ZR-1 Nurburgring commercial

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep seeing a new ZR-1 commercial that is telling about their sub 7:20 run at Nurburgring like it is some kind of record. Wonder if Dodge will answer that with an ad of their own.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not. Which is ok with me. I remember the first time I had seen that commercial I laughed out loud at the tv.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a record!

Vette guys should be proud!

A sub 7:20 is the record for the fastest car with cupholders to ever embrace the Ring! No other car will do that. EVER. Not the LF-A, Not the 458, Not the Aventador, not the ACR, not even the gen V. Even those cupholders are optional through Mopar. :D

--RS

Gunman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with "nurburgring records", is the lack of a sanctioning body, and class definition, so it's too easy for someone to claim, and/or dispute.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
What's so bad about a 7:19, on a non-downforce car? When the ACR with it's tremendous downforce did a 7:22, everyone was ecstatic, and thought that was an absolutely blistering time.

Well, 7:22 is a blistering time. So is 7:19. Especially for a non-downforce car.

My prediction is that the Gen 5 won't get near 7:12 without signifigant downforce, like on the ACR. That is it's ace-up-the-sleeve.

And if the ZR1 goes with downforce, it will tip the scales the other way. Who cares? Competition is good for all brands. I'm just glad they are both American.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 5 will be hard pressed to beat the current ZR1 time, which is why SRT will not run it at the 'Ring until an ACR version is made.
No aero and no Sports Cups.

IMO of course....

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The problem with "nurburgring records", is the lack of a sanctioning body, and class definition, so it's too easy for someone to claim, and/or dispute.

You mean like the current (production car) leader with the 45 min laptop pre-start procedure.?:)

Gunman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean like the current (production car) leader with the 45 min laptop pre-start procedure.?:)

I mean any of the recent claims, ie the Donkervoort, the Radical, etc. Yeah, they are production, and yeah they are street legal, but do they really fall into the same class as a ZR1, or Viper? Then the claims that one car didn't run a full lap, wasn't on OEM tires, etc. Until the records are sanctioned by some standard, they really don't do anything but start arguments, and settle nothing.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The way some guys bash Vettes is just silly.

Look at it this way- The McClaren MP4-12C and the Ferrari 458 italia both do the Ring in about 7:28, which are good times. The ZR1 trounces them both with a 7:19, and the Gen 4 ACR trounced them all with a 7:12.

Do I hate other cars because they are a few ticks slower at the Ring? Nope, becasue there's so much more to it than that. Style, comfort, social class statement.

Imagine you are crusing PCH through Newport Beach in your Gen 5 GTS. Notice how many hot girls look over at you at the stop light. Then take your 458 Italia out, same scenario. Hot girls will be far more attracted to the Ferrari, than will the Viper. First, hot girls don't know hardly anything about cars, except Ferrari is the one name that they recognize, after Louis Vutton, Coach, and Chanel. (Yeah, my daughter is into that)

Most girls wouldn't recognize a Viper over a Mustang. And they couldnt' care less if your Ferrari was beaten a few ticks by "brand X" cheaper sports car. Why? Because hot girls recognize money, stability, upward mobility.

So you aren't interested in a car as a social status symbol? Don't care about fashion, or what girls think? That's cool, no problem. Then go out and buy the absolute fastest car you can on the Ring, which is the butt ugly Gumpert Apollo. That's the fastest you can buy, no holds barred, no talk of looks, fashion, prestige, or price. Well, at least one with a windscreen, wipers, etc. Radicals and Donkeywarts are go-karts, not globally street legal.

What? You wouldn't own a Gumpert if they gave it to you, because it's so freeking ugly? Now wait a minute, you are morphing back into a different value system, where a cars' looks figure into the equation! So which is it? All out fastest Ring time? Or Looks? Or are you assembling a hybrid value system where you weight different elements according to your taste and means, and then declare that the best car you can afford is somehow the winner?

All arguments are relative. You either take the Mustang argument, which is "Lower cost, easy to upgrade, it's almost great" Or you take the Vette argument "Not as lowly as a Mustang, America's oldest sports car, fastest Ring time w/o big ass wing", or you take the Viper ACR argument "fastest Ring car that's practical to buy, best all-around performer, achieves greatness" (in the minds of gear heads), or you take the Ferrari argument "Who cares if some upstart is faster at the Ring, cause I get all the hot chicks"

I like old Triumphs, because of their charm. Even the parts that drop off them in flight are kinda cool, like a fossil or an Indian arrowhead. I like the Jeep Wrangler, cause its a ton of fun! I like various cars for their relative merits, and don't feel the need to compare their penises. Mine drags the ground, actually. But then again, my legs are only 9" long.

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ad has been on for quit some time and sells cars especially to those that don't know about the Vipers run or have blinders on.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean any of the recent claims, ie the Donkervoort, the Radical, etc. Yeah, they are production, and yeah they are street legal, but do they really fall into the same class as a ZR1, or Viper? Then the claims that one car didn't run a full lap, wasn't on OEM tires, etc. Until the records are sanctioned by some standard, they really don't do anything but start arguments, and settle nothing.

I know one thing. Of all those other cars, there's not one you can walk into a dealership TODAY and drive out in one.
Not one that has air conditioning, airbags and a three year manufacturer warranty.
No one, unless you are completely biased can say those are true production cars.
Even the Lexus LFA is a special addition 1 of 50 not sold to the general public.
But I could still go buy a new '10 ACR today.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The way some guys bash Vettes is just silly.

Look at it this way- The McClaren MP4-12C and the Ferrari 458 italia both do the Ring in about 7:28, which are good times. The ZR1 trounces them both with a 7:19, and the Gen 4 ACR trounced them all with a 7:12.

Do I hate other cars because they are a few ticks slower at the Ring? Nope, becasue there's so much more to it than that. Style, comfort, social class statement.

Imagine you are crusing PCH through Newport Beach in your Gen 5 GTS. Notice how many hot girls look over at you at the stop light. Then take your 458 Italia out, same scenario. Hot girls will be far more attracted to the Ferrari, than will the Viper. First, hot girls don't know hardly anything about cars, except Ferrari is the one name that they recognize, after Louis Vutton, Coach, and Chanel. (Yeah, my daughter is into that)

Most girls wouldn't recognize a Viper over a Mustang. And they couldnt' care less if your Ferrari was beaten a few ticks by "brand X" cheaper sports car. Why? Because hot girls recognize money, stability, upward mobility.

So you aren't interested in a car as a social status symbol? Don't care about fashion, or what girls think? That's cool, no problem. Then go out and buy the absolute fastest car you can on the Ring, which is the butt ugly Gumpert Apollo. That's the fastest you can buy, no holds barred, no talk of looks, fashion, prestige, or price. Well, at least one with a windscreen, wipers, etc. Radicals and Donkeywarts are go-karts, not globally street legal.

What? You wouldn't own a Gumpert if they gave it to you, because it's so freeking ugly? Now wait a minute, you are morphing back into a different value system, where a cars' looks figure into the equation! So which is it? All out fastest Ring time? Or Looks? Or are you assembling a hybrid value system where you weight different elements according to your taste and means, and then declare that the best car you can afford is somehow the winner?

All arguments are relative. You either take the Mustang argument, which is "Lower cost, easy to upgrade, it's almost great" Or you take the Vette argument "Not as lowly as a Mustang, America's oldest sports car, fastest Ring time w/o big ass wing", or you take the Viper ACR argument "fastest Ring car that's practical to buy, best all-around performer, achieves greatness" (in the minds of gear heads), or you take the Ferrari argument "Who cares if some upstart is faster at the Ring, cause I get all the hot chicks"

I like old Triumphs, because of their charm. Even the parts that drop off them in flight are kinda cool, like a fossil or an Indian arrowhead. I like the Jeep Wrangler, cause its a ton of fun! I like various cars for their relative merits, and don't feel the need to compare their penises. Mine drags the ground, actually. But then again, my legs are only 9" long.

Someone with some common sense!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think folks will be suprised at the amount of downforce the GEN V will generate even before an ACR is introduced.

Bruce

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think folks will be suprised at the amount of downforce the GEN V will generate even before an ACR is introduced.

Bruce

Beat me to it. But yes, the commercial made me chuckle inside.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh