wsj: Rethinking the Halo Car

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They are ******* up the wrong tree as usual, trying to make something exciting out of something that, well, isnt.

Horsepower is FUN. People want POWER, even if they cant afford to buy or own a car like that. Its inspirational, thats the point. Short of being a greenie, most people go after the efficient cars to save money- not toss it out the window with every tire shredding accelleration they can muster.

Different thought processes here guys.

Can one of those be a "Halo" car? sure it can- but not in the same way, and certainly not to the same people... and I think you'll find there are a lot fewer "well off" greenies that can afford those Halo Efficiency cars than you would think. Most people are forced into that position, not by choice.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The article should have mentioned the TESLA as it would be a good example of electric vehicles with performance and styling attractive to people in the market for a hi performance auto.

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chevy thinks all Americans are stupid!!!!! The VOLT!?!?!?! Did they think we forgot they already built an all electric vehicle called the EV-1?? They built it so well they fired everyone and crushed all but 1 car! They are and evil company that needs to burn in pits of hell! But thats my opinion of course. :D

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chevy thinks all Americans are stupid!!!!! The VOLT!?!?!?! Did they think we forgot they already built an all electric vehicle called the EV-1?? They built it so well they fired everyone and crushed all but 1 car! They are and evil company that needs to burn in pits of hell! But thats my opinion of course. :D

The buying public at large has very short term memories when it comes to these things.

The target market for these new green products is going to be people who weren't even driving (of age) when the EV1 was out.

Do you think the people that bought Audi's in the last decade know/care about the fiasco's of the 80's with those cars? Doubt it. Same thing now with GM on their electric products.

If you want a good history of the EV1 go rent/netflix "Whatever happened to the Electric Car

Who Killed the Electric Car?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Electrics -shmetrics! I want an internal combustion vehicle! Damn it, I want to feel the ground pound beneath me!