1992-96 RT Hoodpads?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, even after comparing them from my 2000 GTS to my '96 RT....and thinking the hood pads are the same...they're not. Even the currently available pad says it fits 1992-2002 which is #048480204AC. According to my old parts book, # 5245781 is supposed to be the correct part...but supercedes to the 04848 number.

I tried to install this onto my '96 RT, and on the passenger side towards the back edge of the hood...the new pad is much deeper and doesn't fit. (I did see a previous post where someone had modified the pad.)

Does anyone have an insight as to a pad that fits a smoothie hood?

EDIT...I talked with Chuck Tator, who explained that I need to pull the hood...fit the hood pad...then drill a couple new holes for the clips. If anyone has tips on which holes were off, etc...before I get started...it'd be a help. Thanks

Last edited:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All the holes are off because the GEN1 hood had a small little silver square pad, not the nice big pad on the GEN2.

Much

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Matt

I made this mod 3 weeks ago to my 94`
And yes ,you have to drill about 14 - 15 holes and cut a little piece off on the passenger side towards the back edge of the hood.
I can send you some pics if you want

Mike

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys...

The ********* molded pads started mid 1995...and my '96 came with one that I wanted to replace. They looked very similar...but not 100% (Earlier cars did have the big foil patch)

Much...I'd be glad to see pics and will contact via PM.

According to Chuck...there's only a few holes that won't line up once the later pad is fitted.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Matt, I just installed a hood pad on my 94. I had to modify the uper right side of the pad to make it fit. Most people don't even notice it if I don't tell them. My hood didn't have any holes, so I had to drill out all of them.

IMG_0349.JPG

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks sfm79. I'm not sure what to do. When I stack the new number pad and my original 1996 RT pad...all the holes match...but obviously some sort of trimming or drilling will be needed to make this slightly different design pad fit. There are indentations and raised areas not on the original.

Id be thrilled to find an earlier pad for my RT...but with Chrysler only now selling the one unit..I'd have to find one in NOS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96