06 SRT Vert vs. 07-09 911 turbo Cab

dgt1031

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone own both cars or driven both cars? I have a newborn and really need a backseat, but I still own my 06 red SRT vert, but never get to drive it.

I dont want to regret the swap, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the Viper...and buy a used mini van. For what you will lose selling it and pay for tax/registration, you can have both! Thats what we did!

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:hahaup: I have to agree +1 on the srt8 but a nice used mini is a better financial choice. Since you own a Viper your not having to throw your man card away either. Take it from me I have 6 kids!

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche will be in business tomorrow, viper is gone with the parent company.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:hahaup: I have to agree +1 on the srt8 but a nice used mini is a better financial choice. Since you own a Viper your not having to throw your man card away either. Take it from me I have 6 kids!

The fact that you have 6 kids makes you a permanent member of the man club (mini van or not)!

deadman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone own both cars or driven both cars? I have a newborn and really need a backseat, but I still own my 06 red SRT vert, but never get to drive it.

I dont want to regret the swap, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

It's not IF but WHEN you will regret it... I've driven turbovert and it seemed to me as a boat with heavy ass. But hey, I may not be the reference point, my 05 had (only) 460rwhp, 3.55 rear, motons and sticky kumhos at a time, while 911 was bone stock AND tiptronic... I'd say 911TT is a fine car for german roads (been there, know them VERY well) when you put serious miles on it (on these fine roads). For short mile thrill on (US roads) viper is the best. Listen to wise men, keep Viper (and get Motons, 355 AND woodhouse mounts) and get not a van but a MINI vert if you need to give your newborn a ride of his life:)

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo and get an 700hp upgrade from evoms.com. EVT700. 10.8s in the 1/4 and reliable and comfortable and fits your kids.

6 speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a 96 911, (993) non-turbo Cab which I really liked. The 993's 95-98 were the last air cooled cars and have a more raw, seat of the pants feel than the newer cars. While less expensive than an 07-09 they hold their value very well and are becoming collectible. You could keep the Viper and possibly afford one of these also. The 96-98 cars make a little better power due to variable valve timing.

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure if the man is looking at a new 911 turbo he doesn't want a used mini van! haha I have no input other than no mini cooper and no mini van!!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Viper is far from gone.

Stay tuned.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo and get an 700hp upgrade from evoms.com. EVT700. 10.8s in the 1/4 and reliable and comfortable and fits your kids.

What he said. And if you get the Tiptronic transmission, it can hold 900+ ft-lb of tourque as it has been proven in many tuned AMG twin turbo V12's as MB and Porsche uses the same not so slush box. The shifting is also very quick and when you drive the car agressively, the trans changes shift maps - holds gear longer, down shift and blips harder, etc. But a stock Turbo is pretty soft and not that quick. You'll need to do a EVOMS or GIAC tune w/ exhaust to wake up the car, then lowering springs is a must, coilovers are better if you track the car so figure $10K in mods. If I could only keep one car, it will be the 997 Turbo.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I can only keep one car it will be my ACR. The 911 has lots of the usual turbo lag and after 2 years loss of boost just like all turbos. I love the GT3 RS and that is my 2nd car choice after the Viper. They are pricey but normally aspirated so get one for your car seat hauler. It will be very valuable later too since it's now out of production.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had my 77 Turbo Carrera since 85 wouldn't trade or sell it.

I feel the same way about my ACR those would be the last two cars I sell from my collection.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I can only keep one car it will be my ACR. The 911 has lots of the usual turbo lag and after 2 years loss of boost just like all turbos. I love the GT3 RS and that is my 2nd car choice after the Viper. They are pricey but normally aspirated so get one for your car seat hauler. It will be very valuable later too since it's now out of production.

Yes the Turbos have some turbo lag, the 997 less so, the 997 w/ a proper tune even less so. Don't forget the 997 TT Tiptronics can sprint to 60 in 3.4 and w/ a tune, HFC, and exhaust, they are in the low 3's. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my ACR but if I can keep ONLY ONE CAR, it will have to be the Turbo because at least I can carry wife, mom and dog in it to dinner. With the proper suspension setup and alignment, the Turbo actually handles quite well, not quite as good as a GT3 which I owned before the Turbo but its ride is also a lot more civilized but still can handle a track day or two in between.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Viper, but with the turbo I kill Gen 3s and beat up on Gen 4s. From a roll or a dig I can put like 4 to five cars when the boost comes on and it comes on fast with the EVT700 turbos. I have the lowering springs as well as HREs it is much better with the springs. My friend had a GT3. Nice car, but felt slow compared to the turbo. Granted we beat an F430 from a roll. I was suprized. Cant go wrong with the turbo.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SIX KIDS, You need to buy a TV!!:rolaugh:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think there's 2 Viper couples or more that run their child seat on the console, and attend Viper events!!!

Otherwise I'd buy a Supersnake Shelby GT with 725hp, or a Challenger SRT8, Jeep SRT8 and add a supercharger.

I 'helped' the wife buy an 08 RAM 1500 and am adding headers, exhaust, CAI, tune, etc. and will get 22mpg with 420hp. It is the wife's car and we do own a General store.

My 500hp 440 73 Duster has a backseat ane will appreciate over time.

My DD is a modified TT Stealth AWD. At 500hp I guess it's similar to a Porsche, except the Stealth looks nicer, gets 25mpgUS. and costs about the same as a Minivan. At 500hp it's only 11s in the quartermile.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang