08 mods

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers, exhaust and PCM(updated controller) are the only performance mods for the drive train. You can always change the gear ratio's and update to Moton shocks.

Bruce

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And subject of a running thread "Belanger&PCM upgrade" Arrow Racing Engines,the folks that do all the warranty work for Viper engines can port the lower portion of your intake manifold....do not have it on my car yet but good for another 20-25 HP......

Reaction score
The heads can be done although the factory porting is exceptional. The Mopar PCM would need to be utilized with this mod and while you are at it you might as well do the intake porting, Belanger headers and Corsa catback to get the most from it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with Mark. The port and chamber uniformity of the Gen-4 heads/Intake is exceptional to say the least. Personally, I would rather see stable and usable power from cleaning up and polishing any flaws in the runners/castings than trying to alter [and likely greatly reduce the uniformity] of the CNC chambers and throats. Additional gains can be seen by using ceramic coatings to increase heat reflection of the chambers, as well as keep the heat in the exhaust runner and out of the head casting. Lastly, the addition of different valves can offer increased valvetrain stability at the top of the RPM range.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power is enough. No need to increase. Not really.

First Viper I own (had 4 so far and driven some others of friends) which you do NOT have to modify IMHO if you are ok with the gas pedal (Mopar PCM) and sound (cat back or HF cats are a good thing with the Mopar PCM, but no more popping sound). Suspension is best also - MOTON's if money is no issue.

Perfect car. :2tu:

underpressure

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

Saw this thread and felt I might have some data to add...

We are currently working on a '08 Viper and after installing the Ballenger headers, Ballenger exhaust, and Mopar Performance PCM we picked up 20 WHP on a Dynojet dyno.

You must be registered for see images

These gains were good but not exactly the amount of power we were looking for. The decision was made to incorporate NOS as an additional power-adder knowing the motor is not forged and a built motor could be in the future :) . Since we couldn't find an "off the shelf solution". We utilized a DBW (drive by wire) window switch which needed be calibrated for a 10 cylinder firing pattern (instructions only support up to 8)and a NOS wet fogger kit. We had to fabricate a fixture for the NOS fogger and purchase an additional fogger for the second throttle body. NOS does offer a kit for a Nissan 300zx twin turbo that will work but they were currently out of stock. Additionally, we also took on the task of making a custom intake to replace the factory piece and provide us mounting point for the NOS foggers.

You must be registered for see images attach

Knowing how sensitive the MAF sensors can be. We took extra caution locating them and trying to find the correct size of the tube. This was a challenge and we did have to opt for a little smaller ID on the new intake over the factory piece. This later resulted in a CEL and subsequently a version 2 intake now in development. It seems even the smallest change on the tube increases air flow velocity and since the air flow versus throttle position are linked together for DBW the PCM reacts by taking the car into a limp mode. This issue can be immediate or take as long as a drive cycle to pop up.

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see by the dyno graph the window switch is set for 3000 RPM and cuts at 6000 RPM. We did hear about some issue of another NOS equipped car not being able to shift into another gear while the NOS was engaged without the car going into a limp mode however, we have not experienced this.

You must be registered for see images

We will try to add more data once the second intake is finished and we retune the NOS. Currently it is jetted a little fat @ 11.0 AFR. Also, we might be taking the factory PCM out of the loop and installing either Pactel or Motec solution gearing up for a forced induction build possibly.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still on the fence on the K & N Air Intake--waiting for some verification of the 18rwhp claimed gain. AT $575 or so and going "non-factory" I am not sure this is a good mod. On my Z06 K & N claimed 27rwhp. Maybe Dodge was straight with us when they indicated that the factory air intake is about as good as it gets?

Keep us posted on gains!

underpressure

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am still on the fence on the K & N Air Intake--waiting for some verification of the 18rwhp claimed gain. AT $575 or so and going "non-factory" I am not sure this is a good mod. On my Z06 K & N claimed 27rwhp. Maybe Dodge was straight with us when they indicated that the factory air intake is about as good as it gets?

Keep us posted on gains!

I would also like to see a before and after dyno chart on the K&N set up. Knowing how sensitive the MAF sensors are it seems unlikely that you could have any increase of air flow without effecting the PCM. Unless, with the power of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) you increase the size of the tube to compensate for the increased velocity. So you get more air but, at the same flow rate over the sensor. Just might have to get a kit to see what they are doing :)

Last edited:

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keep us posted on gains!

If top of the line headers and exhaust only increased hp by 20 I doubt the K&N
intake will get you 18 by its' self.

RD

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could the base run of 541 WHP included header mods? And the gain of 20 was from the PCM? 541 was kinda high for a stock '08 on a SAE corrected graph.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Headers are done by

M&M Performance (My company)
Belanger
Henn*****

I don't know of any others out there making them for the 08-09' yet. All of them have similar gain but only one has a no check engine light with stock pcm.