '05 Viper, nothing on the right hand side stem is working, no wipers, no fluid will spray on windshield when level is pulled back.
I tested the fluid pump, it works fine as the wiring was easy to get to.
I have the wiper motor harness pulled out, its the 5 wire and I just located some test procedures to try on it to make sure the motor works fine.
Where else can I look to determine what is wrong with everything on that RH side stem?
Oh and fuse is good also.
Thanks

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a SWAG, but perhaps the stem is bad and you need to replace the unit. I had to replace mine because the other side, the turn signal stem, would turn on my fog lights whenever I used the right turn signal or sometimes just on it’s own. Or you could squirt some DeOxit D100 into the pieces and manipulate them a few times to see if that may clean the contacts / switches and restore things.

OP
OP

2quik6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't had time to test the motor, but that was my next thing to look at was taking apart what I could on the steering column to see where that gets me. It was an AZ car, so chances are they were never used for 15 years. I do not necessarily need them either, just bugs me they do not work, and the safety inspection guy discovered they were not working :) luckily they don't care, at least the place I go to and have used for about 10 years to inspect all of my cars.

OP
OP

2quik6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tested motor today, it works fine, high speed , low speed, and park....must be the stem contacts or a harness on the column unplugged. Will start taking the stem apart if I can without totally dissembling the steering column, and not planning to try to remove the steering wheel or airbags either...otherwise I will leave it as-is and deal with it not working.

OP
OP

2quik6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found the issue today, finally had time to look further. Took the cover off that wraps around the column, just 2 screws from the front underside, and it snaps apart at the back..
The wiring harness plug was pulled out....after looking closer, the lock on the harness plug is not working properly and if you lower the steering column down low, it pulls tightly around the dash plastic and pulls it out. It looks like the wires should be in a zip tie thing around the column but there is not enough slack in the wires to go under it. Probably a factory goof or laziness. Didn't see a way to pull the wires to get any slack in them, and they are worn already against the plastic dash bezel. So before they wear through, I took a knife, heated it up red hot and craved out a little bit of the dash bezel behind the steering column cover to give the wires more room and clearance. Completely not visible.
Plug wires in, moved column up and down, and success, everything works now!