'00 RT/10 vs. '03 Porsche GT2 to 160 mph...

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'00 RT/10 vs. \'03 Porsche GT2 to 160 mph...

My buddy PMUM calls me last week and says "I just got a new GT2, you wanna drive up to Willow Springs Raceway on Sat. and track our cars" I say OK and we decide to drive up rather then tow and track on street tires. Well we took the little known closed private road up there. There is a 5 mile stretch that is completey straight and smooth. He pulls up beside me at 100 mph and gives me the go sign, we both jump in 4th gear and are off, we took it up to 160 mph and abated. The result? He pulled me by a car length
frown.gif
, I might of pulled him had I been in a GTS with the aerodynamics and all but that is one fast car.

BTW Mr. Mumford turned 1:31zzzzzz at WSIR in a completely stock car on street tires. I gotta get some more mods
laugh.gif

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'00 RT/10 vs. \'03 Porsche GT2 to 160 mph...

That GT-2 sounds like it's angling for a tear-down.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those cars are turning mid 1:30's @ road atlanta with street tires, they are really fast but difficult to drive well. A stock twin turbo with street tires & David Murray driving turns 1:38. A stock GTS with a mortal driving is around 1:42 to 1:46 , I think Rocky Top is doing 1:38 with his modded Viper GTS.

No shame in getting beat by that GT2, In fact I admire your honesty.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

For a comparison, Bob Woodhouse ran a 1:33.1 at Road Atlanta ( on Hoosier DOT Road Race tires ) in his Viper Racing League GT-1. So Snakes can be very fast down there.That time also established a new ITE record.

Heck PMUM is fast in anything!!

ryan 94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think it was a combo of the gearing 3:54 and the aero dynamitcs of the rt/10. When i put my 3:54 in my rt/10 i was
faster from 0-100 and slower from 100-150. I cant wait much longer to do the same test you did. That must have been an awesome sight to see. Maybe i will get the chance to run one at
Road Atlanta in 2003.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
Those cars are turning mid 1:30's @ road atlanta with street tires, they are really fast but difficult to drive well. A stock twin turbo with street tires & David Murray driving turns 1:38. A stock GTS with a mortal driving is around 1:42 to 1:46 , I think Rocky Top is doing 1:38 with his modded Viper GTS.

No shame in getting beat by that GT2, In fact I admire your honesty.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah well in my early road race days PMUM passed me in a stock BMW 330i, the man can drive.

He also mentioned that his stock '98 GTS was faster around around WSIR then the GT2. And he said the GT2 was a handfull going into 4 wheel drifts around turn #8.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pete,

I would love to claim that I drive 1:38s consistently, but in honesty I did it one day about a year or so ago. I was running alot of 1:39s and one or maybe two 1:38s that day. That was with Hoosiers, headers, exhaust, cats and coil overs and before I added my wing. Since its addition I have been a tick or two slower. Just proves that I need to get alot better in the fast sweepers there (i.e., Turn 12).

My last outing after a 4 month layoff (with a couple of wicked flat spots to show for it !), I was only able to muster a hand timed best lap of 1:40, with most of my better laps being in the being in the 1:41-42 range.

Please e-mail me if you have seen my 2-4 seconds !!

Rocky

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Pemberton:
For a comparison, Bob Woodhouse ran a 1:33.1 at Road Atlanta ( on Hoosier DOT Road Race tires ) in his Viper Racing League GT-1. So Snakes can be very fast down there.That time also established a new ITE record.

Heck PMUM is fast in anything!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was talking stock cars for comparison, a porsche supercup, normaly asperated, is in the mid to high 1:20's @ road atlanta with dot's & 370hp. That same test with the twin Turbo 996 with David Murry had a regular porsche club guy driving the same car , the same day went 1:44. So @ a track as fast as R/A, the driver is certainly worth a lot.

We have a lot of guys on this board talking s**t about how they blew away this car or that car, but if your talking Porsche turbo, GT 2 or the new GT3, & a stock viper blew it away, there is some kind of a driver issue at play. They are very evenly matched in the real world, regardless of what the magazine weenies say. & what they lack in HP they more than make up in brakes. I cant wait to get my 03' on the track next year to see what it will do against the big P-waggens.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, that's encouraging to me that a lightly modded R/T10 could hang with a GT2, being behind by one car length at 160MPH is pretty darn close, especially because most GT2s are selling for close to $200K.
redface.gif

Did the cars run neck and neck, and then the GT2 gained with speed, or did the GT2 start ahead and hold the lead?

It would be interesting to see how the cars would do from a stop, and from a 20MPH roll.

-Dean.

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1:42 in a stock viper at Road Atlanta?? Who did that? I find that very hard to believe...

Roy

ps. Hurley ran a 1:39 in a stock TT at Road Atlanta, only 1:38 in a stock GT2.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Dear PDM Racing,

I just used ***** for comparison as these cars are running crate motors with just headers and no cats, and at 3100 lbs ., they are still heavy. Since he had just won his class at ARRC at Atlanta ,figured it would give some folks an idea what the current crop of GT1 ( Viper Racing League ). The new Comp Coupe is said to be 2-3 seconds faster, so it should be able to get into the 1:20's also. Road Atlanta is probably my favorite track in the world, so we all envy those that get to run it alot.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1:38.622 92.717 James C. Adams '98 Dodge Viper 4/99 Natl
From road atlanta archives

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What SoCal Rebel forgot to mention was that PMUM had the GT2 for less than a week and it was brand spankin new. Paul was just babying the car during the break-in period!
I did get to follow him thru 8 and 9 at Willow Springs (for a second or two before he left me in his wake)and the tail end of that Porsche was twitching like crazy. His hands were practically epileptic on that steering wheel!

Backdoc7

Enthusiast
Reaction score

socal!
what's up? for the sake of comparison, what were you and other vipers on streets turning that day at WSIR? what kinda lap times does john deering turn on streets there?
usa-clear-s.gif

Bill

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Backdoc7:
socal!
what's up? for the sake of comparison, what were you and other vipers on streets turning that day at WSIR? what kinda lap times does john deering turn on streets there?
usa-clear-s.gif

Bill

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was the fastest Viper on street tires that day, high 1:35's low 1:36s. The fastest Dearing time documented was January '02 Viperdays at 1:32.7 a full second behind Mumford who in his words "took Dearing downtown to Chinatown
supergrin.gif
"

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

now now Tony, you need to get back on that horse right away!

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What's up Rebel? Going to the club party Sat.? Me an ole pmum layed it to Fred Lee's car leaving the track after VD. Me, pmum and a Porsche full of luggage. FL's silver coupe was right there to 150. Snake would pull at Porsche shift. Close. Take out the 300 lbs. of balast.....I drove that thing home from Button to Aliso Viejo. Hauls the mail but I just wasn't comfy. Maybe it was the price tag.....I gave socal craig a 160 shot in it.dj

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jenkins:
What's up Rebel? Going to the club party Sat.? Me an ole pmum layed it to Fred Lee's car leaving the track after VD. Me, pmum and a Porsche full of luggage. FL's silver coupe was right there to 150. Snake would pull at Porsche shift. Close. Take out the 300 lbs. of balast.....I drove that thing home from Button to Aliso Viejo. Hauls the mail but I just wasn't comfy. Maybe it was the price tag.....I gave socal craig a 160 shot in it.dj

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo DJ, waaasssssup. I'm passing on the Sat. party may do the New Year's Eve thing at the insane asylum. With my 3:54 gears I think I coulda taken P-diddy to 100mph, 100-160 I think they hurt me, and being an RT/10 it doesn't exactly slice through the wind. We nailed it at the same time and he just sloooooowly pulled me ever so much until we hit 160 and backed off, it was a very slow progression of which I was on the wrong end.

BANKTHIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron.... You're killing me! Part of the reason I was going to the party, was to see your DATE!!!!

Barry

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you think the GT2 was constructed because of the Viper?

I remember when the Toyota Supra came out, there was a review that it outran the 3.3L Turbo. Porsche came out about a year later with the 3.6 that just barely outran the Supra. Funny with the 996TT so close to the Viper in numbers it seemed appropriate that they would make one just a little bit faster.

It would be interesting to see how the X50 996TT 4 all wheel drive would hold up. I'm sure its a little bit easier to drive.

I've got to hand it to you guys who run such quick times in the Viper. It takes some pretty good nerve to run a Viper at that high speed.

The Wall Street journal had a review of exotic cars. They thought the GT2 was a pretty livable car.

Their only complaint was that it looked too much like the Porsche that your Dentist drives. I'm not sure if that's a slam against Dentists or the 996.

Actual Film footage of GT2 competing with Viper.

<OBJECT WIDTH=320 HEIGHT=240><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://vreracing.com/Viper/Vipergt.swf"><PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high><PARAM NAME=scale VALUE=exactfit><PARAM NAME=menu VALUE=false><PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=bgcolor="#eeeeee"><EMBED src="http://vreracing.com/Viper/Vipergt.swf" quality=high menu=false scale=exactfit WIDTH=320 HEIGHT=240 swLiveConnect=true TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash"></EMBED></OBJECT>

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jenkins:
I gave socal craig a 160 shot in it.dj

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, PMUM's 996TT X50 pulled hard, but I gotta believe the GT-2 is even faster.

DJ, my car needs work. Gotta check out your new shop soon
smile.gif

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave
Layed it to me is a little strong.
smile.gif
Sure was fun though. Side by side on a two lane road trading fender lengths adds a different flair than driving on the track.
BTW, I had an indicated 170 mph on my speedo when I looked over and saw you guys smiling back and adjusting the radio, and I bailed/chickened out.
I'm sportin' the superchargers next time.
Fred Lee