$1537 repair and only 17K miles on my '94

Stupid Weasel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1537 repair and only 17K miles on my \'94

Apparently my caliper locked up on my right rear wheel. Before I could hear the horrible metallic grinding noise (over my Borla), the brakes were toasted and dug a 1/8" groove into my rotor.

Result? $434 caliper - $140 rotor - $140 - brake pad

I've only had the Viper for 3 months, and I was prepared to pull out some Ben Franklins for repairs...but here's what bothered me.

I got charged $80 in freight charges for the "special order" parts.
It's not enough the car was almost $60K brand new, and we have to pay
for the actual part. Now Dodge is charging us for shipping? :mad:

Does any of this sound right? :confused:

Also, has anyone had a caliper lock up like this? Dodge couldn't tell me the reason why this happened.

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: $1537 repair and only 17K miles on my \'94

The labor for this seems a bit high, you're getting charged, what, $900 or so for labor? Maybe 10 hours? In my garage I can get a wheel, rotor, and caliper off of the car in less than an hour, and figure an hour for everything back on and bleeding the brake line. The parts cost doesn't seem out of line, I pay a bit more for Stoptech rotors and a bit less for EBC pads. $450 for a caliper is not unusual, if it's new. The special charge for shipping seems out of line, unless you told them you needed it there next day. If this is a dealership and they're getting the parts from Dodge, they should have been able to get them delivered on their regular truck with no shipping cost.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey STUPID :)

You didn't indicate where and how this happened. Was this trackside support or
local dealer performing service. Was the brakes, rotors stock????

If Stock, my quesstimate from dealer
Stock Caliper $250
Rotor 125
Pads 100
Labor 3hrs 225
Fluid 12
Bleed brakes incl.
TOTAL $712

Curious what Chuck Tator or Jon B might say?
Did you get an itemized invoice???

My .02
Fast Eddie

OP
OP
S

Stupid Weasel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have an invoice. This work was done at Jim Click Dodge in Tucson. The only location in Tucson with a certified Viper tech (so I heard). Anypoop...I was charged $700 in labor alone ($100/hr). I left my Viper in his shop 8 days so they could get the parts in. I still can't believe they charged me for shipping.

I questioned him about the charge and his reply was that everyone gets charged shipping costs for special parts. When he said "everyone" I'm assuming he means all Dodge owners -- Darts and Caravans alike. I wasn't very happy, but I didn't feel like havin' a debate in my Air Force uniform (lunch-time pick-up). :usa:

I just bought the Viper l,500 miles ago. I believe everything is stock, except for the right rear axle, which coincidentally is the same wheel.

The previous owner told me the axle was replaced before I bought it, and Jim Click Dodge told me again about the axle after they completed a FULL inspection a month ago...and blessed the Viper with a clean...no...PERFECT bill of health.

Anyway...as a new Viper owner, I really don't know who to trust and where I can go for service. :confused:

I certainly appreciate all advice/wisdom.

By the way - I do not race.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the dealer you took it to bent you over good. This board has lots of great info. You need to find a viper friendly dealer if you are going to have them do the work for you.
contact the local club in your area, they will point you in the right direction and help you out also. I have never heard of paying the shipping costs for routine maint. These are not special order parts.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You might not race, but that Viper may have a few track outings in it's past?

I know I had horrible brake problems until I stated rebuilding the calipers, and cleaning the pistons before every track outing. No problems since. And as someone who knows nothing about cars I can tell you that even I managed to learn to do this by myself!

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

700 clams in labour...THats what would question. If you paid list price for the parts, then thats OK. I agree that the extra charge
for shipping seems out of line...I would seriously want to review the $700 labour charge...

Tomer

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OMG

$700 labour ask them if they changed the cam while doing the rear brakes. Most labour I could see is

Rear brake labour 1 hr
re and re calipers .8 to 1.2 hr
bleeding is included in .8 to 1.2

$100 per hour I believe going to dentist is cheaper and his root canal would probably hurt less.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

call the service manager, & if no satisfaction call dodge, this is BS.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Right from "the book"...

Rear Caliper.............$306.57
Rear Rotor................$82.40
Rear Pads................ $149.60....hopefully they put a new one on each side?!? Can't see just changing one pad.

$538.57 in parts........Roughly what I'd expect to pay from Chuck Tator)

Assuming the $80 shipping (No comment)

R&R Both Rotors = 1.0 hours
R&R Both Calipers = 0.5 hours
R&R Both Pads = 0.5 with calipers removed
Bleed Brake System = 0.6
Turn the PASSENGER REAR good rotor = 0.5

Totals: $618.57 with shipping for parts...3.1 hours labor, say even 3.5 hours labor...$350

GRAND TOTAL WITH REAR BRAKES FULLY SERVICED: $968.57

I'd say the got ya for $568 in viper tax...

DID THEY EVEN TOUCH THE PASSENGER REAR????

Here's my $0.02

Service Manual = $60
Parts = $618.57
Doing the job yourself and knowing it was done right: PRICELESS!

Do your own brakes!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

I'd have to agree with Gerald, there is nothing better than doing it yourself, if possible.

Jim Click has a partnership with the Tuttle Group out here in So Cal. I have bought a few cars from them. 1999 Mustang Cobra, 2001 Viper GTS, and a Toyota MR2 a few years ago. They seem very forthright, and have never tried to shaft me. (yet)

Tuttle-Click dealerships collectively move like a gazillion cars a year, and I'm sure they value their interstate reputation. In these days of internet news information transfer, they certainly can value the effect public opinion could have on their dealerships.

Why don't you drop Jim Click a line? I'm sure he will review this situation, and make corrections if necessary. (wink, wink, nudge nudge)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1990 Eagle Premier loaded rear caliper is $119, get $50 back for the core, net cost is $69 at RockAuto.com. Look familiar?

You must be registered for see images

(Thanks to JonB for knowing where pieces and parts of the Viper came from.)

The rear caliper rebuild instructions aren't in the Viper service manual. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

figure $200/hr min. for a dentist, and yes, I would love to get that service manager in one of MY chairs. :cool:

OP
OP
S

Stupid Weasel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Aren't there any Tucson, AZ Viper owners out there?

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not the kind of guy that
takes this kind of crap. Either way I would've investigated
the matter further. You guys just told me what I wanted to
hear...and I APPRECIATE that!

Also, does anyone know how to drop ol' Jim Click a line?

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Gerald.

When you said right from the book, what book were you talking about???
I have the service manual for my 2000 Viper and I haven't found cost and labor times in it. Some of that info would be very helpful.

Fast Eddie

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Gerald.

When you said right from the book, what book were you talking about???
I have the service manual for my 2000 Viper and I haven't found cost and labor times in it. Some of that info would be very helpful.

Fast Eddie

<font color="blue">Parts Manual w/Allowed Labor Times</font> ...This is probably a copy, but a good reference nevertheless...Gives the list price of most of our OEM parts...and labor hours...very detailed...haven't found much it didn't cover...

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeff errr...Stupid

Give me a call. You have my number/email.

Ron

EDIT:

Infact Jeff, you live two miles from me! Why did'nt you get ahold of me before going to Click. I would have given you the scoop about the Old Pueblo's tech situation (at least from my perspective). Let me put it this way. I go to Phoenix :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960