1994 Viper - U joint replacement

kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my viper in for a oil change, check up etc and the tech came back and said the rear u joints have small cracks in them. Obviously with the amount of torque it puts out, the rear joints are a necessity, but he quoted me $900 to fix them. Seems a bit absurd. What questions should I ask and should I just get stock u joints? Car isn't used for racing, just general cruising

Thanks

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would figure about $100 per u-joint would be what the parts would cost. This is not a difficult task depending on which ones (or all) you are replacing. Drive shaft joints are easy. Half shaft units are a bit worse.

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you get the nice ujoints from unitrax they are about $20/pop. Factor in another $10 or so for each strap kit you have to replace on every ujoint. So we're up to $150 in parts. It's a fairly easy job to do, shouldn't take more than two hours or so for an experienced mechanic to replace them all. So the question is, is your mechanics rate $375/hour or not?

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on Sassafras...

I should have mentioned $100 per from Dodge. You could pick up Spicer units (who Dodge used as OEM for the Vipers) for a great deal less. I don't know you'll get those for $20... But definately in the $50 range with straps. If you replace all of them you'd be between $150 to $300 in parts....depending on which joints you go with.

Heck for $1,000 you could replace the half shafts!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you intend to do the work yourself you will need to remove the Half shafts, remove the end clips then using a socket of the same diameter carefully press out the Uj cups in a vice to remove them from the Half shaft, another pair of hands is good to hold the half shaft while your concentrating on turning the vice handle.

Note if you apply too much pressure you can crack the plastic bearing rings so be careful and don't push the uj further than you have to.

You must make sure you purchase the correct Viper pacific Spicer Ujs It will state they are for a Viper on the box. There are other UJs out there the same size but due to the torque of the viper they may fail!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960