$10.00 for a ride...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which I of course turned down. Stopped by the local donut shop for some breakfast for the kiddies this morning (yep, we believe in only the finest meals for our children). A table of guys was sitting there and going nuts over the Viper when I pulled in. "Hey, I will pay you $10.00 for a ride" one of them says as I walk in. I give him a smirk and reply "I can get more than that." They laugh and I go make my donut purchase. As I am walking out, I turn to them and said, "Okay, which one of you wants to go first?" The look on their faces was PRICELESS - like a deer in headlights. They knock over a chair scrambling to get out.

So, I gave each of them (there were four) a ride around the block with a quick demo of the power (I can almost get it sideways shifting to second on a straightaway) and then the brakes - a couple acknowledged it was a Sunday by loudly proclaiming "Jesus Christ!" as they got some negative G's. ;) By the time I was done there were two other people standing outside asking if they could get a ride too. No problem. And all at no charge, of course. Hopefully I brightened their day!

Chris

qburge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling that a ride with you would pretty be much a
priceless experience anyway just like all the cool photographs
you post are. Next time make them pledge to leave at least that
much in the plate the next time they stop at a church and you'll
help a bunch of folks out. I think you and the folks of the KC area
Viper club are probably the heart and soul of what a Viper Club
chapter should be and I look forward to the photos of the many
activities you guys take part in.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excuse the vocab - but "DUDE!!!!!! That was AWESOME!!!"

You'll never know what that mean't to those guys. Good one mate - I want to follow your example when I get mine!

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
Good thing I did NOT have a cup of coffe while reading...
Priceless is right!
LMAO

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it was a spiritual experience! :D

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story and one hell of a guy!! I took the neighbor kid (18yr) for a ride as a thank you for mowing my yard (and to give him $100, he mowed 4 acres). He wouldn't take my money, said "the ride in this car is more than I could ever hope for!". He wants to mow again but I hate to take advantage of the poor kid.....

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, you rule. I wish that someone here with a viper would do that...then again, I've never asked :laugh:

Then again, I did get a ride in a Diablo :D

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Chris, great story, and you tell it so well.
I followed a beautiful '60 Vette into a church parking lot yesterday
around 7pm, just wanted to say hi, great car. As I was doing that,
a dozen or so young men were standing nearby taking this in. One came up
and asked about the car, so I took him for a short ride around a few blocks
and back in time for his church service. He was almost speechless, and
his friends were waiting for him.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome story, but doesn't your SRT 'heat soak' with all the short rides? I fear doing this as my side sills get untouchable and the dead pedal bracket will hurt you! It should have a warning label on it!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the Viper out to see this awesome Camaro (2002 with a Corvette C5R 427) on Wednesday and got another "ride" story: Late evening and I am getting close to home. A very nice Neon with body kit, lowered, and Viper stripes pulled up next to me. He had the "shoe polish" numbers on the windows (drag racing) and I asked what it turns. "Low 13's with a shot of nitrous." We waved and he was off. Three lights later he is waiting for me. "Any way I could get a quick ride?" "Sure thing, but it will have to be fast."

And fast it was. He had never been in a Viper before, and he was in heaven. Always happy to entertain a fellow car enthusiast!

Chris

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Party crasher....

1) You "get on it" go sidways, lose control of the car and crash injuring the passenger. The passenger sues you for everything you have. The lawyer's exact words are "The driver wasn't obeying traffic laws and was indangering the life of my client by testing the limits of his vehicle" The jury awards 1.4m because he 's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

2) You take off only to have someone else lose control of their car and crash into you. The passender is injured. You now have a garnish on your paycheck to pay for his medical bills for the rest of their life...

I can go on and on and on... Guys (and gals), although these could never happen, there is the slightest possibility they can... think twice before you do something like this....

Finally... did you know... if you give the keys to ANYONE to drive your car... YOU and your insurance company are 100% liable.. that's right boys and girls... Mr. bestfriend totals your car... YOU pay for it to get fixed... he walks away....

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points all. However, I eat red meat (bad), put "butter" on my popcorn at movies (bad), and run the risk every single day that I may hit someone with ANY of my cars and injure or kill them - or me. Life is very full of risks and this one seems so incredibly minimal (no traffic, goose it ONLY when the wheels are perfectly straight, and NEVER over the speed limit - much), that I have a very difficult time telling someone "Sorry, I would love to give you a ride but my attorneys and insurance agent discourage it."

I bought this Viper with the intent to SHARE it with folks as much as possible (at no charge to them). Will I hand over the keys to someone that I don't have 100% confidence in? Not a chance in the world. So far this car has only been driven by other Viper owners and one Z06 owner (a neighbor). I was either in the car or right behind them in THEIR Viper when they were driving it. If I ever even contemplated letting a stranger drive it, I would be in the rental business - like you. :laugh:

Chris

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what wrong with the world....too many people with the 'knowledge' that a settlement check (a fall at work, or whiplash from the torque of a Viper) is just ready to pop into the mailbox.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the same thing. If I see a kid that wants a ride I will gladly give them one. I mean it is a young kid, how can ANYONE say no. They are the future Viper owners of America. LOL! :)

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is nothing more enjoyable then to watch a youngster smile when cruising with the top down in the viper. I too give rides to kids and others who are interested in the car - there are only 3-4 SRTs in Santa Barbara, the car gets plenty of attention when I go for a drive.

My son and I went cruising one afternoon, weather was amazing, top down, my son (3 yrs old) had his A-10 hat on backwards, sun glasses and a big smile. We were at a stop light, two young guys pulled up in a really nice maxima, starred at the car and said "that is one lucky kid" :laugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4