1993 RT/10, Is it worth it??

jamie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 93' RT/10 at a local dealer here in Minneapolis, No mod's, 5000 miles, no hard top only the soft top, there are a few scratches under the front facia. Looks like it's brand new. The dealer wants $45,000.00 for it but I think I could get it at 40,000.00, does that sound like a good deal?

Thanks
Jamie

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen others post that an older car with very low miles may not be as good as it seems.

If a car was not run up to operating temperatures every few months condensation can rust the internals of the engine. I have also heard that just running a car inside a heated garage does not qualify as getting the car up to running temps.

Just a thought, not sure it is true or not.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie- I would not pay $45,000 for it. On the early cars many people bought them as a collector item. Hoping to get a nice ride every now and then. Years later cash out and get there investment back. So $40,000 maybe. But consider the larger picture if you will. Find out what the interest payments are for used car loans. Then check the rates offered for (dare I say) a new car, maybe a left over 2001. The difference may not be as much if you extend the terms. But I do not want to talk you into anything.
Case in point; I bought my 92 last July. I have spent another $8,000 on a hardtop, aftermarket windows, engine overhaul, odds and ends.

So I am up to $50,000 and higher rates on the loan than offerered for new cars. New cars offer an extended warrantee so maintanence is reasonable. No warrantee available for a 93.
The other side of the street says- Wow a 92 thats a collector car. But the new cars are real head turners with more power and windows too. Besides everytime I tell someone there were only 285 cars made in 92, they look at me like I am feeding them a line of s**t. Big deal!
The only people who really appreciate a early car are the people who were there then and remember what it did. Who when they see the car are proud because its part of them, "a part of automotive history".
So ... there I go ranting. Good luck!

BYE THE WAY THOSE BUMBLE BEE GTS's are sweet cars.
BURNOUT.gif

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh bye the way. It's still a Viper! and the Gen II guys get reminded eveytime I am behind one. Because I am right on the asp and they can't shake me.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie,

Please don't pay $45,000! The dealer won't get that much from an informed buyer but he'll try his best. $40,000 is a much better "starting" point IMO. I would however, seriously consider Jeff's advice. He's actually dead on IMO. Also check the Classifieds section on the main page - you might even find something there.
EDIT---After just checking the Classifieds page for you, I found a Venom 500, 1993 - RT-10 for only $38,000! Some RT-10's within the year your looking for were as low as $28,000! Priced to sell! Do yourself a favor & GO TO THE CLASSIFIEDS SECTION!

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie: 45,000 is way high for a 1993. Even 40,000
is "stretching it" for this car. I paid 37,000 for my 93
with 5,500 miles about a year ago when the car market was
better than it is today. Mine was bone stock, soft top, side
windows, no hard top, mint condition.. If you absolutely love the car don't
pay one penny over 40,000. Best of luck. You will not be sorry for buying a Viper.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie,

I bought mine from Myrtle Beach a year ago. It is a red 1993 R/T 10. It had 7600 miles, couple of previous owners in Miami area. +500 serial number, so somewhat in the middle of the year production. (No external antenna, etc.)

The car was totally original, even the plugs and TIRES!! were from factory.... No smooth tubes, but that was the way I wanted it. I was looking for a CLEAN and LOW mileage -93.

Asking price was 43.900, which I thought was normal, considering it had Autoform hardtop on it (worth about 4K)

I got it down to 40.000 even. This seemed like a good deal for me, so I bought it. The 45K is too much, try to look a car with hardtop as extra, since it will affect the re-sale value of your car (or make it easier to sell). Even if I am not even condesidering of selling mine. The hardtop is nice on cold winter days (Read: sunny, cold, dry winter days). It will give you also valued trunk space on those longer trips!!!!

E-mail me if you want to know more, I'll be happy to give my 2 cents...

Lauri 1993 Viper

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way man.

I know of a 93 Venom 500 RT that is gorgeous with BBS rims for 38,000.

E-mail me.

Steve

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also be aware that the first gens had head problems.. ask to see the service records and see if the heads were redone and updated.. with only 5000 miles on the car, this more than likely wasnt done.. with no warranty, this could equate into big $$$$$ down the line...

- eddie -

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The head problems were in the head gaskets. New head gaskets are around $ 1500 installed. A car with 5000 miles on it may not have had any leak problem yet. But Arrow says that they all will leak sooner or later. Preventive; retork the head bolt every now and then. For your info.