'03 Viper vs. 03 Z06 - Automobile Mag test results

Lawboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'03 Viper vs. 03 Z06 - Automobile Mag test results

Please keep in mind Automobile magazine does not get very good times but its all relative.

0-60MPH -----> V 4.2, Z 4.5
0-100MPH----> V 9.3, Z 10.3
1/4 Mile-------> V 12.3@120MPH, Z 12.8@114MPH
30-70 Pass---> V 20.5, Z 19.2
70-0 Stop-----> V 153Ft, Z 154Ft
The Z06 lapped the 1.88 mile road course .2 second FASTER than the Viper. ???

the results were kinda surprising. but i guess the Viper was approx 5 carlengths ahead in the 1/4. thought i would pass this along.

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'03 Viper vs. 03 Z06 - Automobile Mag test results

At first I was disappointed, but if you take into consideration the times the Z06 got, the Viper didn't do that bad. I still think the Viper should have taken the Z06 on the road course.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you saying this is against an SRT???

And the Z06 beat the SRT on the road course?

OP
OP
L

Lawboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yes it was a SRT-10. sorry i guess i should have made that more clear in the title.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not far off from what I expected. This might go down as the first head to head test in history between these two cars where the Viper actually outbrakes the Corvette.

Keep in mind also that this is the very track-oriented coupe version, the Z06, against an open-topped car. Looking back at an old MT test ("Detroit Muscle"), the RT/10 lapped the 1.5-mile Waterford Hills road course 1.81 seconds slower than the 385-hp Z06. So, yeah, it'd be nice to see the SRT-10 ahead of the current 405-hp Z06 on the track. But in any event, it sounds like a decent step forward.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

C'mon, how can the Zo6 take the SRT on the road course? The press I rec'd from DC claimed lateral G in the 1.15 territory, now with 95 more hp than the Z06, & what, 100 more ft/lbs of torque, plus reportedly better brakes now than the Z06. I'm sorry but with the hoopla from DC & the price, I've been expecting the SRT to have a serious can of whoop **** in the trunk - but these reports so far are just all ****.

If the SRT is truly making this mediocre of a showing, how disappointing. If the rags are having their way with a little driving prejudice, well, again, how disappointing.

DC, you should've greased some palms, given some driving instruction, and made sure the perf numbers are there - taking no chances!

Dave.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only significant positives the article* had to say about the SRT was the improvement in braking and better overall handling than Gen II, both of which I think are very meaningful. However, the article was more a Z06 vs SRT comparison than a Gen II vs Gen III contest.

Personally, I'd be happy to wait an extra six months if CAAP wants to retool the engine and maybe give us another 10% improvement in the power department (please don't wake me from this pleasant dream)....customers would (mostly) be happy, DCX would be happy to read reviews giving the advantage to their product and hopefully will sell more SRTs in '04, '05 and beyond. I ordered mine for the performance improvements despite a downgrade in the looks department.

The article clearly gave the nod to a Z06 over the SRT but did spend WAY too much time whining about heat issues that supposedly were worse in prototypes than will be in production.

Again, it's only someone else's opinion, but DCX can't be thrilled to read about the SRT, "It had (and has) an audience in America, but it's not clear that the latest redesign will do any better job of appealing to that audience, much less broadening it." Brake and handling improvements aside (and they are no small improvement, IMHO) I say, toss us another 50 HP and the difference will be a lot more apparent. Maybe that's the game plan for '04 ???

* "Two Hot Sliders, to go", Automobile, November 2002

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Miami Jeff;

Just a question on the wanting more hp; if the vette has less hp and less weight, isn't the problem getting the rubber on the road? I would guess after owning two Vipers that wheelspin is already the #1 problem for most drivers which would reduce the SRT drag times substantially.

I know when I have dragged that I usually get way too aggressive and launch with too much rpm; it is just natural in any other car. If I could just "hold my horses" and launch at say, 2,000 rpm, I am sure I would do much better. I don't think the mags really understand how much a controlled launch would help.

Ultimately, I think it is our nature to really nail the throttle instaed of controlling all that twist! I am sure many would agree that drag racing a Viper for the best times requires "better use" of the prodigious power we already have.

I say the hp isn't the problem, it is our general lack of skill as non-professional racers.

Just my opinion, but I know I need to learn better skills to use what is already more than the majority of us can really master for the best times.

Sincerely,

Jim

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is funny because genII Viper killed Z06 on the road track.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't realize they tested in 105 degree temperatures.

Heck, 105 degrees is going to diminish performance by quite a large margin! I'm pretty excited that C&D attained a 12.0@119 (or 120 or whatever it was) in 120 degree heat!

Mike - in Denver

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I picked up on the same thing as Maxwedge. The mags tested a drop top in 105+ temp. I have always owned cabs and I cannot remember EVER being in a good mood at that temperature. It is also tough to drive aggressive in that heat, but that could be the cannuk blood in me.

I am buying an SRT because I want a roadster and I am tired of my removable top on my SRT. I am probably the only one on this board that likes convertible cars so I know that I am in the minority.

My RT/10 is by far may favorite car that I have EVER owned, but the drop in the market tells me that I will have to trade it (two will be tough, and the wife won't let go of the Porsche). Having said that, if I based my purchase on what magazines have said about the RT/10 I would have NEVER bought a Viper. There has never been a kind word about the ride, the heat, the roof, the tracking, and the finish. Guess what...that's also why my friends and I used to make fun of Vipers. From the seat of my porsche, and the can, reaing Road and Trend/Motor something (they all blend together) the Viper was a crude, simple, dumb car. Then I rented one on a vacation and learned that it is hot, uncomfortable, and different to drive. I also had a permanent smile on my face all the way back home and picked one up the next weekend. I Love My Car. Sorry Magazines. I bet I will Love my SRT too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten