John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put off buying them too long, I guess. In spite of JonB warning that they were about gone. My rears have maybe 2k miles left on them and my fronts are still 75%. Is the only choice now to go with pilot Sports all around or does anyone have 2 rears they would like to sell? Anybody mix and match Sports and MXX3?

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy th esports, they blow away the old style tires in every way. well worth the $$, even picked up a .10 in the 1/4 mile!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pilot Sports are much harder rubber -- tread wear rating of 220 vs. 140 for MXX3's (working from memory here -- numbers may be slightly off, but you get the point). Michelin compensated for the harder rubber on the Pilots in part by softening the side wall. So, yes, the Pilots may hook up as well as (or perhaps better than) MXX3's, but at the expense of lateral performance.

Anyone notice how the original GTS reviews showed 1.00+ g's on the skid pad, whereas the recent reviews show <1g, even for the ACR? That's because of the softer sidewall on the Pilot Sports.

Now if you don't care about performance in the corners, then go for the Pilot Sports. If you are interested in a set of 335 MXX3's, I have some in my garage. Make me an offer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang