1100HP HEFFNER PERFORMANCE SRT10 EXPORT

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The silver SRT10 finally landed in New Zealand!

Owned by VCA member Ken Vanwingerden of New Zealand (formerly of KY, USA) - this car has undergone extensive modifications at Heffner Performance and is now terrorizing slower moving traffic, local residents, and roadside rodents along a certain highway in...

any cops reading this?

lol - just kidding

really.... car is being very responsibily driven and bringing much enjoyment and excitement to Ken first and foremost - but also a selection of luckly passengers. Most of whom did not leave a brown stain on the seat, but all of which exclaimed something to the effect - "OMG!!" when the hammer was even mildly applied... power was described as "ridiculous" - which translates as about just right.

The car sports too many upgrades to list but here is a teaser and if Ken wants to chime in and ad a few more he can...

Heffner Performance Twin Turbo package plus
Ported heads
TD Roller Rockers
Torquemonster Piston package (a TM only design that offers significant improvement over std racing or street 9:1 forged pistons)

G-Force T56 trans like Chads car
Quaife rear end with stock 3.07 gears
Mark Williams custom half shafts

Moton Shocks all round

Carbon Fiber rear fold down cover

HRE Wheels

The car dynoed at 950rwhp and well over 1000rwtq at just 14psi (on good gas) - which for a stock cam and engine size is a great result.

The real advantage of the TM piston deal is the extra resistence to detonation and it's greater combustion efficiency. This was noticed by a good buddy Ray who drove Kens SRT10 TT back to back with his 2002 RT/10 and found that the TT car was more responsive than his stock Viper OFF-BOOST!

On boost - all TT Vipers will be cripser and obviously more powerful than any stock Viper... but not off boost.

Matching or exceeding stock crispness/response under vacuum conditions is normally not possible because the TT cars drop compression to 9:1 or lower and the extra plumbing in the intake tract does slow response etc - tho being such a big engine few notice the difference.

We'd like to run some highway mileage figures and even without additional fine tuning are hoping for some good results from a motor than can make up to 1100hp at the crank on 14psi boost.

Great mileage will reveal the total efficiency of the package, and with some final tweaks we believe 30mpg will be possible - making a world first! A 500 cubic inch car that can both crack 1000hp and return 30mpg!! That excites me more than a race engine making a lot more power because power is easy to make - just make an engine able to burn more fuel - but real world efficiency is where it is at.

The difference between stock and twin turbo on the street - even at the lower street settings was described as "chalk and cheese". Imagine being absolutely awed with the power then driving home in your stock Viper feeling like it only made around 200hp by comparison to what you just experienced.

Even on the lower street setting - Ken found that by nailing it hard in 3rd gear at 85mph he got wheelspin.... yeeha!

The funniest thing about this project is that it started life as a intention to make the car QUIETER. Ken had found the SRT10 could use some more power so did the usual thing - heads, cam and headers.

In its first upgrade Heffner dynoed the car up at 540rwhp, and with the 3.55 gears it went hard. But Ken soon found the hot rod noise and bellowing that frightened old ladies and scared the crap out of small spiders got too much - and especially a bit old on long trips, so he brought the car back to Heffners hoping to find a better muffler system. Of course quiter mufflers tend to also muffle power as well.

Jason casually mentioned that his new twin turbo system was a lot quieter than what he had - hence the TT project began.

Congrats to Ken for what must be the worlds most expensive muffler :D who else has a muffler that makes an extra 410rwhp over a hot rod package? :D

Enough words - here is the beast with some more shots of it in the gallery under my username....

4868kens_TT_8-med.JPG

4868kens_TT_5.JPG

4868kens_TT_3.JPG

4868Kens_TT_1.JPG

SRTdownunder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Barry for posting the Pics and the nice write up for Heffners Car. Both Barry and Jason were extremely helpful in getting this car to this stage. Needless to say the car has got more than these Kiwi roads can handle but it sure is fun putting them to the test. Thanks again Barry for all your help over this project and the input that was given from the beginning. Also Jason thanks for all your ADDITIONAL work on this project which was much appreciated, and I am sure you know my next car will be coming to you.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the time you floor it you're out of useful road aren't you down there? Don't you have like 5 miles of road ? ;)

G

p..s
Damn nice car mate!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ken,

Congrats on getting the Silver Bullet, as the long wait was definitely worth it. I do hope you don't have any problem in your new Country , as I know New Zealand banned all Nuclear Power on or near their shores, and I am afraid the Heffner TT could power the South Island, ha,ha! :2tu:

SRTdownunder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
G. - Actually we have 8K of road down here but all the Hobitans keep getting in the way.

Bill - your right it was worth the wait but next time Jason said he was going to do it TWICE as fast.

vd. - engine looks like any other one of Heffner's jobs. If you need a pic I can email one to you.

Stricky, Sween - thanks for the kudos

BTW - The carbon fibre tonneau cover is sweet and would recommend it to anyone with a SRT - the new version allows you to stow it in the trunk when not in use.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom 500 in NZ is leaving reakons the cops will force you off the road, he got done 3 times within a year from 1 mile downwards using radar fitted to a variety of unmarked cars from old trucks to new EVO's and Skylines.

Once the cops know where the 'hot cars' are they just sit and wait.

200 dollars a ticket and you can not talk your way out of any.

Brilliant looking car hope you enjoy but watch your back and your front.

OP
OP
T

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just get a new Valentine One and a good lawyer. The Prime Minister of the country recently got caught riding in a convoy at up to 115mph on the way to a rugby game with impunity. The charged drivers mostly got off, one didn't and filed an appeal. Say nothing and get a good lawyer is key, the moment you say anything you are stuffed. Talking about the weather is probably ok... lol

Cop "I clocked you at 160kph!"

Driver "No way - I never drive that slow, must have been a corner! You should have seen me back on that last straight - laid rubber at 140kph, chirped it into 4th wam into 5th and had up to 300k before the S bend - you know the one with the 3 road side crosses on it - yeah - had it sideways around there - it was awesome, we powerslid out then slowed for the tight right hander - man that was the bomb! Want a donut?"

SRTdownunder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have to convert to right hand drive because it was for personal use and as a new resident from the states I was allowed one vehicle without changing to right hand drive. However, I do have another red SRT down here and it was just completed to right hand drive. We will post some pictures in the next few weeks showing this conversion. This was long drawn out procedure but the results are quite awesome.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome...
Heffner is the Top Dog when it comes to making Vipers fly...
Congratulations... :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

SRTdownunder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SlyvanSRT - I agree a rollbar would be helpful and safer!

George Murray - thanks for the comments but only one difference I am an American :usa:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc