17" to 18" wheels

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
17\" to 18\" wheels

I have a 1996 GTS coupe and would like to get Forgeline 18" wheels all around. Will going to a bigger size wheel affect my speedometer, etc. accuracy? Do I have to reprogram the computer?
Also, besides looks, any advantages going to 18" wheels?
Thanks!

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 17\" to 18\" wheels

I am also switching from 17's to 18's. I have heard that the switch does not affect the speedometer, as the size of the wheel is compensated for by the low profile tires. I have never heard of reprogramming the comp because of tire size.

Tim

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamie Parker96GTS:
I have a 1996 GTS coupe and would like to get Forgeline 18" wheels all around. Will going to a bigger size wheel affect my speedometer, etc. accuracy? Do I have to reprogram the computer?
Also, besides looks, any advantages going to 18" wheels?
Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jamie,
check the dimensions of the tires in question. Circumference, also known as rollout is the number that you seek. it is equal to cutting the tire and laying it out flat along the tread. should be around 90" or so(im guessing). Rollout differences of less than .5" should not vary your speedometer reading enough to notice.

OP
OP
V

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks all for the response. I just think the 18" look more aggressive opposed to the 17".

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

18" work well on the front because of better turn in response and 17" work well on the back because of the wider slip angle you have to work with on power down corner exit. I'm getting some 18" fronts from John "The Wheel Guy" Purner so I can fit 14" front rotors on my car.