08 Shifting issue

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a problem yet, but I wanted to get some feed back.

I've noticed over the last week or so that when I shift from 1 to 2 to 3 that it doesn't feel smooth any longer. I am only talking about the feel of the shift itself. The car is smooth no bucking or anything, I have the RPM's up over 2.5K and all of that.

I have tried a low RPM (above the skip shift) and high RPM and each shift feels about the same.

The shifts feel like I have to hold the clutch down just a little longer than I should and the gears feel like they clunk into gear. There is no gear grinding (yet) but it feels like it could be coming. Once it's in gear there are no discernible issues and it drives just fine.

I was wondering if I should be worried and/or get the car looked at before any of the race events this summer. I would hate for it to get worse and grind up the gears at some long distant event.

Thanks

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
May not be in the transmission at all, but may be in your clutch fluid --- check and see if it is low or dark in color.

Over the years we have seen many a Viper with percieved tranny or clutch issues that only needed a change of fluid to cure what appeared to be a big concern. Obviously this is not a clear diagnosis, but one area that should be checked out.

Good luck.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse
1-800-889-1893

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all the systems on my car, the trans is not up to par with the performance potential I expect on a car of this caliber.

I can't figure it out...yesterday I drove the car and it was nearly silky smooth. Saturday the trans felt very "notchy" and just trucklike. Although the trans might be strong, it is in no way a world class shiftitng transmission you'd expect in a Viper.
Ambient temps were very similar and I never get on the car until all the fluids are up warmed up.

I have change out the fluid, just to keep it as water and air free as possible (did this at 2000 miles). I don't want to miss a shift at the dragstrip or on the track.

Lastly, you have to remember to push the clutch all the way down to shift gears, it is more important with the twin disk setup that standard clutches. If you don't go all the way with the clutch stroke, you'll be more likely to hear or feel gear grind, notchiness, etc. Some of the racers have also changed out their transmission fluid to a Redline ATF....don't know if this has helped the shifting feel or not.

Maybe one of them will post their experience with the fluid change out.

George

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have found similar issues with the 09 trans, i.e. some "notchy-ness" and some days that seem better than others.

As background info, I have about 90K miles in older Vipers now, not including the 09. Perhaps you guys have driven Vipers in the past; they shift differently.

Here's what helped me:

1 - The twin disc clutch set up and trans in the Gen IV cars doesn't work like the older ones. I've had to become much more aggressive "pushing the clutch pedal in" with this new set up. I don't want to say stomping on it, but you get the idea. I now quickly and aggressively push the pedal to the floor, then up shift. This trans likes "rev matching" on downshifts (heel and toe) and also pushing the clutch pedal in aggressively.

2 - The new transmission's shift "throws" are shorter than the previous cars, so you are out of one gear and into the next gear a bit quicker. This affects the "timing" of the shift / clutch pedal actuation. It will take some practice to get this just right, but it can be done.

3 - I did change from the factory trans fluid to Redline Racing ATF. I found that this fluid, while it may take a few minutes to warm up, helps the smoothness of the shifts, specially on the track.

Good luck,

Dan :drive:

OP
OP
T

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the description of "Saturday the trans felt very "notchy" and just truck like."

That is what I have felt the last week or so. I will check on the transmission fluids. It could be the warmer weather as brought out the issue or made it more pronounced.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV Vipers also like to have some "heat" in the motor and driveline to perform best. My car feels stronger and smoother when it has some heat (I have a 2008).

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might be a stupid comment but I've seen folks with thick carpet floor mats have shifting issues. The carpet stops the pedal just a little bit short of a full release of the clutch.

It's at least worth mentioning.....

Greg