08 Viper parts work on 03-06 Vipers?

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering if we had any confirmation on this... To my understanding the 08 viper motor is essentially the same motor as the 03-06 motor. Can us Gen III viper owners bolt on the 08 viper parts?

:2tu:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not always... u may have to strap it on sometimes versus bolt it on

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Some of the parts will be transferable, but at present most of the 08 parts are not in the MoPar catalog. Many see a demand for the new oil pan and some other items, so hang in there and eventually the parts that are adaptable will see their way to your favorite Dodge Store.:headbang:

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some of the parts will be transferable, but at present most of the 08 parts are not in the MoPar catalog. Many see a demand for the new oil pan and some other items, so hang in there and eventually the parts that are adaptable will see their way to your favorite Dodge Store.:headbang:

Sounds good... any idea how much HP we would end up at after transfering parts? :headbang:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
What?? Other than a different intake, throttle body, valves, cam, pistons, exhaust, the motor is pretty much the same. Maybe I missed something in all of the posts on the '08.

Just wondering if we had any confirmation on this... To my understanding the 08 viper motor is essentially the same motor as the 03-06 motor. Can us Gen III viper owners bolt on the 08 viper parts?

:2tu:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
you have to look at the bigger picture. while some of the parts may FIT, very few of them can fit without OTHER modifications. For example, the oiling system that we manufacture is a take-off of the 2008 platform for the 03-06 cars, but thats after it goes through our machine shop about 4 different times for various changes.

Another example would be the 08 heads. While they will bolt on, you then need the headers, intake manifold and rails to accompany them- and then comes the problem of a cable driven throttle body to fit that manifold- plus the lack of certain sensors, fittings, etc.

None of these things are DIRECT bolt ons... they are "system packages" at best and need to be configured as such. You need to see the whole picture before trying to slap anything on... not to mention the change from SAE to metric, also a complicating factor.

redlineviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The basic block design is the same. The cylinders are 1mm larger I believe. The heads and intake will bolt on to a gen 3 for sure and I have been told a gen 2. The problem lies in the drive by wire throttle bodies. Talked to one of the engineers for mopar at PRI and he said they are designing a new intake for the Gen 3 to use Gen 4 heads and exhaust and it would be sold as a kit. I would imagine that the horse power would be 20-30 hp less than the 08 with less compression etc but that is a crazy guess at best.

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine is basically the same design but many features are very different. The fasteners are now all metric. The pushrod angle has changed. The lifter bores have rotated upward with respect to the cam bore centerline to straighten out the pushrod angle. The oil pump is larger and the way the main bearings are fed is slightly different. The oil pressure relief valve is a much better design and if I remember correctly the cross-drilling of the crank is even different to better feed the rod bearings. Oil drainback from the upper end is also improved.

The engine as a whole is an upgrade from the previous generation. There are many features that just can't be incorporated into the earlier engines. The '08 engine is definitely a better piece.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4