You know something that really truly does **** about the Gen V?

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that any ******* walking through a parking lot can open your hood... Sure, if your car is locked and then the hood is opened an alarm goes off... But seriously, how is that OK? Dodge dropped the ball on this one.. Big Time. That's really my only real gripe about the car... I'd still buy another.. But what kinda marooooon thought this sort of access to our motor would be ok????

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been like that forever in Vipers. You benefit from the fact no one knows you can open a Viper hood from the outside.

It would be nice if when you locked the doors, it locked the hood from opening.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipersmith, you're absolutely right. I think I may engineer a locking mechanism for it when I have a little spare time. That's just seriously uncool.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It worried me a bit at first. I drive mine everywhere, I'll park it at malls, go to movies, target, etc. Someone popping the hood has become the last thing I worry myself over. You can configure SMS as well to be sent to you when someone pops the hood, but obviously won't work in a underground parking garage.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I relocated the release pull on my Gen 2. The locking mechanism sounds cool but I do like the fact that I don't have to have access to the inside of the car to pop the hood. I think relocating it to hidden spot would be the way to go since the alarm would sound if anyone found it. Just make sure your release cables don't bind and you're good to go. I used bike cables with the plastic sleeves to ensure a non-binding release. Works like a charm!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually now that I think about it. It would be super easy to relocate the pull to the inside on a Gen 5 since it's already close to the firewall.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most people are clueless to where the hood release is on a viper. but beside this i never leave mine out sight.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean none of you put a mesh wire caged poisonous Viper under the hood when you park it where a trap door opens if the hood is popped with the alarm on? I thought that almost everyone did that.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously? None of you leave it out of sight? Really?

How do you go out to eat in it? How do you do normal things (park it and go in a store) in it? It's a car? I can't always have my eyes on it...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never caught anyone doing that to my Vipers, and those people still have their hands to prove it.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

While I agree with you (and wouldn't hesitate to seriously harm an individual pulling that **** on my car), what if I'm in a movie or having dinner and can't see my car. What a PITA... Argh. Another idiosyncrasy to deal with regarding this car.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How do you go out to eat in it? How do you do normal things (park it and go in a store) in it? It's a car? I can't always have my eyes on it...

Actually there are ways if you feel the need to constantly keep an eye on it. I used to have to carry an M-16 in my car and wasn't allowed to let the
car out of sight when dining. (For some reason restaurant owners get nervous when you walk in with an M-16 slung over your shoulder).
Anyway I would just tell them where I wanted to be seated and that way I kept an eye on the car.

A friend of mine is going to lunch with me today and we will park the Viper in a very visible, out of the way part of the parking lot. I'm not worried
about someone popping the hood. Then again, I wouldn't do that at night.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do all the time, there are plenty of people racking up lots of miles on the car.

But, I do live in a pretty affluent area, so $100k cars are chump change around here. I am not really concerned with anyone messing with it. When I go back home to MD to visit my parents, I'll admit I keep it in eye shot. Last time I was visiting my parents I got gas and half a dozen kids in riced out civics wanted to race me. Has never happened down in VA.

But then again, I am conscious of when I take it out. I don't go to the mall on weekends with it, I'll take it during the week when the mall is mostly empty. I go to the grocery store on off hours (during day) when it isn't packed.

Would I take it to Costco on the weekend? Hell no!

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like paranoia to me, it has been like that with previous gens. No one will pop your hood and I do leave mine out of sight..

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The impetus for this thread was that someone popped my hood while i was at dinner (with the car out of sight...) Not exactly privileged information where our hood release is.....

hawkeye

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a lot of mundane things in my gen II when I had it (it was my DD 8 months out of the year).

I never really was too worried about it, I figured a red gts with alarm going off and some knucklehead with his hands in the hood would likely generate sufficient notice that said knucklehead would likely move along.

That said these were the days before youtube, the days when people had more respect for personal property, and in a place where the car was like an alien spaceship. No one but owners (or friends/family that saw me pop the hood) had any idea of how to open it.

These are different times, but I would say if you are really worried then an aftermarket alarm that sms messages you when it goes off would be an option. Then you can come out, issue beat-down, then return to your pleasant dining experience. :D

I feel like an old man saying this (I'm only early 30s), but it is a shame that people don't have respect for other peoples possessions. I wouldn't even dream of putting an uninvited hand on someone's car let alone attempt to pop the hood based on a video or some other previously gathered knowledge...

91Z07

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this video the host tells of the location, between the 30-45 second mark :nono::

2013 SRT Viper GTS - C/D Underbelly

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hawkeye,

we sound a lot alike and we are the same age....

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the miscreant that would do such a thing, pop your hood and mess with the engine bay - won't be watching C&D videos on the Viper. If they do watch those videos, my assumption would be they have some respect for vehicles

The fact is, if someone is going to mess with your car (perhaps unless it is an angry ex wife or girlfriend), you'd probably get key'd and that be it.

Don't worry too much, there really isn't anything you can do about someone with poor intentions anyway.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My motorbike was stolen from my home a couple of weeks ago and I've never felt more down and paranoid while keeping my other stuff parked somewhere ever since! I hope when I get my Viper I'll figure a solution to this hood thing.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone comes up with an elegant solution I'd certainly be all over it. I'll be taking a 2 week road trip this summer going to a variety of hotels and tourist places where I'm not going to be able to watch it, or want to watch it. It sure would be nice to not have to consider even the slightest possibility that somebody was under there to do whatever. People do stupid things, you should expect the unexpected, both when driving and when parked.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think anyone is going to hang around with a horn going off... unless your on a desert island, i like the old school idea..

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, 15 years owning multiple vipers, literally over 100k of miles on these things, and I treat them like normal cars, leave them in the lot, no big deal, never once have I come out to an open hood with an alarm going off, never once.

To say someone dropped the ball on this is a tad strange, it's more like Viper heritage than anything else, it probably takes more weight to put a linkage into the cabin, and it's no big deal. I'd say 10 extra HP is more critical than a cabin hood release...

Heck not only can the general public not open the hood, the dealers can't and heck there are probably some owners that can't... Interesting insight from a new owner, something I never thought about, and it's good getting another opinion, as I bet none of us oldsters ever even thought about this. Heck I can open the gas cap without a cabin release, uhoh... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62