1500hp Gen IV Engine

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was at my shop the other day, and saw this fully built Gen IV motor. I figured you guys would enjoy the pics:

You must be registered for see images

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here's another one... with a lot that pictures dont show, like Piston Cooling Jets ;)

Mock Up, actually what Nader's engine was based on visually:

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont ;)

Admittedly, this wiring harness was an unbelievable undertaking- fully optioned and complete with AUX connections for anything else I might ever want to run on the car, and set up to be completely OBD compatible, down to dual ECU fuel control to pass all system monitors.

It is actually just about completed, but I havent snapped newer pictures yet.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, what a project. Pardon my ignorance Dan, what are you doing exactly? Just using a Gen IV block and putting all new internals and controls on the motor? How do you double the power doing that?

OP
OP
H

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great Dan!

I remember seeing those pics on a different forum about a year ago when I was browsing around.

Were you guys able to finish up the project?

It would be awesome to see a dyno graph, I would love to see what kind of power it made!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, what a project. Pardon my ignorance Dan, what are you doing exactly? Just using a Gen IV block and putting all new internals and controls on the motor? How do you double the power doing that?

This car is the VS-1500TTvc package [1500 Horsepower Twin Turbo Variable Cam]

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks great Dan!

I remember seeing those pics on a different forum about a year ago when I was browsing around.

Were you guys able to finish up the project?

It would be awesome to see a dyno graph, I would love to see what kind of power it made!

Thanks!

This car is a bit of a back-burner project, since it is my personal car, and I am funding this one, not a customer. I haven't had nearly enough time to work on it lately, just too much going on all at once. The engine was up and running about 6 months ago on the prototype wiring harness, just to make sure everything performed as I wanted it to, but it was then decided to produce a full-on from scratch MIL-Spec harness, and integrate all types of AUX extras as well as OBD-2 compliance, so that I can use this car to aid in the development of other products directly in the future. For example, this car would have the ability to directly log the resulting affects of aerodynamic changes, suspension and brake changes, etc etc. I just have to attach the correct jumper harness for the items to be tested.

The Twin Turbo system is another process altogether on this one. I scrapped the original direction of just doing "status quo with a twist", and so the design is all-new, and uses a system layout a good bit different than anyone else typically uses. This thing kills me on time... but I have so many other things to do I haven't noticed its missing. Many of the parts designed for this car have already found their way into other builds, which is part of the reason I do these crazy things.

Last edited:

Kill-Zone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

What is the most a person can expect out of a Gen 4 block power wise?

I have heard they are weaker than a Gen 3 block and the most I have seen a Gen 3 turbo car make with a top of the line (PROLINE) engine build is around 1600 HP.

What is it that makes the Gen 4 block weaker?

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

I have heard they are weaker than a Gen 3 block and the most I have seen a Gen 3 turbo car make with a top of the line (PROLINE) engine build is around 1600 HP.

my gen 3 made 1,722 at the wheels on 22 psi, more left in it. this was last week

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan,

Hello,

Your question is a tad loaded; you can extract as much power from a Gen-4 engine as any other Viper engine [and then some], provided it is built correctly. For example, a high-revving re-studded, de-stroked, heavy-wall, billet crank, dry sumped Gen-4 should have no problem getting up into the 2000+ range if you really wanted to build such an engine. As pointed out above, the Gen-3's also have no problem getting into this range on a good build.

The issue of Gen-4 "weakness" is not an issue of structural problems- quite the contrary, they have thicker sleeves, stronger caps and bulkheads, thicker deck and far superior cooling layout even compared to Gen-3. The issue of "weakness" stems from supplied hardware size and types, and the rod/piston combination they have. The hardware is the primary issue on larger builds, as the Gen-4's use substantially smaller hardware than any other generation. These should be changed out to a larger size when building a Gen-4 engine. There are different ways of accomplishing this, it all depends what investments a given builder has made towards the problem. We have oversize custom studs made for us specifically for this issue. There is however a side advantage: due to the sizes used from the factory, it requires a jump to a 9/16" stud on the Mains at a minimum [though we do main & head in 9/16", some do 1/2" on the heads], which results in a stronger bottom end than even the studded Gen-1/2/3 cars from a hardware standpoint. The Gen-2/3 cars would be sketchy at best trying to use a 9/16", as they are too close in size OEM [1/2"] and the threads would not be complete- and a jump to 5/8 would very likely not fit in the application at all without major clearancing all over the place [and may be at risk for punch-through on some oddball castings], as the 9/16" hardware is a tight fit already.

The pistons have also proven to be a bit more sensitive to damage than the Gen-1/2/3 engines, but on larger builds, this is of course a non-issue.

In short, the Gen-4 engines require additional money to be spent to build them correctly, but they also have the most to offer when built right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang