Woodhouse Motorsports Division

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi, Any suggestions on what trans fluid I should use for road racing, 1996 GTS is equipped with a trans. cooler system. The fluid I drained appeared clear, smells slightly like gear lube, but thin.... tranny states Castrol Syntorq. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I also lost 5th gear in the trans, any special tools required to repair the trans? Is 5th gear a weak link? Does someone make better then OEM components?
Anything additional I should replace in the trans while apart?
Also would anyone happen to know where I can purchase a tinted lexan rear window?

OP
OP
mjorgensen Woodhouse
Reaction score
Tried to answer your questions below, good luck and let me know if you need anything.

Hi, Any suggestions on what trans fluid I should use for road racing, 1996 GTS is equipped with a trans. cooler system. The fluid I drained appeared clear, smells slightly like gear lube, but thin.... tranny states Castrol Syntorq. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sounds like the fluid is holding up well if still clear, I would suggest keeping the same.
I also lost 5th gear in the trans, any special tools required to repair the trans? Is 5th gear a weak link? Does someone make better then OEM components? Gear pullers and the normal trans tools, 5th is not really weak but depends on how you drive it. In road racing how often are you using it and are you running a low rear ratio. There is better stuff and different ratios to be had by some good tranny guys.
Anything additional I should replace in the trans while apart? Won't know till you inspect it, or else just beef up the whole thing and be done with it.
Also would anyone happen to know where I can purchase a tinted lexan rear window? I would try Archer racing and see what they use as i don't do this much.

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your input! I put the mopar fluid in my spare tranny. I have another stupid question, when filling the tranny I ran the cooler pump to fill the cooler and lines, of course the return line was disconnected and was hanging up in the drivers compartment in a catch can....anyway no fluid was coming out of the return line...after minutes of running...so I figured the pump as bad. However, after I lowered the return line to appox. tranny level...I found that there was indeed fluid in the line. Is this typical of those pumps? It would seem to me that the pump should be able to supply enough head pressure to raise the fluid a couple feet. Is there a rebuild kit for the pumps?
Back to my original questions...I am not sure of the rear end gears, I have not checked the ratio, I have noticed that the car runs appox 130mph at 5500 in 4th...this is because I was stuck with a max of 4th at watkins glen....the traqmate showed about 130..car has 18" hoosiers, I have not measured the tires to figure final ratio's but I am assuming 3:1 area. You make a good point, I would rather make the car run 3rd / 4th verses trying to go into 5th on the straights....do you know what gears the comp coupes ran in the gen 2 cars perhaps this would be the right selection for me. I bet the factory determined what was turning the best times.

Anyway I will tear down the trans and make a list of items I need..I may be interested in a closer ratio 5th, once I look inside and determine what I have.

Thanks so much for your input....by the way I did buy a car from your shop a 08 green coupe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss