1st Oil Change / Zerk Fittings? / Finally Some Fun

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took this group's advice and changed the oil for the 1st time at 500 miles this morning. I have early morning access to the lift at the local garage. Front spoiler cleared the lift frame by 1/4" - but as they say 1/4" is the same as a mile. Other than taking a long time for 10 quarts to finish draining, the oil change was easy. Great advice on the need for an early oil change - the magnetic drain plug had about an 1/8" clump of very fine black ferrous particles stuck to the end: no metal chips but getting rid of this gunk and the oil that got it there sure seems like the right thing to do. Besides, it gave me the opportunity to check out how its put together underneath.

While poking around underneath I came across Zerk grease fittings on the bottom of each of the front suspension arms. No mention of them in the service book that came with the car. Are there others? If so, where? How often do they need greasing and with what?

Left the garage and finally got on the car a little. It's a whole different animal above 4,000 RPM!!! The noise alone is addictive. I got a sense of what this Viper thing is all about. Awsome! I'll save pushing its (and my) limits a lot more until I get it on a track in July.

Thanks for the advice here.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have an SRT10, I have a GTS. When I did my first oil change, I was surprised to see grease zerks, since most new cars are sealed. The viper is built like a race car and is greasible. You should find zerks on upper and lower A arms at the ball jonts(I had to remove the wheels to get to them), also on the sreering arms. I can't remember all of them, but there are quite a number of them. Again, this is on a GEN2 car.The recomended service in my owners manual was at 5K, I think. Should be in the owners manual. I hope this helps you. :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are 10 greasable zerks on the SRT- 3 per front wheel, 2 per back. I recomend lubing every other oil change, 5 pumps in the large joints, 3 in the smaller joints. I also recomend using a Synthetic grease, such as Valvoline Synpower lubricant... Very good heat resistance, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960