03 E-brake stuck, anyone have this problem?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like i said i heard a grinding noise from the back drivers wheel after a trip to michigan. I took the wheel off to find that the inside of the rotor was all scored up and that i had no more inside pad left but the outside pad was perfect. I'm talking about the e-brake caliper. Car has 9K on it. Car is still under warranty so i will call the dealer on this one but it still *****.
Just was wondering if anyone else had this same sticky caliper situation.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same for me. Left inside e-brake pad gone at 14k miles. But I was hesitant to blame it on stuck caliper as I noticed it was off the rotor when straight, and grind/squeak when initiating a right turn. I figured it was the 700 miles or so of tracking with the g's pushing the inside pad into the rotor.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not had this problem with my 2003 viper but have seen this many times on jeep CJ's and Wranglers. It was caused by having bad bearings in the axle hubs or by having the clip come off the end of the axle so there was play in it. I would check for play in the axle by tring to pull in and out on the wheel when the whole rear of the car is jacked up. My 2003 is still under warranty, let the dealer deal with it.

Robbie

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
My e-brake squeals a lot when I drive, or when going over a bump. By applying it only a little bit, the noise stops.

This is extremely annoying and the "vipertecH" (sigh!) could not find anything wrong with the vehicle....

So vipertech yours truly will try to find out this weekend when I take the rear wheel off to install the insulation.

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Robbie racer---

I can rule that out because its only the e-brake caliper.

I talked to the dealer today, i asked them to order the parts before i come in and have them ready.......they told me "ya right, why don't you bring the car in on Friday at 3:30. These guys are ****..............
oh-well

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just took mine in for the same exact thing last week. '03 with 14k miles too. They ordered new parts, should be here anyday.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:
I talked to the dealer today, i asked them to order the parts before i come in and have them ready.......they told me "ya right, why don't you bring the car in on Friday at 3:30. These guys are ****..............
oh-well

Most but not all. There are a lot of great dealers around. Call Chuck Tator and ask who he would use in your area.

Robbie