2000 Vipers with 5lb roe supercharger sound off

Viperarri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there. Just curious, how many of us are out there that are enjoying the lower end of the supercharged world and any thoughts to doing the massive upgrades (ie..pistons, water **** cooling etc..) to go after the big guys? Personally, I can barely handle what this 5 pounder is giving me, I absolutely love it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
city's car ran perfect from what id seen many times. i wouldnt go any further with the roe, it seems like there are a lot more problems when ya go over the 5-6 lb mark on them. at least i know there is more headaches

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have two 5 pound Roe cars. One a 2000, the other a 2001. The 2000 Roe was installed and tuned by me in 5/06. The 2001 tuned by me after we bought it in 8/06. The dyno tune the 01 car came with was not right. I am completely satisfied with the power. Have no desire to go further. It's not that I couldn't handle the power........I've got 80,000 Viper miles on these cars and over 1000 miles of road track time including a 3 day high speed school at Spring Mountain in Nevada. I'm just very satisfied at this level. The 5 pound kit is also the easiest to tune and has been completely trouble free in over 32,000 SC miles between the two cars. We have no room for a W/M tank with all the traveling we do. Drivability governs anything I do with the cars. Everything is basically a bolt on addition. The VEC tuning bent that rule a little, but I learned how to do it. We've been all over the country with our car. Amazingly, on the way home last week end from Ohio, the 2000 car with 3.45 gears got 23.5 MPG on the last tank (2 lane / 55 speed limit / running 62-65 MPH). That's with 77,000 miles on the clock. I get around 20 between 75-80 on freeways. It's all good for us with the 5 pound Roe set up. :drive:

Both cars do have several other bolt on goodies:

2000 car: 5 pound Roe / Belanger headers /no cats/3" Belanger exhaust / light flywheel / 1.7 roller rockers / 3.45 gears and stock 18" wheels and tires.
2001 car: 5 Pound Roe / Belanger headers / hi flow cats / 3" Corsa track exhaust / light flywheel / 3.07 gears with 19" wheels. That makes the effective rear end ratio a 2.92.

The 2000 car is noticeably quicker.

Steve

OP
OP
V

Viperarri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have two 5 pound Roe cars. One a 2000, the other a 2001. The 2000 Roe was installed and tuned by me in 5/06. The 2001 tuned by me after we bought it in 8/06. The dyno tune the 01 car came with was not right. I am completely satisfied with the power. Have no desire to go further. It's not that I couldn't handle the power........I've got 80,000 Viper miles on these cars and over 1000 miles of road track time including a 3 day high speed school at Spring Mountain in Nevada. I'm just very satisfied at this level. The 5 pound kit is also the easiest to tune and has been completely trouble free in over 32,000 SC miles between the two cars. We have no room for a W/M tank with all the traveling we do. Drivability governs anything I do with the cars. Everything is basically a bolt on addition. The VEC tuning bent that rule a little, but I learned how to do it. We've been all over the country with our car. Amazingly, on the way home last week end from Ohio, the 2000 car with 3.45 gears got 23.5 MPG on the last tank (2 lane / 55 speed limit / running 62-65 MPH). That's with 77,000 miles on the clock. I get around 20 between 75-80 on freeways. It's all good for us with the 5 pound Roe set up. :drive:

Both cars do have several other bolt on goodies:

2000 car: 5 pound Roe / Belanger headers /no cats/3" Belanger exhaust / light flywheel / 1.7 roller rockers / 3.45 gears and stock 18" wheels and tires.
2001 car: 5 Pound Roe / Belanger headers / hi flow cats / 3" Corsa track exhaust / light flywheel / 3.07 gears with 19" wheels. That makes the effective rear end ratio a 2.92.

The 2000 car is noticeably quicker.

Steve

Fantastic, must be very nice to have both. I have removed the resonators and the muffler so I am straight pipe back from my ROE hi flo cats, the sound is unbelievable. I was curious what kind of actual hp numbers you are posting.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no dyno within several hundred miles of here so I really have no idea of what the 2000 car is now. I had it dynoed in Detroit in 5/03 -- exhaust only-- and it was 438HP/481TQ.

The 2001 car came with one VEC card and a dyno sheet. It showed 554HP/586TQ. Pretty decent for a 5 pounder (done with stock wheel package). You couldn't log back then (2003) and the tuning was done with a probe up the exhaust I assume. Having tuned the other car with a WB and meter set up, I felt naked w/o the same on the new car. I upgraded to be able to log and discovered that the above numbers were arrived at in an extremely rich condition. I have this sorted out now and have much better AFR numbers. There was also an OEM O2 location problem with the headers. The car is running much better now and should be stronger.

There is no doubt, the 2000 car is quicker, due to the rear end ratio, bigger wheeels on the 2001, and 1.7 roller rockers, but I will likely never know the numbers. Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me as I have logging capability. I will always use that method to tune / check where I'm at. Based on the above numbers for reference, I'd guess somewhere between 570-590 HP on the 2000 car, although I might have given up a tad because of the rear gear change.

Steve

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes. I'm getting 10 MPG doing mostly city driving..and yes I do blip into boost quite a bit!! I haven't run a tank completely on the road to see if I'm in the 20's. Before the ROE, I was getting 20+ and around 13 in city driving.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm running 10psi and it's got 30,000mi. on the odometer. 20,000mi. with the Roe. 20mpg. No problems except traction. Going to PIR for Driver's training in June. 720rwhp with 10#, TBs, rockers, 9-1 Ross pistons, Headers, Corsa, 3.07 gears (3.55 slowed down), M2 airbox. Built and tuned by Macedo. Had a slight problem 8,000mi. ago - Sean said, "change the front O2 sensors" - fixed. 10.5@139mph on PS1s. I like the torque driving in 6th gear.

Ted

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now i cant wait to get mine built...

Roe 8lb
Cauldwell heads and T&D RR
708 Cam
Roe pistons
Vec3

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes. I'm getting 10 MPG doing mostly city driving..and yes I do blip into boost quite a bit!! I haven't run a tank completely on the road to see if I'm in the 20's. Before the ROE, I was getting 20+ and around 13 in city driving.

I don't believe I have ever driven around town / local roads without mashing my right foot to the floor several times during the cruise. It's kind of a tradition to spin the tires up a little as soon I get to the highway we're close to. The car wash guy there questions me when I don't ;)

That kind of driving sees about 11-14 MPG with the blower. There really is nowhere around here that it is all 'city' driving. Speed limits are 55 and below.

Our car, in stock form, got about 14 around town -- like above, and saw around 24 MPG on the freeway. 1600 RPM with stock gears seems to be the sweet spot (80 MPH). 3.45 gears cost about 1.5 MPG at freeway speeds. The blower took a little more. I easily run in 6th gear at 60 MPH with the gear change.

Steve

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there. Just curious, how many of us are out there that are enjoying the lower end of the supercharged world and any thoughts to doing the massive upgrades (ie..pistons, water **** cooling etc..) to go after the big guys? Personally, I can barely handle what this 5 pounder is giving me, I absolutely love it.

Not sure which way to read that, Greg. Is it too much power or not enough?!:rolaugh:

Long time no hear, how ya been?