08 conv. boot cover problems.

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been having problems getting a good fit on my boot on my 2008 viper (don't know if its common to all gen III, IV or what. First off after tucking it in as good as I can get it and closing the trunk everything looks ok. When I get on the expressway the passenger side always comes loose (above 60-70 mph) and I have to reach back and tuck it in. The sides are OK but seem like a lame set up for a MPH car. My old MG-TD at least had snaps and I felt it held better. The other day I was cruising down I-75 (and in one of the worse places to have this happen) I got on it and got over to get on my exit lane(southbound). At about 80 mph :drive: the boot just sprang off the car. I had to get off and go back to the first exit to head south again. I didn't have much hope of finding it good shape. Of course when I took it to dodge (Sarasota Doge) they told me I must have put it on wrong. 1. I haven't had the top up in about two weeks, in fact I took it in because the windshield wipers were in-op and with 1200 miles on it I found out my wipers were out because I went through a car wash a couple weeks ago and neede to use them because the foam totally blinded me and I had to open the door slightly to make sure I didn't hit the wheels and make sure it was centered so I didn't hit anything else by being off center because the wipers were out. I waited a couple weeks before taking it in because I really don't like the dealer and this last incident did it as far as me getting another viper and I am thinking of trading my Durango in not at this dealer. If anyone knows a good dealer (I heard Orlando is one of the better ones in FL for warranty work) and if anyone has had problems with their boot? Thanks for giving me any advise.:usa:
Charlie

I have had a few incidents with this dealer but this one did it, and at almost $400, Im pissed! 95% of my driving is with the top down.:bur2:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First .. i'm amazed u took u're viper to a car wash...Pretty risky especially considering the width of the rear tire...

Get a new boot and have the dealer or someone with experience show u how to put the boot on correctly....it took me quite a few attempts to get mine on correctly now it's pretty routine..The side pieces snap in pretty sharply.. sounds like u're not snapping them in correctly... but u have to have it tucked under the top before u can snap in the side pieces..

Try to find a local vca member to help u out

V

Venomiss

Sunset Dodge - New, Used or Certified Dodges in Sarasota, FL

Have you tried another dealer in your area? It looks like you have three but I would call each to see if they have a qualified Viper Tech first that can show you how to put on the boot properly.

I also was amazed you ran it through a car wash...:) Glad it came out in one piece and your tires and rims weren't damaged.

You might want to contact your local club and see if they know of a good dealership.

Florida: North/Central
website John Canal
[email protected] 110 Timberlachen Circle
Lake Mary, FL 32746
Work: 407-328-7757
Home: 407-620-6843

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My "boot" fits great.....you need some coaching for the install.....mine fits very tight, so it has to be the installer......sorry bout that! Get hold of another member who has a Gen 3/4 and they can help you out....it should fit snugly, and not come off at all.....I have had my car over 160mph with the top down and the boot on and NO problems what-so-ever!

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've seen several references to the boots on 08's. Was it ever determined if it is supposed to be included with an 08? If not, where can they be purchased from?
Thanks

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen several references to the boots on 08's. Was it ever determined if it is supposed to be included with an 08? If not, where can they be purchased from?
Thanks

I received my boot cover for my 2008 several months after pickup from the dealership with a letter apologizing and explaining that boot covers were not available at the time my car was built.

/Rich

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I received my boot cover for my 2008 several months after pickup from the dealership with a letter apologizing and explaining that boot covers were not available at the time my car was built.

/Rich

Maybe since I got a gas cap tether with mine, I'm not entitled to a boot...

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper in a .... CAR WASH?????????????

Not to derail, but I took my 05 thru an automated car wash this morning.

No problems at all, there are no rails on the auto washes I go to, so the wheels are not at risk and in a pinch (read 5 minutes) the car is spotless and dust free.

The only problem I ever get is minor water ingress due to the high pressure initial water spray. I just bring a towel and all is fine.

OP
OP
C

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man it took me forever to find this post. I didn't take it to a regular car wash, mine is similar to xjrguy's. I also take my motorcycle there.
As far as my boot issue I finally got another one at another dealer. It wasn't a good fit. the stiching on one side was defective not allowing it to fit tight so when I got up to 60+mph the right side of the boot would come out and I was always tucking it back in while driving down the highway. When it flew off I was going about 90. I'm glad I turned around (I-75) and found it after vehicles had torn it up.

OP
OP
C

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe since I got a gas cap tether with mine, I'm not entitled to a boot...
Mine just showed up in the mail, as did the car cover about two months after a bought mine. I'd call the dealer or factory. From what I understand the covers and the one year of VCA membership comes with the 08's. My dealer told me nothing and I ended up paying for a VCA membership before I learned about the free year. I woin't buy another dodge from Sarasota dodge again. Orlando seems like its the best in FL from all I have read. Sure wish I was closer to Tators.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand the covers and the one year of VCA membership comes with the 08's. My dealer told me nothing and I ended up paying for a VCA membership before I learned about the free year.

Call Viper Headquarters. They will give you your free year next year. Dodge takes several months to get the info to the VCA.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32