1st track test

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche Turbo is awd. Its s lot easier to get good numbers out of on poor surfaces. Rwd cars never set great times on that surface. Its about ZR-1 fast which is what it should be. Anyone who thought it was going to run zomg zr-1 in the dust times has just been dreaming.

Im more shocked at the apparent inneffectiveness of the launch control.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most launch controls are garbage, especially if the car isn't AWD. The best way to launch a car has always been the left and right feet without the nannies.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True enough. You see many timee where testers get faster times with a manual clutch slip and throttle feather when it comes to rwd. In fact this also occasionally happens with the awd where just flooring it off the line is more effective. But ive rarely seen one this useless to just light the tires up. The computers should provide some grip at some point. Good thing is that its all computer programming and can be adjusted.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are panicked :)
More db :headbang:
BTW what does 1-ft rollout means?

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the traction/stability control was developed for three years and was supposed to be something special. Maybe around a track it will be better. As stated above, they got good numbers out of the Porsche turbo. Im disappointed with these numbers. They should have sent the fastest car there with a proven car that has been tested. There shouldnt have been any surprises, maybe it not a surprise to them. I guess this is the same numbers from the brochure=disappointed. I guess Ill wait to see what the other mags come out with.

Look at what edmunds rated the stock 2009.
Look at your sig.

How do you think what edmunds publishes is hard fact?

Don't worry. All will be ok..

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't read too much into this test. It was with a pre-production Viper without the finished software and suspension calibrations.
Paul, Well read on what you see is what everyone will be getting....marginal numbers at best....I'm not surprised at all as how much more can once get out of a rear wheel drive car...all the limits have pretty much been reached for a rear wheel drive car......

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But it's still a rear wheel drive car?

I would not say far from stock either. It's not like SRT couldn't offer those numbers stock.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But it's still a rear wheel drive car?

I would not say far from stock either. It's not like SRT couldn't offer those numbers stock.

Where are they then?....not going to happen only those that are wishful thinking.....If they could they most certainly would have stepped up......It looks like there will be a lot of disappointment but I am not the least bit surprised. when I heard the 640 HP I knew that this would cause disappointment throughout the ranks.

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 60' time would have been good you can tell a lot about how it was launched right there. With those tires Id be expecting 1.9 at least, if it was 2.0 or worse then sack the test driver!

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
exactly. Here's what happens when a bad driver does a drag race on cold tires and a dirty track.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Whats the problem. As was already stated, the car is right there with a ZR1. Which, given the specs is about right. Plus, where the Vette beat the Gen 4 is the 160-200 mph area. The improved gearing, less weight, and 640 hp is going to show a big diifference there.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the drag strip don't expect more than what the GEN IV has already done. Maybe in the hands of a good driver with a fully prepped track and really cold air temp and -DA. There may be up to a 2 tenths of a second and maybe 1 mph improvement over the best times to date on a " factory tired car". Not slicks or drag radials. A 640hp 3500lbs RWD car is "TRACTION LIMITED".

I knew the GEN V is not going to be a world ****** at the drag strip.

Here are the reasons I am buying mine.
A. New Body Shape.
B. Full Factory Warranty
C. 3:55 gears
D. New Transmssion Gearing.
E. Lightweight Flywheel.
F. And yes I will say it CRUISE CONTROL.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why bother coming out with a new viper that wont even beat a ZR1? Sure it looks great but why come out with a NEW car that gets beat by most of it competitors. This with a three year hiatus.....I was expecting it to be close to the 458 in performance numbers.

If your gonna come out with a "track monster" that under performs at the drag strip then.....COME OUT WITH TRACK RECORD TIMES FIRST!!!! Laguna seca, watkins, road atlanta, miller, the Ring, whatever. The drag strip times would then be secondary. I guarantee this is no surprise to SRT. Come on guys!!

Ok, I feel better now..

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the drag strip don't expect more than what the GEN IV has already done. Maybe in the hands of a good driver with a fully prepped track and really cold air temp and -DA. There may be up to a 2 tenths of a second and maybe 1 mph improvement over the best times to date on a " factory tired car". Not slicks or drag radials. A 640hp 3500lbs RWD car is "TRACTION LIMITED".

I knew the GEN V is not going to be a world ****** at the drag strip.

Here are the reasons I am buying mine.
A. New Body Shape.
B. Full Factory Warranty
C. 3:55 gears
D. New Transmssion Gearing.
E. Lightweight Flywheel.
F. And yes I will say it CRUISE CONTROL.

Why shouldn't someone expect more than what a Gen IV should do?

-It weighs 157 lbs less with the trak-pak. That in and of itself should shave off time.
-It is supposed to not just have more power and torque, but it is supposed to have an even better power band while being faster revving.
-It has wider tires that Ralph stated at the unveiling are supposed to be the tire that gave them everything they wanted.
-New gearing.
-Launch control.
-Refined chassis and suspension.

I'd expect with all those changes it would have a shot at a 10.8-10.9 magazine run. I'm also not the only one expecting it. Check the other threads.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll gladly eat my crow later if I am wrong - but why don't you all wait until production cars are tested before getting upset. Why hasn't SRT come out with track times? Well, come on - they are still running mules around. The first customer car was just put on the line.

I expect within a month we will start seeing real numbers.

I wonder if Edmunds wasn't supposed to release this - it is baffling that no one else has dropped figures so far.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like you stated, it will only matter when the competition is run against us at the same track on the same day. The speed through the traps seems about right for the 640 hp....that is the number I wanted to come in faster. I was hoping that SRT was sand bagging a little on the 640 hp and the motor hp was underated....apparently not.

Cheers,
George

This is all that matters. No magazine ran these #'s in a Gen IV i believe. lets not speculate or panic until we see a multiple car comparison in one of the mags,

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd expect with all those changes it would have a shot at a 10.8-10.9 magazine run. I'm also not the only one expecting it. Check the other threads.

To be fair, I have yet to see a "respectable" magazine run for a Gen IV. If the magazines are running 11.6, 11.7, 11.8 @125ish in the Gen IV and owners are running 10.9-11.2s at 128/129 why even worry about ONE magazine test so far on ONE day for the Gen V? Look at the MPH for the GEN V on this ONE test.

Look at the MPH for the 911 and Gen IV. All that tells me is at anything but a stop the Viper has nothing to worry about.

People are getting way too worried way too easy. Give it time.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at what edmunds rated the stock 2009.
Look at your sig.

How do you think what edmunds publishes is hard fact?

Don't worry. All will be ok..

That is funny stuff and a good way to look at the situation IMO:2tu:

UTAHVIPER, do you have a response to this?

When people ask you how fast your 2008 Viper is do you quote the edmunds tested time? or your "personal best time of 11.19" :dunno:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When people ask me how fast my viper is(0-60, 1/4mile, top speed) I usually tell them i'm not sure exactly because i just take her out on the road course and drive her to my limit to be able to tune my skills and confidently drive fast on backroads. The next question is: How fast do you go on the road course? A: At the end of the straightaway on the road course i'm not looking at my MPH, I'm glancing at the tach and focusing on the road & environment to threshold brake and then roll on the throttle to accelerate as fast as possible past the apex and out of the turn.

Im pretty sure that the result of this typical conversation leaves my fan's with a lot more respect for me(and the Viper) for actually going out on a road course as opposed to simply talking about a few performance numbers, or typing them on an internet forum for that matter.

Last edited:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It weighs 157 lbs less with the trak-pak. That in and of itself should shave off time.
That equates to a .15-.20 tenths of a second quicker. Forty more hp equals .04 tenths quicker all in the quarter mile.

It has wider tires that Ralph stated at the unveiling are supposed to be the tire that gave them everything they wanted.
Wider tires at the strip don't always perform better at the strip. A 10" slick beats a 15" wide street tire all day.

-New gearing.
Makes it a lot more fun to drive around town and may help on a road course. Only helps at the drag strip when the tires can hold the newly added torque.

-Launch control.
Takes away hp to make up for poor conditions and marginal drivers. Good track prep and good driver will out perform traction control.

Refined chassis and suspension
Great for the road course. Viper has a terrible suspension for the strip.

I do think it will be a terror on road courses and the best street stock Viper ever made.

If you have a GEN I,II,III. Time for a change. A Gen IV spend 10K for the same performance.

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think SRT attempt was to refine the car first, and worry about preformance later, because these number are not spectacular. Will wait to see what the other mag's come out with.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say that I thought the numbers would at least be what they were for the FGT in 2005 given the P/W advantage. I suppose chassis dynamics is a factor here, even the ZR1 could have the advantage given the vette's rearward drive train design. We just have to wait for more numbers from other sources and some head to head same day, same track and same driver stuff.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the pass..sorry for the poor video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1q1I0JFqEE

DOM, I just sold my gen4 to buy a gen5. I know I can ring more out of it than the mags but I want a significantly faster car. I dont want any other car, I want a faster viper. The Gen4 was fast and a great value in its day but its 5 years later and we picked up 40HP and lost 100 lbs. That translates into a tenth or so by the same testers(edmunds), not acceptable to spend $110k+.

I hope that the mopar guys come up with a special performance package that will get us 700HP and factory warranty. That is my hope.

Ive got viper blood running through my veins and I want a faster viper. My favorite pass time is to pull up to a ferrari, lambo, porsche or whatever and waste them with my viper. Im afraid that isnt gonna happen anymore.

That is funny stuff and a good way to look at the situation IMO:2tu:

UTAHVIPER, do you have a response to this?

When people ask you how fast your 2008 Viper is do you quote the edmunds tested time? or your "personal best time of 11.19" :dunno:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When people ask me how fast my viper is(0-60, 1/4mile, top speed) I usually tell them i'm not sure exactly because i just take her out on the road course and drive her to my limit to be able to tune my skills and confidently drive fast on backroads. The next question is: How fast do you go on the road course? A: At the end of the straightaway on the road course i'm not looking at my MPH, I'm glancing at the tach and focusing on the road & environment to threshold brake and then roll on the throttle to accelerate as fast as possible past the apex and out of the turn.

Im pretty sure that the result of this typical conversation leaves my fan's with a lot more respect for me(and the Viper) for actually going out on a road course as opposed to simply talking about a few performance numbers, or typing them on an internet forum for that matter.

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.5 @ 127+ indicates traction problems. Most likely a 2.0+ 60' at best. The only 11.5 @ 127/128 times on the Viper section of Dragtimes.com belong to supercharged or turboed cars. 125mph is a much more realistic trap for that ET, with a moderately good launch. Shaving even .2 in the 60' would easily bring a 11.1, maybe even 11 flat. Maybe the reason for the poor 60' is a combinaion of sub-par track conditions and the harder to launch lighweight flywheel.

Conclusion: Gen V is probably a good bit faster than Gen IV, but it would take an even better driver (than before) to convince us of that.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way to get faster Is with AWD and look how much people complain about TC. You are hitting physical limits in acceleration with RWD.
Here is the pass..sorry for the poor video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1q1I0JFqEE

DOM, I just sold my gen4 to buy a gen5. I know I can ring more out of it than the mags but I want a significantly faster car. I dont want any other car, I want a faster viper. The Gen4 was fast and a great value in its day but its 5 years later and we picked up 40HP and lost 100 lbs. That translates into a tenth or so by the same testers(edmunds), not acceptable to spend $110k+.

I hope that the mopar guys come up with a special performance package that will get us 700HP and factory warranty. That is my hope.

Ive got viper blood running through my veins and I want a faster viper. My favorite pass time is to pull up to a ferrari, lambo, porsche or whatever and waste them with my viper. Im afraid that isnt gonna happen anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery