Zaino and Detailing Questions

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I've switched from Meguires on my previous cars to Zaino on the Viper and this multiple coat system is wreaking havok on my supply of applicators and towels, etc. Some questions:

1) How do you wash the Zaino cotton/foam applicators?

2) Do you wash them between every application or can you use one applicator to apply several coats of, say, Z5 over the course of a week?

3) Same question with towels, do they have to be washed after wiping down one coat of Z5 or Z2, or can they be used through the course of about a week (or 3 coats of Z5, 1 or 2 coats of Z2)? I have 5 19" x 19" towels and 2 18" x 25" towels. I use the 5 smaller towels for Z5 and the two larger towels for Z2. It took me 3 small towels just to wipe it donw once.

4) How many towels do you use on average? How many do you have for wax removal?

5) If I have 15 white cotton towels and I use 5 for Z5, 5 for Z2, and 5 for Z6, and then wash them. Will it matter which I then use with Z5, Z2, or Z6? Do they leave residue like conventional polishes and waxes?

6) How do you clean the flat black '96 dashes?

I may have more as I detail the car, but this will help ALOT!

Thanks,
Matt

OP
OP
M

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rollo,

I completely agree about creating some ever growing FAQ about this stuff. I've read all the Car Care posts I can find and I can still come up with unanswered questions.

I gave up on the bath towels after they scratched my Viper while doing minor spot-waxing. They were even the recommended Cannon Fieldcrest towels. I ordered a bunch of cotton detail-specific cloths and towels from www.griotsgarage.com They have some great stuff and they don't leave ANY scratches.

As far as wait time, I also agree, it seems to be a locale variable. I did a first coat of Z5 Saturday and took it off after about an hour. Then Sunday when I went to do the Z6 in preparation for my next coat of Z5 (24 hrs later) I was finishing up and noticed in some spots the polish just seamed to smear around. I couldn't get it off. I went ahead and put on the second coat of Z5 last night and I'll take it off tonight. Leaving it 24 hrs will hopefully "cure" it better than the 1-2 hour wait did. Then I'll do the same for 1 coat of Z2 and hopefully be done for a while.

Joseph,

I'll send Sal a copy of the questions and post if I get answers.

-Matt

Reaction score
Matt, McViper looks great! Glad you are giving her the love she deserves. Wait time will vary with temperature, humidity and qty/thickness of film applied. If I like my eggs boiled one minute in Los Gatos will I get the same result At Squaw Valley's restaurant @ High Camp?

OP
OP
M

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, thickness is another one that I'm not sure on. Since it doesn't haze like wax, it's difficult to gague the coverage. We really need a "Zaino Show and Tell" day for the NorCal VCA. I need to see this stuff used to get the hang of it. I swear I never had this much trouble with my Meguire's stuff. Hopefully this will all be worth it. I'm shining it up for a show at Happy Days Burgers in Campbell on Thursday.

I really need to get answers to 3 and 5 above, though, 'cause I'm running out of towels. Taking off three coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2 is burning though towels faster than the Viper burns gas.

-Matt

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt--no worries on towels. I have used the same towel for numerous coats without washing. And you're right, until you "get the hang" of it, it is hard to tell when it is dry enough to remove. I don't wash out the applicators, I use both sides, and throw them away. In fact, I even often put one in a plastic bag..it will still soft, even with polish on it for quite a while. Also, you can lightly dampen the applicator with Z-6, the polish goes on much easier. Is it worth the effort. YES! Nothing works as well..and I have used just about every type of polish/wax, etc. In fact, i jsut switched a friend over last weekend after he tried it on his '99 Mustang.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Windex and a soft cotton towel/cloth works great on my 94 dash. Unsure if the 96 is different enough to make this info useless.
I wash the applicators along w/ the towels and reuse them (hot water, double rinse, liquid detergent, no fabric softener). I also use the same towels to take off multiple coats of Zaino.

OP
OP
M

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt and Mark,

Thanks for the confirmation. Now I know I can at least finish my prescribed Zaino treatment with the towels and applicators I already have.

-Matt

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Mark on the dash. I have a 96' GTS and windex on a paper towel does wonders. Use a q-tip with windex to do all of those detailing areas around the stickshift/etc. I use windex on my Kensis rims too, takes the dust right off. I guess i'm a little bias on Windex. My wife's a pilot with SCJohnson wax who makes the stuff. Costs us a quarter each......

Reaction score
Rollo, Boiling water one minute at sea level is not the same as 9600 above sea level. At 9600 the water boils at a lower temperature therefore requires longer boiling for the same result.

Matt, McViper had several applications of Z5 and followed by a couple Z2. I let the pre-cleaner and the firstfoat of Z5 set for 24 hours plus, all the other applications of Z5 and Z2 were followed with Z6. Usually by the time I finished one Z2 or Z5 application I was able to start with the Z6. The final removal of the Z6 is most critical from my experience. I have a ton of Meguires stuff if want to switch back, I'll be happy to take the Zaino products. If possible I'll drop by and have a burger, Th.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There is only ONE correct person to call with any technical questions... and that's THE MAN himself, Sal Zaino. He's the master magician that engineered the formulas, and he definitely would be glad to spend as much time as you need to walk through all your questions.

OP
OP
M

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't give up on Zaino just yet. I had a chance to talk to Sal and here's the answers I got regarding my Zaino questions:

1) By hand with mild liquid detergent. Allow to completely dry.

2) Yes, wash them every night after you apply your Zaino. Don't allow product to dry on them.

3) No, you can use them for several removals of Zaino.

5) Doesn't matter. Z5, Z2, and Z6 are completely compatable.

And the biggest point, THIN COATS! He said a bottle of Z5 can do a Viper 30 times!

Hope that helps others,
Matt

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth