'08 low fuel indictor - comes on with less than a gallon in the tank?

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed this? Today I filled up approx 3 miles after the light came on. There was room for 15.5 gallons in the tank, which obviously means there was less than a gallon when the warning light came on! (The '08 supposedly has a 16gal gas tank?)

This is quite a difference from the 06 where the light came on when there was 3 gallons left in the tank...

Peter

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Remember the neck of the gas tank will also hold about 1/2 gallon of gas. My light comes on when I have about 4 gallons left. With the gas prices the way they are I don't let the tank get any lower than 3/4 and fill it up! Much less evaporation with a full tank (so I'm told by the "experts"!)

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its not good to let your tank get that low for the fuel pump.i fill up when i get close to the 1/4 or a little under half

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its not good to let your tank get that low for the fuel pump.i fill up when i get close to the 1/4 or a little under half

Yeah, but in the 2006, 3.5 gallons left in the tank (when the light came on) translates to 1/5 left in the tank. I doubt that's bad for the fuel pump.

But in the 2008 the light obviously means there's less than 1/16 left! :omg:

Quite a difference, and definitely worth a heads up!

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is a question fo SRT. I think the tanks are the same they just published 16 for 08 to cover possible warrantee issues. IMHO

OP
OP
P

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think this is a question fo SRT. I think the tanks are the same they just published 16 for 08 to cover possible warrantee issues. IMHO

I'd buy that explanation, because the fuel gauge arrow was about at the same level as when the warning light came on in my '06 (it was not below red, more on the upper side of red), which means that at least in theory it could go even lower...

I drove every tank on my '06 (7200miles) until the warning light came on. Never noticed any problems doing so... :dunno:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah,

I think the 16 gallon figure is a typo. Hard to believe they'd make the tank smaller.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson