'01 and '02 ABS and High Performance Driving

vipertime3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\'01 and \'02 ABS and High Performance Driving

I'd appreciate any/all opinions about how well the ABS system performs during track use. I know that some of you have upgraded your brake systems to Stop Tech or Brembo, so thoughts about those improvements would also be greatly appreciated. Any particular issues with the ABS during track events? Thanks in advance.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'01 and \'02 ABS and High Performance Driving

The ABS is a real asset, there would onlybe a very very small percentage of drivers that can stop a car better than an ABS system. In my '01 & '02 car on a road course the ABS would work on a totally dry track. I am convinced that the ABS is better than not. The SRT brakes are just incredible in a different league alltogether!! The new cars stopping ability put it in a class with the worlds best if not at the top of the list.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Sometimes, under hard braking, my fronts will skid a bit. When I am "standing" on the brake pedal, I can hear the tires squeal, and feel the resultant shimmy. When this is happening, there is no pedal oscillation to indicate that the ABS has kicked in, and the slaves are being pulsed. I didn't think the ABS system would allow any lock up at all, so its a bit of a surprise to me that the fronts could lock up, even the small amount that I have experienced.

I don't stand on the brake hard enough, or long enough, to make the ABS active at track speeds. The tire squeal is only noticed when approaching threshold. I have yet to really stand on it hard enough and long enough to determine if the wheels would continue to skid, or if the ABS would go active.

On slick surfaces, if the pedal is applied forcefully, the ABS does kick in, and operates normally. So it seems to be working at lower speeds. Maybe the ABS computer averages out slippage based on wheel speed, and so it allows a certain percentage of slippage before it kicks in. If that was true, it would follow that the higher the speed, the more slippage could be allowed, before it starts pulsing the slaves? Could be a software shortcoming. And if the foregoing is true, then it would stand to reason that at very high speeds, you could get a bit of lockup, just before the ABS goes active.

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have ABS on my 02' F.E. and you do not even think about not having brakes. I have my 00' at Bobby Archers place getting the ABS installed as I write this. I think it is worth the money.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have experience with mine. 3 track events. My first event was the one I was the WORSTE on my ABS. The abs HAS to have some slip, thats the ONLY way it knows your slipping. I have owned a multitude of ABS cars, including Porsches they ALL did VERY minimal SKIPPING. How else does the car know you need ABS intervention ? thats it job, to grab as hard as possible to where wheel lock is almost eminent, and then slightly release it, and reapply again, constant checking and rechecking by the system, on the magnitude of 100-1000's a second I believe ? Anyway, for a NOVICE, the ABS will easily save your *** on the track, and also allow you to recover from situations you went in TOO hot into on the track. I am not saying its a good idea at all to threshold break as a novice on the track, but if you have to then ABS is safer.

Best part of ALL, unless you spin out, your not going to flat spot your tires.

Honestly even on the last track weekend I participated on, I saw my need for the ABS reduced drastically from my first outing. About the hardest use they got at the track is when I was showing off to a fellow ACR user just HOW hot I could go into an upcoming turn and nail the breaks to bring the car down to a reasonable speed in time for the turn. I liked seeing him looking for an "Oh **** handle" even though we know there isnt one in a viper.. lol..

ABS is good stuff, if you dont need it then fine.. but when/if you do, its GREAT to know it is there waiting on you..

Jon

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have ABS on my 02' F.E. and you do not even think about not having brakes. I have my 00' at Bobby Archers place getting the ABS installed as I write this. I think it is worth the money.

What is adding the ABS running you?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What is adding the ABS running you?

Indeed, I would like to know this too. Coming from the C5, I've found the Gen II braking a rather dismal experience.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For the Viper Racing League guys the Brake upgrade of choice seems to be Stoptech
I purchased Rob Fosters 2001 GTS VRL car and it has Stoptechs all round and as far as I know is the only ABS equipped VRL car built.

When you put stoptechs on your car, because the piston area is increased there is more pedal travel than stock. Solution is to install a GM Master Cylinder - Roe Racing has them. This firms up the pedal.

ABS At the track - You can threshold brake and stay out of the ABS OR
Dive deeper into a corner and stomp on the things and let the ABS do its thing. Either way I experienced nothing unusual.

I do like the pedal feel far better with the GM Master cylinder than without and was into the ABS far less.

I run with a number of 2001 Vipers that have stock brakes and the ABS really makes a difference.
The guys without ABS are flatspotting tires all day.

Bring spare pads to the track - stock pads on ABS equipped cars just do not last.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm tracking my 2000 GTS quite a bit and I keep going back and forth on whether or not to have abs put in my car. I had the car set-up by Bobby Archer, but didn't have enough left in the end to afford abs. So I planned to have it put in later. But I get different opinions all the time of whether abs is worth the $ or not. So I would be interested to hear what Hogdealer thinks of his car when he gets it back.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver ignition key, ACR 5 point harnesses.

OP
OP
V

vipertime3

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Everyone,

Thanks for the candid discussion about the value/performance of the ABS system. For those of you who have extensive track experience with your Viper, what other issues/problems have arisen as a result of the track use... motor problems, trans. problems, etc. I'm only interested in road course track time not the drag strip. Again, thanks in advance.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the only thing that would concern me is how a retro-fit system would be in terms of reliability. also i see adding the system to a pre '01 car as a big expense that would most likely never be recoverd when you sell the car.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm a club racer, and I've never had any problem with my Viper. Bigger brakes are a plus though.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver ignition key, ACR 5 point harnesses.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm upgrading to Stop Techs in a simple way...I'm buying a car that has them installed. I'm just lazy.

I dunno about the SRT-10 ABS yet, as I haven't tracked that car except for "parade laps" at a recent track event (no roll bar installed yet).

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is Bobby retrofitting the stock 2001/2002 ABS setup on your car? Since updating and backdating is the only thing legal from a brake perspective in T1, that must be how he's doing it. Can you confirm?