2000+ Supercharger Question

Flames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just read that the Viper I recently bought (GTS 2000) has cast pistons compared to 96-99 models which has forged pistons. Not now, but in a near futur I planned to install a Supercharger kit on the car. Does it matter if I dont have the forged pistons? I guess im limited to low boost?

My hp goal would be around 600whp, is the stock 2000+ motor able to handle it safely with a SC kit? Are the oem heads and fuel system OK for this hp goal? I'll order a Roe Racing Xcalibrator soon but is there anything else absolutely needed to install along with the SC?

Thanks ViperClub !

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you'll be limited.. May need Water/**** or NO2 to be on safe side. Forged has a bit more margin of error with detonation.
THere are quite a few guys on here running Roe SC's on cast piston.
Plenty of threads on this too.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean has some FAQ's about the Supercharger on cast pistons/stock fuel system here: http://www.roeracing.com/productcart/pc/Frequently-Asked-Questions-d5.htm#super05 You'll be 'limited' to the 5psi pulley. I say 'limited' because you'll still getting a lot of power, LOL. You should be good for 600rwhp up tp 5,500 rpm, on the stock fuel system. Note that many Roe owners have installed a fuel pump voltage booster to help with fuel supply issues. A how to on this can be found in the Illustrated Upgrade's section.

I would install a Wideband sensor/gauge and/or boost gauge so you can keep an eye on AirFuel/boost. It will also help with tuning.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running Striker heads/cam/paxton on a stock 2001 bottom end and have been for a yr, the car is making 909 rwhp. Power does not brake pistons, detonation does.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Roe on my 01 GTS. It's a 5lb system as stated above....no water/****. The Roe is a top notch system with very high quality components. You will love it. Just be sure to check the supercharger oil which can be accessed through the hex screw on top of the unit. I made a "T" dipstick out of 2 popsicle sticks which makes it easy to check the oil level. I think I got the idea from these forums somewhere. If you need more info on this, just let me know.

OP
OP
F

Flames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brigning back to life this thread. Since my hp goal (600whp) is somewhat low, would it be possible to acheive that without using boost for the same price? Roe supercharger is 8k + installation and tuning should end up paying 10k$. Is it possible for the same price to acheive 600whp staying N\A ? If so, what parts would need to be upgraded, any part list suggestion? Would it be better than going the S\C way?

My current mod list:

- SCT custom tune by Roe
- High Performance K&N Induction Kit
- 70 mm Throttle Bodies
- Upgraded Mass Air flows
- Belanger Headers
- Borla straight exhaust 3.5”
- Differential gear upgraded to 3.73 ratio

Important note: Where I live the best gas I can get is only 91 octane (ethanol free) Shell pump gas or 94 octane (10% ethanol) Petro-Canada pump gas.

Last edited:

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heads and cam will get you in the 550 range, but not 600 and that would probably cost close to 5k after everything is bought. You could probably so a stroker motor to achieve the 600hp goal, but you're talking big $$ for that. Why are you stuck on 600WHP? I say do heads cam and see how you like it then go F.I. after. The only way you're gonna get a roe system is a used one ($5500-$6500). You could just save up money and have Sean install his TT kit at a low boost setting.

OP
OP
F

Flames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heads and cam will get you in the 550 range, but not 600 and that would probably cost close to 5k after everything is bought. You could probably so a stroker motor to achieve the 600hp goal, but you're talking big $$ for that. Why are you stuck on 600WHP? I say do heads cam and see how you like it then go F.I. after. The only way you're gonna get a roe system is a used one ($5500-$6500). You could just save up money and have Sean install his TT kit at a low boost setting.

Roe units are discontinued? I didnt know that :(

I stuck on 600 cause my previous car, a Toyota Supra MKIV single turbo had that much power and I'd like to match it. I think 600 is a good range for street racing, not too much power so you still have traction with good tires, just enough to destroy anything on the roads (where I live), not too many parts to upgrade so good cost wise, can keep the inner engine parts stock as well as fuel system... so that's why it's my goal.

Well I have three choice for the futur of my car, performance wise:

- Stay N\A, but I'm not sure I can acheive my goal without boost. Maybe a head\cam setup (in 550 range) + use a 100 shot NOS when in racing situations?
- Supercharger
- A very talented local shop could make a TT setup for me for around the same cost of a SC installed and tuned.

Just trying to decide what's best. I don't do track racing, only street cruising and some street racing when the opportunity shows up. My budget would be 10k$.

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe units are discontinued? I didnt know that :(

I stuck on 600 cause my previous car, a Toyota Supra MKIV single turbo had that much power and I'd like to match it. I think 600 is a good range for street racing, not too much power so you still have traction with good tires, just enough to destroy anything on the roads (where I live), not too many parts to upgrade so good cost wise, can keep the inner engine parts stock as well as fuel system... so that's why it's my goal.

Well I have three choice for the futur of my car, performance wise:

- Stay N\A, but I'm not sure I can acheive my goal without boost. Maybe a head\cam setup (in 550 range) + use a 100 shot NOS when in racing situations?
- Supercharger
- A very talented local shop could make a TT setup for me for around the same cost of a SC installed and tuned.

Just trying to decide what's best. I don't do track racing, only street cruising and some street racing when the opportunity shows up. My budget would be 10k$.

If you can do a TT setup for the same cost then that a no brainer. But for 10k I would find a used s/c setup with a head and cam

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still say Heads/Cam and SCT. Then if you decide to go F.I. it'll make more power with less boost. I've never messed with NOS but it seems like filling the bottle and maintenance would get old fast

OP
OP
F

Flames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still say Heads/Cam and SCT. Then if you decide to go F.I. it'll make more power with less boost. I've never messed with NOS but it seems like filling the bottle and maintenance would get old fast

Is there somwhere on the internet where I can buy an heads & cams kit for the gen 2 Viper? The whole thing with everything needed for me to swap bolt-on ?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did the Roe on my '01 GTS this year, the breakdown was as such, in rounded and aprox numbers:

-> Roe on stock engine, 100 hp gain, $6500 installed and tuned.

-> TT on stock engine, 200 hp gain, $15000 installed and tuned.

-> TT on built engine, 400 hp gain, $25000 installed and tuned.

You can see the factor of scale up is reasonable linear. The more you want, the more you will pay. Simple to figure out.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there somwhere on the internet where I can buy an heads & cams kit for the gen 2 Viper? The whole thing with everything needed for me to swap bolt-on ?

Call Greg Good and get his advice on what you're trying to accomplish. I did heads/cam from Greg, actually heads,cam,rockers,headers,exhaust,ported intake, tune. This is on my 2001. Without the ported intake and an incomplete tune, I put down a little over 560rwhp. I'm running richer than I need to be and haven't finished tuning but it's a beast. I seriously doubt I will gain another 40rwhp with final tuning. I recently had Greg port my intake and have no idea what, if any gains, it'll give me but I doubt it will be 40rwhp. We'll see come spring time. I could remove cats but not a fan of the stank egg smell thing and my exhaust is ear shattering already.

My stock GenII heads were ported by Greg and I believe he hit the highest flowing numbers on my heads, at least for GenII. I seriously doubt you'll get to 600rwhp with stock ported GenII heads and cam. However, I believe it's possible with his GenIII ported heads. Certainly achievable with Stryker heads and cam but that starts at $8K. Also, I believe the fuel system will need some attention. I'm quite certain I'm at or very near capacity with my fuel system with perhaps injector duty cycle maxing out. I've often heard that the fuel system could be the limiting factor in this.

I did the labor myself and all in with parts in signature, etc. I'm just over $8K on everything. I believe that in order for me to hit 600whp or more, I need to increase compression beyond 10:5 to 1, replace the creampuff pistons and build up the bottom end a bit. I don't want higher compression and deal with driveability issues.

I know Greg has worked with Viper owners to achieve 600rwhp so get his input. If you already have the mods listed in your post earlier, then I think with $10K it's possible. I think Viper Specialty has packages. Give Greg and Dan a call, both will tell you exactly what you need to achieve your goal.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think Viper Specialty has packages.

Absolutely.

To be honest, all of our packages these days are heading Gen-4 based, but the results have been stellar, and 600+ is easily attainable. Our packages are by no means the cheapest, but we feel they are the best that is possible, and our adaption and technology pushing nature exceeds any other.

I am waiting to see who will be the first who steps up to the plate with a Gen-2 for the VS-X700, but it will absolutely happen. We are currently waiting for the first batch of parts to construct another masterpiece, a Twin Turbo VS-1500TT [Gen-4 Upper Converted] Viper GTS-R... Yes, a REAL GTS-R, so it will happen one way or another, but I am hoping a street version may step up to the plate before that project starts rolling at a major speed.

With all that said, Greg Good can absolutely put a package together as well that may fit the bill. Its all in what you are looking for.

For more information, check our website, contact me, or look up the conversion thread posted by Nader last spring.