110V welders any good?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to have a big Lincoln SP250 welder which could do just about anything. Back then I heard a lot of negative reports about your typical 'home welder'.

Have things changed? Seems like I remember being told ya gotta go 220V for the ***********. Can it be done well with a 110V buzz box?

Gas mix, or is shielded wire doable?

What's the best low priced welder for welding exhaust pipe? I've got 220V in the garage so I can go that route too.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
110 is fine. I have a lincoln and it works great. I use gas though. I think I will get a 220 eventually because I want to do thicker stuff...

Mopar-man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a Miller 135 mig welder & have been using it for years, you can weld just about anything on a car with it.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to be in the welding supply business for over 20 years and have been factory trained by Miller, Lincoln, Hobart and others to mention a few, for welding and cutting.

The 110 volt mig machines are good for what they are designed for and should not be expected to be used with anything more than 3/16" thick. Make sure if you get one it has reverse polarity capabilities, then you can use solid wire with gas. My preference is to use a 70S-6 wire which has silicon deoxidizers for a cleaner weld. It can also be used with straight CO2 which is cheaper than a mix, however; CO2 will ********* better. If you are going to use a mix, use 75% argon and 25% CO2 for most applications unless you are going in spray transfer mode which will require at least 90% argon and a bigger machine machine. Last note, be sure whatever you buy, you can get consumables such as tips, nozzles, wire, parts and service.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second what Mopar488 said. I will also add that unless youv'e got a smaller piece of properly prepped steel, 3/16" is too thick for gas. Fluxcore wire (no gas bottle) is a better choice at this thickness. What many hobbyists do not realize is that your power source is equally important for these machines to operate at their potential. Most of the higher end machines will require a true 20 Amp 120V supply. Older homes with inadequate wiring and receptacles will produce very poor results.

I also recommend you buy your machine from a welding supply, rather than a Home Depot type center. You will get much better service, a wide range of selection, and most importantly...knowledge. I've got a Hobart Handler 120, it's great machine that's no longer made. If I'm not mistaken, Miller bought Hobart and stopped making the better units. The drive mechanism is the most important part of these machines. Take a good look at what's available now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine