11.08 @ 132.7 in the ACR and run against a GT-R

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not seen any proof on this forum that different gears from stock make the viper any faster at the strip..
Are you referring to the rear gear swap? or 5th and 6th gear change?
Cuz the reason for 5th and 6th gear change is for 140+ run and
this won't make a difference at the 1/4 strip since the car will
pass the 1/4 mark in 3rd or 4th gear.

Last edited:

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a whole piece done a few years back by an aerospace engineer at Boeing, he took the torque curves, gear ratios and converted it to thrust. His initial comparisons were based on perfect traction and showed that changing gear ratios made a huge difference until you were topped out just before the end of the 1/4 mile. After taking into affect that it is not possible to put down 5000+ pounds of thrust (torque multiplied by gearing less drive-line losses). If memory serves correct it concluded that 3.73s were the best choice for drag tires but 3.55s were best for normal tires. I'll look and see if I can find the old data...

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't the 5th and 6th gear you have to change through the tranny? How is this done is it easy? How much is this mod?
I'm having the 5th and 6th gear swap through DC performance and you should
talk to Dan for the price of gear swap. I can't wait to feel the difference in up top...

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you referring to the rear gear change? or 5th and 6th gear swap?
Cuz the reason for 5th and 6th gear swap is for 140+ run and
this swap won't make a difference in 1/4 strip since the car will
pass the 1/4 mark in 3rd or 4th gear.
[EDIT] DANG! DID NOT PAY ATTENTION YOU WERE RESPONDING TO SOMEONE ELSE [EDIT] Rear end gearing. 5th and 6th have nothing to do with quarter mile drags. Now if you are talking about a standing mile, then the shorter 5th and 6th ratios would be HUGE given the ridiculous gearing our cars come with.

Last edited:

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper k recently made this post over on the Gen II board:

Of course when you are talking about very fast cars a need to shift from 4th to 5th before the quarter mile would change the equation, but assuming the run could be done in 4th it does not make any sense shorter gearing would not help.

If this is true i would do the upgrade asap! any time slips to prove it??Im also just talking about the rear gears.now the different trans gears would be something we would all like to know if it helps :eater:

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the different tranny gearing for 5th and 6th will not help in the quarter mile as your not in 5th and 6th gears at all.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the different tranny gearing for 5th and 6th will not help in the quarter mile as your not in 5th and 6th gears at all.
EXACTLY THESE THREADS ARE JUST TOO FUNNY as so many people BENCH RACE THESE CARS ON DYNOS ,INTERNET ECT if they ever got out to the track they would realize 3.07 stock rear 5 AND 6 are not used at the drag STRIP.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXACTLY THESE THREADS ARE JUST TOO FUNNY as so many people BENCH RACE THESE CARS ON DYNOS ,INTERNET ECT if they ever got out to the track they would realize 3.07 stock rear 5 AND 6 are not used at the drag STRIP.
We said that. Quite a few times actually.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still can't bring myself to by a foreign car.
That's a shame! I'm a Viper lover, like many on this forum, however I wouldn't pass up on a foreign vehicle that I had an interest in just because it wasn't American made. Just to be clear, I'm an America lover too, :usa::2tu:!
Great video footage as well! At those trap speeds, are you losing some time from the front splitter?

Last edited: