200 mile GT2. HOLY!!!

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dana Mecum has been running these weekly televised auctions each week until May 17th. I still haven't been able to find it on the TV and he is not attracting a lot of buyers. I know he invested at least a million in this weekly televised auction series but could never understand how he was going to get buyers to the indy fairgrounds each week for six striaght weeks??? A lot of cars have sold well below what was perceived as the market.

I called his son Frank this week because Dana was out of town on family business and emailed him in order to find out more information on the car such as whether or not it had the Factory cover and lithographs and other docs and some owner history. No one ever got back to me so I didn't phone in a bid. The car wasn't well advertised and they had no idea what the car was. Bad way for the owner to sell the car. My only question was who bought the car? Whether a dealer bought it to retail it or even the auction house to resell later. If a private buyer bought it 95K plus the fees is the new market price for a 200 mile GT2.

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just happened to pass by the auction on HD Theater, looks like the GTS-R went for $95,000. Seems like someone got a decent deal.

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I think I found the GTSR... It was purchased by Steve Ooley at Ooley and Blackburn in Carmel, Indiana. I almost wrecked when I saw it. The car is in perfect shape. There is still plastic on the floor. Steve has sold many Vipers over the years (including another GTSR last year) and he only sells nice stuff. He doesn't have a price yet. I have purchased many cars from Steve over the years and he is first rate all the way. I wish I could afford another Viper! Steve can be reached at 317-575-8686 or check out Welcome to Ooley & Blackburn. Someone is going to get a nice car.

You must be registered for see images

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad a dealer bought it since he must think he bought it at a wholesale price to retail it. Steve sold another real nice low mile GT2 last year after it came out of a collection. Lucky for Steve he resides in the area as this rare car came through an obscure auction with no knowledgable buyers other than him.

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Les - I think you are correct. It would of brought a ton more money at the right auction. It is a beautiful car. How come I never here about these type of deals....

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
95k bought that car very well... Having said that, once commission,transport,etc,etc is all rolled in.. I dont think he's getting rich on that sale.. Once commission and transport is paid. He's in that car for about $106-$107k.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<He's in that car for about $106-$107k>>

If he sells it for $125K, he would make a pretty healthy and easy profit though.

I don't think we've yet found out about the car cover, lithographs and signed photos- if not present with the car, I would think the value would drop $10-15K or more (at least to some potential buyers, some of whom might even pass over the car for one complete with all the collectible goodies)

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I stopped and looked at the car again and it comes with tons of stuff - a cover, lithograph, photos going down the line, paperwork, brochures, etc. I wish I could afford another Viper! Steve put it on ebay. I asked him for the "good customer" discount and he declined! I had a Viper "expert" tell me it will sell for $150k..... What do you think?

eBay Motors: Dodge : Viper (item 200217086293 end time Apr-24-08 13:57:05 PDT)

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car sold for 95K Mecums fees are 5% I think so to get it from Indianapolis to Carmel Indiana can't be much so Ooley is in it at around 100K. This deal was available to anyone but I couldn't get anyone at Mecums auction to call me back about documents with the car.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all i got was an email 2 days ago thanking me for my interest in the auction, nothing more....i believe the auction for this car was fixed....

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think so Frank? I have a friend who knows Mecum very well for years and called to bid on another car that day and couldn't get through to anyone either on that other car to make a phone bid. I know that one of the Mecum family members is very ill which is casuing problems for them. I also know they didn't get the TV ratings they hoped for and have invested a ton of money in this six week auction format. They are hoping the grand finale on May 17th will be a hit. I think if we would have been there or had a rep there for us we could have bought the car? I doubt Ooley as a dealer would have paid much more for the car knowing he had to retail it?:dunno:

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all i got was an email 2 days ago thanking me for my interest in the auction, nothing more....i believe the auction for this car was fixed....

I also tried to sign up to bid... Got the same reply..I dont think it was fixed. 95k bought that car "well"... Its already listed again on Ebay.

Les, I hate to say it.. But that ship has sailed..... I think Barrett-Jackson squeezed every last drop out of the whole TV ratings/car auction fiasco..

simply put.... I think Mecum allows too many reserve cars. And too many of them don't meet reserve. Im sure they do research to ensure the money is "right" before allowing the reserve. But, it doesnt seem to be working.

Im sure many deals are cut outside of camera range. But that doesnt help TV ratings... No one in their right mind would run a NR car through Mecum right now. So, where is the excitement? The money just ain't there right now..

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree it is clearly not working. I just spoke to a friend who was at last weeks auction and the guy who sold the Viper has a 300 car collection and had his care taker be present for the Viper sale. My friend said the Viper was in good condition but looked dirty underneath liked it was driven in the rain. He also said their were no buyers, lousy cars and it was a graveyard. This Viper was a steal.

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree it is clearly not working. I just spoke to a friend who was at last weeks auction and the guy who sold the Viper has a 300 car collection and had his care taker be present for the Viper sale. My friend said the Viper was in good condition but looked dirty underneath liked it was driven in the rain. He also said their were no buyers, lousy cars and it was a graveyard. This Viper was a steal.

Yes it was... I assumed everyone would be all over that car. Or else I would have followed through, and maybe even flown out to bid on the car. Kind of kicking myself right now..

But with commish and transport. He's in the car for what? 107(ish). Still a great deal though... Car was very well bought..

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high bidder is me. I have spoken with Steve. I have known about this car for sometime and the original owner was offered much more money on the car and was not sure at the time they wanted to sell. the car is in like new condition. I did not know it was being offered at Mecum's or I would have purchased it. Good for Ooley and Blackburn for snatching up such a rare car, and I hope they do well. Steve has communicated with me and seems to be a very nice individual. As many people have asked it has the photos, litho's , letters, car cover, and a complete paper trail. I am fairly confident, I will not win the Ebay auction, I am always a little skepitical of playing the bidding games, this car is a time capsule piece. I still have #35 and hope I will walk away with this one.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he is in the car at about 100K. 95K plus 5% in fees, He probably trailered it himself from Indy to Carmel? Or drove it because it now has 298 miles instead of 200?

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he is in the car at about 100K. 95K plus 5% in fees, He probably trailered it himself from Indy to Carmel? Or drove it because it now has 298 miles instead of 200?

The Mecum Ebay ad said 200 miles... But I believe it had 280's, if you go back and look at the auction..

Bernie, good luck... I would love to own this car as well. And was seriously considering phone bidding it. But it just so happens I was *******, on a business trip at the time. And quite frankly, I was fairly certain. This car was going North of $125k(which I was not willing to pay at this time) So, I didnt want to go through the hassle, as this was the only car in the line up, I wanted.. Oh well..

What a great car to have... good luck..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang