2001-2002 Aluminum Flywheel MISS Fire code ??

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone else has installed a Fidenza Aluminum Flywheel in a 2001-2002 Viper, and gotten "Multiple Missfire" code when the car is idle'ing after the car is first started, after the car has been sitting for at least a day.

I had 2 parts changed right before this started happening, and me and my viper tech are trying to figure out, if its the Cam Sensor acting crazy, or the Aluminum Flywheel confusing those more finiky 2001-2002 PCM's ?

Thanks for the help.

Jon

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see how a flywheel can cause any kind of code. Unless there is some sort of sensor that read a pickup on the flywheel.

Sounds like your vipertech could be trying to give you the old its not stock line, and blame it on the aftermarket part.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahah.. no no...

My viper tech put it in, lol... we just want to find out if its because the aluminum flywheel is lighter, and confusing the sensor as it may not be as "sluggish" and the sensor gets confused at idle.

Its not a warranty item, its just a pain in the butt that I want to get fixed. If I have to go back to stock flywheel, just to stop it, I will. Might try the mopar ECU/PCM just because that thing doesnt seem to care, even if you connected Afterburners to your car (very mod friendly pcm).

PS. ok, I dont really know about afterburners, its just a guess.. ;-)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I already have a mopar, and contrary to most, It actually made power on my car when I had the RIGHT mods associated with it. (We wont start the Mopar PCM haters thing again). Anyway, since I have the mopar one, I will just use that. I am sure an earlier one would work just fine too. I probably should switch to mopar one anyway, as it adds more fuel. Since I am supercharged, that can only help (within reason).

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I fitted mine I got a heck of a lot of hydraulic lifter rattle. It went away after the second time I started the motor, and I put it down to rotating the engine the wrong way as I fitted and tightened the flywheel. Never really understood why though.

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Are you interested in selling your old 2002 PCM? My 01 RT runs very hot and I have been told that I should try another PCM or maybe have one reprogramed and keep my stock PCM for the tough Ca emission testing...

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to check your plug wire connections at the coil pack. The coil pack is close to the bell housing and when removing it the bell housing may have come in contact with the plug wires knocking one loose?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it can be cleared, and takes a few weeks to come back, also only happens on start up. Then you reset it, and you have to wait 3+ weeks for it to come back. So no, its not a perminent disconnected cable or anything. Its something thats intermitent.

Jon

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking with Sean Roe about this very issue this afternoon. According to Sean.. the newer computers have some code in them to throw a misfire code if the engine accelerates... or decellerates faster or slower than it is supposed to....

So the theory is if you install the lighter flywheel... or an S/C.... it will throw that code and check light.... regardless.

He indicated the "fix" was to swap out your computer for an earlier computer that does not include this "code"???

Maybe Sean can be more specific..... but I found the converation interesting and it does make sense?

Good Luck,
Lance

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I had a "multiple misfires" code, and two different Viper techs looked at it, and neither one of them found it. Then John Horton of Victory Vipers looked at it, and found the throttle position sensor wasn't sending enough voltage to the computer. He replaced it for me, and the multiple misfires codes hasn't come back in over two thousand miles.

That sensor might be just one of many causes for the code, but its worth checking.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can reprogram your existing PCM and just delete that error code completley. It is not a common problem, but it has happened before. Check out the PCM re-programming thread in the New Products & Supplier Specials section.

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking with Sean Roe about this very issue this afternoon. According to Sean.. the newer computers have some code in them to throw a misfire code if the engine accelerates... or decellerates faster or slower than it is supposed to....

So the theory is if you install the lighter flywheel... or an S/C.... it will throw that code and check light.... regardless.

He indicated the "fix" was to swap out your computer for an earlier computer that does not include this "code"???

Maybe Sean can be more specific..... but I found the converation interesting and it does make sense?

Good Luck,
Lance

Ding, ding, ding, ding.............

We have a WINNER on the misfire detection/lightened flywheel quiz.

DynoDave

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DynoDave you need help ;-)

Malcoll !! I knew it !! I had a really strong feeling it was those dang newer computers !! In goes the Mopar PCM (Just happen to have a spare laying around !!) Thanks !!

Jon

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a "multiple misfires" code, and two different Viper techs looked at it, and neither one of them found it. Then John Horton of Victory Vipers looked at it, and found the throttle position sensor wasn't sending enough voltage to the computer. He replaced it for me, and the multiple misfires codes hasn't come back in over two thousand miles.

That sensor might be just one of many causes for the code, but its worth checking.

John Horton is at West Coast..........

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if you were to rev the engine in neutral? Would the engine accelerate too fast and set the code?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

John Horton is at West Coast..........

Proof reading is priceless.

What an idiot I am.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the engine must be under a load to set a misfire code.

Really ?? Why does mine do it at idle out of gear, while I am letting the car warm up before I go drive it ? Sarcasm aside, I have real world proof of at least 1 condition where that statement is not true.

Jon

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very strange. With a DRB3 hooked up you may want to check if your 'CALC ENGINE LOAD' is showing greater than 12% at idle. This may be indicative of another problem with your car or PCM.

VANTA'SVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAVE A 2001 GTS,WEST COAST VIPER INSTALLED A FIDANZA FLYWHEEL IN IT.I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.
THE ONLY CHANGE THERE WAS WAS A FASTER QUARTER MILE TIME.
12.7@111 :2tu: :usa: