05 Vette vs. 03 Viper

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I participated in "Autos In Motion" in Denver. For those not familiar with it, it is sponsered by GM and you are allowed to drive GM vehicles and some of their competition (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.). Showing up with one hell of a hangover and my face cut up and bruised from a wild party, I headed straight for the high performance test drive section. Each participant gets 2 shots at driving a GM high performance car. Wanting to see how it holds up next to my 03 Viper. I got in the first one (you have to have a GM co-pilot for the high performance cars and the hummers), revved it up to about 3k and dropped the clutch. The car burnt rubber for about 30 or 40 yards, I shifted to 2nd, had to slow for a 90 degree turned, went quickly through the twisties, and hammered on a short straight away. The car was quick but had absolutely no fear-factor compared to my Viper. The whole time I was launhing (nothing like a Viper launch), the car was very well-behaved. I was disapponted, so I grabbed a red one and tried again. Revved up to about 4k, dropped the clutch and was quickly surrounded by the smell of burnt clutch. The GM co-pilot was yelling to get my foot off of the clutch (he thought I was slipping it) and I lifed by left knee up to my chest while the clutch continued to burn. I let up and we made it around the track. The GM then took the car for a drive and when he pulled back in the car was almost totally engulfed in white smoke. I conned the guy in charge of the high performance vehicles (I think he was slightly intimadated by my busted up face and booze breath) to let my try one more Vette, since the clutch went out on that one at the very beginning of the ride. On the third vette, I again revved it up to about 3k and dropped the clutch. The car slowly accelerated, no tire burning, no clutch burning, just a sluggish sports car. My guess is that the first car was in competition mode, the second was a lemon, and the third was in poser mode. Bottom line, the vettes were not even close to the excitement you get with a hard launch in a Viper. IMHO they are basically poser/chick cars. They look good, but unless modded out they are very docile.

PS I watched other drivers trying to do a hard launch and out of all the vettes (must have been 5 or 6, only one would actually burn the tires (that was probably the one I first drove). No way would I buy a vette.

BTW The best cars I drove there were a Mercedes E320 and a Lexus ES330. The Cadalac Escalade was okay and the H2 was just boring. So you guys are right VIPERS Rule! (too bad dodge (the warranty) can't get the reliability up to where it needs to be).

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Richard...sounds like you may be coming around despite some of the 'issues' that you've
purported to have faced which seemed to have dampened your Viper ownership experience so far. ;)

OP
OP
R

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SnakeEye,

I don't think I have ever complained about the looks and performance of the Viper (they are totally awesome), but I still think they have way too many build/reliabilty issues for a car in that price range, and my personal experience trying to deal with dodge (the warranty) on a premature clutch failure will preclude me from ever buying (or recommending to anyone else (except maybe my enemies)another DCX product (even though I test drove a Mercedes E class a few weeks ago that was one of the most comfortable cars I ever ridden in, their association with dodge (the warranty)puts them out of consideration on principle).

It was nice to find out that the new Vettes were basically chick/poser cars. Maybe that will change when GM starts outsourcing and having the Japanese design and build their "quality/top of the line cars".

Maybe DCX should consider having the Japanese take over CAAP and them maybe the Viper would be perfect???

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was nice to find out that the new Vettes were basically chick/poser cars.

While I agree the Base C6 copue may be for the mass production, the C6 Z06 maybe a differnt story. While the C6 Z06 may be a "chick/poser" car w/ it's dry sump unless DC does something the Gen II will look Sweet in the rear view mirror.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was nice to find out that the new Vettes were basically chick/poser cars.

Never thought Id see the day when a 400hp/400tq car with very good handling would be called a chick/poser car....Hmmmm that makes the original Vipers chick/poser cars too...Its the owners fault not the cars, if it a poser car..Dont be so worried about the reg C6 being competition for Gen III's. Its the upcoming Z06 that you should be worried about.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing a little bolt on Blower won't take care of! :cool: For that matter a header cat back and gears will take care of those pesky C6 Z06's.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

Richard...sounds like you may be coming around despite some of the 'issues' that you've
purported to have faced which seemed to have dampened your Viper ownership experience so far.

What he said... :2tu:

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing a little bolt on Blower won't take care of! :cool: For that matter a header cat back and gears will take care of those pesky C6 Z06's.

Very true, but it's sad when you have to throw a blower on the Viper just to beat a stock Vette. And believe it or not, Vette onwers mod their cars as well.

Got-Busa?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very true, but it's sad when you have to throw a blower on the Viper just to beat a stock Vette. And believe it or not, Vette onwers mod their cars as well.

I really don't see what the big deal is? :confused:

Buy a pre-02 Viper for around +/-$50k and sink the rest in mods. The $75k Z06 won't have a chance for the same $$$$$$! Mod for mod, doesn't the Viper have the advantage in the end?

Also, you guys are comparing a Viper to a car that isn't even out yet. Based on what, the spec sheet!?!?! If that's the only reason you guys like/buy/own Vipers maybe you should be buying something else. :rolleyes:

As you have said above......who keeps the car stock OEM anyway????? I sure as hell don't! :headbang:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buy a pre-02 Viper for around +/-$50k and sink the rest in mods. The $75k Z06 won't have a chance for the same $$$$$$! Mod for mod, doesn't the Viper have the advantage in the end?

[/QUOTE]

Im so ashamed to see the Viper reduced to ricer comments like this :( Never thought Id see the day when this rational would be needed for Viper owners to feel good about their purchace...This is the same argument the Vette/Civic/Supra etc have all used against the Viper in the past. Now Viper guys are using it on the Vette. You know the Vette guys are loving the irony. I guess this goes to show we all react the same when our car is behind the eight ball.
DC a little help please. lol

OP
OP
R

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense to all the vette lovers. I was just relating my experience with the three '05 vettes I test drove compared to my '03 Viper. (and I won't even get into the slug of a turbo-charged Saab (sob?) I drove).

Other model vettes and modded out vettes are probably a totally different story.

But the three vettes I drove, I would classify as poser/chick cars (no offense to the ladies).

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense to all the vette lovers. I was just relating my experience with the three '05 vettes I test drove compared to my '03 Viper. (and I won't even get into the slug of a turbo-charged Saab (sob?) I drove).

Other model vettes and modded out vettes are probably a totally different story.

But the three vettes I drove, I would classify as poser/chick cars (no offense to the ladies).

Noa offense here I agree. I would NEVER buy a base Vette, just too commoon and doesn't appeal tp to me. I'm going to give the C6 Z06 an hosest chance but if it fails to deliver I'm going elsewhere. As you can see, I'm NOT brand loyal. :laugh:

Got-Busa?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Im so ashamed to see the Viper reduced to ricer comments like this :( Never thought Id see the day when this rational would be needed for Viper owners to feel good about their purchace...This is the same argument the Vette/Civic/Supra etc have all used against the Viper in the past. Now Viper guys are using it on the Vette. You know the Vette guys are loving the irony. I guess this goes to show we all react the same when our car is behind the eight ball.
DC a little help please. lol

[/QUOTE]

Ricer comments???? ***??? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you own a Viper as an extension of something? If you buy a Viper to feel good about your purchase, once again you own the wrong car. I guess it's just a status symbol for you or at least thats what it sounds and looks like! :2tu: