1997 GTS won't start, help!

Dan A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new acquisition and from the get-go, I am having an issue with the alarm ( I suppose ) but the threads. It starts and dies right away and previous owner had the issue and had it sent to the dealer to get reprogrammed ( at least its what they charged him , lol ) . The car was running fine, I am sure it is just the stupid alram cutoff. Both sets of keys function and the car starts and then quickly dies, battery is fine. I tried the 4 times on the key going to accessory and back, etc, follow to the letter, same result, does not work. I do not have a keyed reset in the car, this model does not have. Does anyone know what to do, willing to pay for the right advice at this point, so I can drive it without having it towed to the local Dodge dealer!
Looking forward to a response, thanks all!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Dan, sorry about your trouble.

For now, let's assume it is the alarm(ahough this may require a bit of dialog) and I will try to help you.

Feel free to call me. 317 402 9013

Please note that I have Viper meeting from Noon til 2PM EDT.

OP
OP
D

Dan A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply, will give you a shout later this afternoon : )

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Since I now have a couple of free minutes, let me say that this is another case where a fuel delivery issue mimics quite well the alarm shut down scenario...on first glance.

This is the 2nd such issue that I have dealt with in the last 4 days. Both were Gen II Vipers with fuel pump relay issues. In this case (97 Viper) there was enough fuel to start and die a couple of times...but ultimately no start...just starter motor turning engine. While checking for the integrity of the fuel pump fuse and relay, the relay was noted by Dan to be a non-OEM, with the one pin cut down to fit the socket. A spare relay solved the issue.

In the earlier case, (98 Viper), while checking for the same thing, the tech noted an inactive relay...with one wire hanging loose on the back side of the fuel pump relay socket. Wiring repair allowed this Viper to start and run.

As an aside, both of the gentlemen with whom I spoke really know their away around cars in general...probably much more than I know !! :)

Cheers !

OP
OP
D

Dan A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A big " thank you " to Steve the Viper-Whisperer for his help yesterday. Not alarm issue, was a fuel pump relay. : )

OP
OP
D

Dan A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What could someone recommend for my stock 97 as far as making a better exhaust note? Does not need to be crazy and want to keep it as stock as possible, but the thing is too quiet, my other cars are all quite loud, this thing is just too tame in stock form!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I like the Corsa catback on our 97 GTS.

Wife likes the louder Borla catback on her 99 ACR and her 01 GTS.

Expect an unlimited number of other suggestions to follow !!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 5:1 headers, 3" HF cats, 3" Moroso Spiral Flows, 2.5" X-pipe in place of the rear muffler. Nice, deep rumble at idle and low speeds and moderately loud howl at 3.5k+. No drone, or resonant buzz with this setup.

Attachments

• new side sill pipes.jpg
    new side sill pipes.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 8
  • Rear X pipe final.jpg
    Rear X pipe final.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 8

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Borla. It's all personal preference but IMO the Borla has a nice traditional big block throaty rumble.

OP
OP
D

Dan A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions guys! Why they make these so quiet anyways??!?!? I have stuff that makes a ton of noise and the Viper sounds simpy in comparison

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that exhaust sound goes right by the occupants' ears, instead of under the floor board. The entire side sills are echo chambers. If you want loud, go with side outlet exhaust, no cats and low restriction mufflers. Everyone will hear you, but you won't be able to hear much after very long - and I'm being completely honest.

Bill W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What could someone recommend for my stock 97 as far as making a better exhaust note? Does not need to be crazy and want to keep it as stock as possible, but the thing is too quiet, my other cars are all quite loud, this thing is just too tame in stock form!
If you want it to be "as stock as possible" go with a high-flow catalytic converter.

OP
OP
D

Dan A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions! Enjoying driving it, very different than some of the other muscle I have. Actually...to be honest, quite surprised at how civilized it is, expected it to misbehave more, lol, but I have other cars which look for ditches more than this one. Really liking it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala