09 ACR ride

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
So Cal Rebel,

315 x 30 x 18 R6 fronts.

GTS Dean,

It read or should have read 2mm toe out front, 2mm toe in rear, you are correct. Not sure how I screwed that up.

dtenney,

Never seen KW's on a comp coupe. Must be a sponsorship thing.

JonB,

The tape was still on the shocks when I received the 09 ACR. All shocks were set differently, no positions on any shock (rebound or compression) were full soft.

Not sure why.

On the street ride vs track ride, I ran Moton Motor Sport shocks on my 2001 GTS ACR for about a year and a half, 800 front, 1100 rear Eibachs. The car handled remarkably well on the track and acceptable on the street - the GTS was never bouncy, even on rough roads. The Motons always controlled these heavy springs, unlike the KW's on the 09 ACR.

I still have these Moton Motorsport shocks if anyone is looking for a set for their GTS.

Dan

Dr. Sandman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '09 ACR shock settings were full soft all the way around.Guess I got lucky.

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The "complaint" of the 08-09 ACR bumpiness is due almost completely to the stiff rear springs.
These springs are needed to handle the Aero-compression at track speeds. I am surprised to hear that any OE shocks came set to full-hard... That is NOT the plan..... Full-Soft is the plan.....

So, at street-speeds the ride will indeed be bumpy, even if you set the KWs at full soft.

If you cannot tolerate it, and DONT plan to drive above ~120mph, you COULD replace the rear springs simply and cheaply. This would provide immediate relief, but could become skittish above 120 or so. Id say "Deal With It" ............

I have previously owned 5 Vipers and am seriously considering an '09 ACR, but do not plan to track the car. I absolutetly love the aggressive look of the ACR compared to the Coupe (and that includes a Coupe w/Aero Pkg). Since this will be a street car, would it help the ride quality by taking off the Pilot Cups and replacing them with PS2's? And if so, would you stay with the ACR's stock front tire size(295/30ZR18) or go with the Coupe's stock front tire size (275/35ZR18)? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
DRBSRT,

If I were planning to run my 09 ACR on the street only, I'd run the PS2's as you suggest with OE SRT-10 sizes. You can likely trade your "used" Cups for a set of OE PS2's and make a couple bucks. Call JonB.

I'd also remove the rear springs (1080 lbs) and install a set of 860 lb, 60 mm rear springs (I have a new set of two springs that I'll never use if you are interested). Spring changes are pretty simple on the ACR.

This will give you a pretty comfortable street ride and you could Auto X or track the car at lower speeds if you wanted to.

You should also be OK at speed as long as you don't lower the car.

FYI, 500 lb front / 800 lb rear springs are a pretty good street / track combo used by many SRT-10 owners. Your new set up would be only slightly stiffer and you'd have adjustable shocks to compensate for this.

Dan

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have previously owned 5 Vipers and am seriously considering an '09 ACR, but do not plan to track the car. I absolutetly love the aggressive look of the ACR compared to the Coupe (and that includes a Coupe w/Aero Pkg). Since this will be a street car, would it help the ride quality by taking off the Pilot Cups and replacing them with PS2's? And if so, would you stay with the ACR's stock front tire size(295/30ZR18) or go with the Coupe's stock front tire size (275/35ZR18)? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

David, what ya getting? Come on let that cat out of the bag!

OP
OP
A

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine were full soft front and back . I set a click on rebound and one on compression & the ride did improve a bit .

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please go to the track with the ACR. It's inhumane to have a thoroughbred like the ACR shackled on the street. I'm sure that some well meaning folks from the government will come take your ACR away - and they should. It's akin to having a race horse and have him giving rides at the mall all day. It's just not right.

The track is an off leash area for ACR's. Go there. Your car NEEDS it.

Greg

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Viper X Dan is corrcet on both points:

Dismount your CUPS when new-as-possible, ie at delivery? Go with same-size PS2. Tires at 29 PSI.
Keep the car this way thru break-in process, and til you are driving WOT a bit. Learn the car.

THEN: If you dont like the stiffness, [or your lady-riders dont like the "jiggling" induced by the stock springs,] go with 800-900s and keep it under 135 mph !!!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might add that when I found out mine were set wrong I did some digging and learned that the suspension pieces come preset with the tape already on them to CAAP so it's NOT our friends at CAAP that are messing it up, in fact they probably notice it and are rendered helpless as they can't break the tape.

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper X Dan is corrcet on both points:

Dismount your CUPS when new-as-possible, ie at delivery? Go with same-size PS2. Tires at 29 PSI.
Keep the car this way thru break-in process, and til you are driving WOT a bit. Learn the car.

THEN: If you dont like the stiffness, [or your lady-riders dont like the "jiggling" induced by the stock springs,] go with 800-900s and keep it under 135 mph !!!

Jon B and Viper X - Thank you for your words of wisdom!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery